Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Carman Weather Report of Wellington (for the last week)

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default The Carman Weather Report of Wellington (for the last week)

[i:318f263391]Someone asked recently asked me how the weather in NZ is in the winter....and that they heard it was a lot like Wales. Below is my response (just edited a little for a wider audience).....[/i:318f263391]

Well, being from Florida (err, the US) I don't know much about the outside world. Is Walesland next to Fiji?

Just kidding!! [size=9:318f263391][color=blue:318f263391](and yes, "Walesland" was on purpose....MB, Taffy, Welshgirl, and anyone else from Wales)[/color:318f263391][/size:318f263391]

When it comes to weather and the British Isles I just think of one thing (whether it's Scotland, England, the Isle of Man.....or Walesland).....rain, rain, and more rain.

Here in NZ there is this strange thing in the sky that's orange, is quite hot, and has a tendancy to cause skin cancer. Since a lot of you are from the UK, you may not be familiar with it. It's called the sun. (pronounced the same way as son) :icon_cool: :icon_wink:

About 4 months ago I moved to Wellington, where it's quite windy. The locals are describing this as the worst winter ever. Well, let me describe the last week for you:

Thursday 13th July - Sun, sun, glorious sun. And not very windy. I could easily have mistakenly assumed I was in Florida in the summer. 15 (celsius....around 60 F).

Fri - sunny during the day I think, overcast evening, and a light drizzle at night.

Sat - drizzle, drizzle, drizzle, and around 11C. Very much like what your used to in the winter now. I actually moved that day (no furniture, just clothes, computer, etc)....it wasn't all that bad. Now, the really odd thing about that day is that it got better as the sun disappeared. That night it was about 14C at night, and clear, with not much wind.

Sun - Beautiful day.

Mon - See Sunday.

Tue - I was out walking a lot this day, and it was a bit chilly (11C?) and a little rainy in the morning. But about midday I was sweating thanks to having too much clothing on. I'd say it got up to about 16C. (side note: this is my 2nd anniversary for being in NZ)

Wed - Drizzly most of the day. But not as bad as Saturday.

Thur 20th July - today has started off overcast and drizzly. It wasn't very windy though.

So out of the past 7 days, 3 of them were beautiful sunny days. I haven't seen a straight week of bad weather here yet.....and keep in mind, I'm in the middle of the [b:318f263391]"worst winter in decades"[/b:318f263391] for Wellington.

The summer is wonderful. Highs of 26, and not rainy. For me in Florida, weather wise summer was the worst. 34 highs, 4-6pm thunderstorms, yuck. I actually perk up now when I hear a thunderstorm. I've seen/heard 13 in 2 years (yes, I keep track). Autumn and Spring aren't bad either.

www.wunderground.com is a nice weather site. It also has a history, so you can see what it was like this time last year, a few years ago, or look in the middle of summer (say mid Jan) and see the swealtering 26 degree heat (hahahahaha. I love Kiwis :icon_biggrin: Now, since I'm from Florida 26 is like 4am in the morning in the summer for me).

My biggest pet peeve in NZ - the cold and damp houses. I just realised it a few weekends ago as I was flat hunting. I'll keep this part short, but there are ways around this. Look for a home newer than the mid 90's and it should have insulation. The heating you'll probably have to take care of yourself.

Here's an interesting article ("Cult of Cold") that really got me upset with Kiwis, more so than I ever have been before (but I still love em) - http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepress/0,...a13135,00.html [i:318f263391](note, some of the stats seem to be pulled from the air with no sources. Take them with a grain of salt, but still, the "culture" is right on)[/i:318f263391]

No insulation (pre mid 90's), no central heating, no double glazed windows. And thanks to poor ventilation (no central heating/cooling) it can be quite damp in the homes. There are builders in the US that would get sued for that....but not here. Kiwis are a hearty folk :icon_rolleyes:

Call me a spoiled American (or actually, I could be spoiled from Europe, or Australia) that is used to homes without mold/mildew and that are comfortable in the winter.

Ok, enough of that rant. There are ways to protect yourself, other than "just throw on another jumper".

The winter isn't bad here at all (if you take the houses out of the picture). It's slightly warmer in Florida. But that's saying a lot, since Florida is subtropical, and the summers are exponentially hotter (and more humid) than in NZ.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

We live in the warmest part of New Zealand ... in wintertime that is, there are other areas which get higher summer temperatures. So, yes, winter is much warmer than we are used to in the UK.

Housing insulation and heating is getting better ... slowly. I do think in a lot of cases that the Kiwi attitude to this is due to the cost of it. Surely it cannot be that difficult to design a cheap Kiwi-looking house that is well insulated with a heating system that is economic?

I think what particularly helps surviving winter weather is the number of days with sunshine, which is in some cases over 1,000 hours a year more than you would get in the UK, and it is a strong warm sun. It is absolutely ridiculous more effort is not made to use the sun's energy.

:icon_rolleyes:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Yeah there better, like you pojnted out, some days are really foul but the next sunny day really makes up for it. In england it was the endless greyness that was so unbeareable.

Once we get of this crappily built house and into one that's been done properly from the outset it will be a doddle I'm sure. Really looking forward to summer tho now. Specially today it's properly grim.

[quote:b2770fb125="SteveyC"]Specially today it's properly grim.[/quote:b2770fb125]

Aye, that it is Stevey. So what part of Welly are ya in?

Karori, just round t'corner from you. We nearly rented a place on Erris way in J'ville.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Stevey ... :icon_wink:

Isn't it about time you changed your location from "Herefordshire, UK" then?

:icon_cool:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Decided I will when things good start happening. Don't wanna jinx myself.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Yeah, we all know about you and jinxes. Let's hope those bad old day are over. New country, no jinxes.
    [img:a450ebc4f5]http://www.invision.smileyville.net/smilies/manga%20(5).gif[/img:a450ebc4f5] [img:a450ebc4f5]http://abcwebworx.com/smilies/happy/happy145.gif[/img:a450ebc4f5] [img:a450ebc4f5]http://bestsmileys.com/fingers/1.gif[/img:a450ebc4f5]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

amen sister

[quote:30efe6b5b4="SteveyC"]Karori, just round t'corner from you. We nearly rented a place on Erris way in J'ville.[/quote:30efe6b5b4]

Cool. I looked at Karori when I first got here.

I'm in Thorndon now, just moved this past weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast