Thread: How much cash???

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Default How much cash???

Cheeky I know but I'm gonna ask anyway.... :icon_wink:

Is anyone willing to tell me about how much cash they took out with them? I'm only asking coz there are all these indications of everything getting dearer and dearer in NZ and yet all you guys seem to be able to cope pretty well financially. It's made me wonder whether the key to setting yourself up is literally how much capital you take with you.

When we go next summer, we hope to be able to take about ?100,000 with us but we're not taking anything else - no furniture or belongings. I'm quite concerned that we're going to struggle to manage. We'll need to start again really, from scratch. How does this compare with other people?

I am aware this is a sensitive and closed issue for some people and I'm not trying to be nosey, I'm just trying to be able to make rational and informed choices instead of just crossing my fingers and hoping it'll all be fine when we get there.

Thanks guys
    :icon_biggrin:

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Default How much cash???

Hi Dawn,
    It's no more nosey than any other questions we all ask!!! :icon_neutral:
    We're hoping to go in a few weeks time and have always known that we wouldn't have much money, (we don't own any property and have 2 small children so I work very limited hours!).
    We are struggling to the end to accumilate some cash... selling things, asking family, earning etc...
    we aim to take out quite alot of things with us but I am already starting to change my mind and agrre with my hubby that we should not take out our white goods and but new out there. This to me, seems even more money will be need then as the shipping quote doesn't seem to decrease even with those things gone!
    So, although I can't give you an estimate of how much money we will end up taking, I can say that 100k is a hell of alot to have! I take it you'll be working too? If so, then I think you will have no worries for a few years.... you could even buy a house right out and not worry about rent or a mortgage with that amount. It would only take less than ?10k to buy all of your funiture etc... let alone a car so I wouldn't worry!
    We'll be doing it on a tiny fraction of that amount and are positive in our thinking that we will still be able to afford to get started/equipped, a car and still have some savings to put towards a deposit on a house in the future!
    I hope that makes you feel better!! :icon_biggrin:
    Debra

Default How much cash???

Thanks Deb for your reply. We made the money on buying a b&b 4 years ago that we couldn't really afford but hoped it would kind of pay for itself! The business would have worked out a lot better if we hadn't been as lazy, but the value of the property did go up and so we've done OK but as I said before, we've had to struggle over the last few years.

Having that extra income did give us the freedom to be able to do what we wanted to do though instead of doing what we had to do, without it I would never have gone back to free-lancing and Gary would also be hung up in a 9-5.

Yeah, we intend to work once we get there but we're going on a VV so goodness knows how long it'll take us to find jobs and settle down!

Please understand it's not the having the cash that's important to us, more the having enough to see us settle before it all slips through our fingers on everyday living!

I keep thinking about when we went on holiday, we couldn't afford to go for several years and then last year we so needed a break that we took out a loan and went to Skiathos for a fortnight, knowing we could pay off the loan with the house sale. Just buying a few lilos for the kids and eating out every night and not at posh places either, and you've spent a grand in a few weeks and we're not extravagant people believe me. One of the reasons we want out of here is because of the 'got to have' British mentality.

Thanks again Deb :006:

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default How much cash???

Hi Dawn,

If we ever sell the car we will have about ?118k to take. We re hoping that this will cover buying a car, 1year work and travel (so hopefully the work will meanm not too much savings to spend) and then shipping costs of most of our stuff but not white goods, buying 2/3 bed house with decent garden (maybe ?80k) maybe second car depending where we will be living and working, all asscociated moving fees with Immi, replacing the items we will not be shipping and a small chunk to save with. My private littlew dream is that buying a house outright will mean that we can both work for 4 days and as we not seen each other hardly at all since we married and moved to kent with jobs working stupid days (but don't get me started), but that is a dream and inreality unlikely till we properly settled, esp as have to get job with skills to get pr to begin with.

I don't know if this will help and we don't have little'uns so I wouldn't know if that effects costs. But feel free to PM any other questions (will be flying out Thurs tho so may not answer Thurs, fri, sat :icon_wink: )

Cheers, Helen :006:

NickampJacky Guest

Default How much cash???

Dawn

Although people are sayin that things in NZ are getting more expensive now, that is probably from an earned NZ$ as opposed to a converted ?. When we started monitoring the exchange rate last November it was sitting at $2.46 to the ?. So ?10,000 for furniture would have given you $24,600 to spend. Now its sitting at just under $3 to the ?.

We locked into a rate of $3.04, so we are $116,000 dollars better of with the funds we are taking. Simple maths will give you an idea of what we are taking. In real terms, these exta $ could buy a property for us to rent out, or a new 6 berth camper. Chances are we will squirrel it away in a high interest account for the kids - might sneek a boat out of it though, maybe.

Apart from a car for Jacky, we have budgeted $5000 for a few items we cant take/ or dont have yet. Namely a TV, patio furniture and a BBQ. The rest of our furniture is coming by container. We intend to buy a house as soon as we can, although the interest we will earn on our cash will more than pay for a rental.

That enough for you Dawn?

Oh! have you read your way through the NZ books yet?

Cheers

Nick

Default How much cash???

I agree Dawn with getting away from the 'must haves'!
    It seems as long as you both can find the right work asap, you'll be laughing so it's probably just a matter of moving to the right location with good work prospects. I have to say that you are much more organised than us, in your timescale, so it's good you're covering everthing at this stage! You're right on the ball and will surely make it work by thorough planning!

Gosh, I feel even more skint/concerned now than before!!! (Are we the only ones here with such a tight/tiny budget???? :-/ :(
    Good luck and all the best to everyone.... one day we'll all be there... hopefully laughing at such fears!!! ;)
    Debra

Default How much cash???

Deb, never planned anything in my life!! Organised? Us? No, no, no. Gary is more bothered than I am to be honest, he's the one that likes thing sewn up and nice and safe, I'd fly out with ?2.50 and a tube of smarties!

Yeah, yeah I read all those books in about a week and a half so if anybody else wants them let me know! And your point about growing expenditure, I posted in a different thread that I wondered whether it was just coz those kiwis had had it so good for so long that now they were worrying about rapidly rising costs. Seriously though, it is concerning.

It's not just a dream to think that life can be made to work the way you want it too either. Gary and I really didn't want to spend all day every day away from each other with the kids in daycare and weekends spent catching up on the household jobs you don't have time to do in the week. That's why we did what we did and bought this place. It's been really tough at times, I mean nail bitingly scary but throughout it all we've had each other. The kids have always been dropped off and picked up by one or the other of us, Gary can start work and finish work when it suits and I only take the work I want to do and am truly committed to. That way, since Poppy has been at nursery, we can still sneak an afternoon or two at home together :icon_wink:

We still have to watch the pennies but we are much more content that we can be true to ourselves and not be wage slaves!

But God, you know we still have two kids with many years left at school and a daughter to get through uni!!!! And a fortune to spend in dance shoes and physio bills.

Heigh ho - we believe everything is a means to an end - but Gary still likes to keep an eye on the bank balance! :icon_lol:

Default How much cash???

Good for you all Dawn! ;D You can just tell that New Zealand will be the place for you! (Or so I can tell!).... we haven't been before but done so much research and asked many questions etc.... in the end, you have to make it work and if it really isn't for us in the end, you can come back! ... or go somewhere else where the wind takes you ;) .
    All I've done so far really is sort one of the sheds out!! It's wrapping up my tiny business that's causing me the most stress! I'm really looking forward to being on that flight.
    We hope to go on the 4th Sept from London via Hong Kong then onto Auckland....... oooh so exciting!
    You certainly have your hands full with family life and sorting everyone out but you will get ther, time will fly by!
    Bye for now,
    Deb

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default How much cash???

This thread makes me laugh!!!!

We've nearly spent ?10,000 in our 2 months (almost) here. We brought a car and all the fittings for our rental. 100k might just see you cope regardless of how extravagantly you plan to live. Even if you didn't work for 3 years. The initial outlay is high for sure but not to the scales you're worrying about. It's noy like we'd spend that much every 2 months from now on.

Of course if this has got to cater for house purchases as well then it's a completely different matter, p'raps I misunderstood the original question.

Default How much cash???

This thread makes me laugh!!!!

We've nearly spent ?10,000 in our 2 months (almost) here. We brought a car and all the fittings for our rental. 100k might just see you cope regardless of how extravagantly you plan to live. Even if you didn't work for 3 years. The initial outlay is high for sure but not to the scales you're worrying about. It's noy like we'd spend that much every 2 months from now on.

Of course if this has got to cater for house purchases as well then it's a completely different matter, p'raps I misunderstood the original question.
    Don'ty forgetty that we're coming over on VV so, we have to find jobs and get work permits before we can even think about getting a mortgage and I guess the bank want to see you in employment for a certain period of time before they'll consider giving you one anyway. But, once we've got jobs we'll need a mortgage as I'm sure that amount of cash won't run to buying a 4 bedroom house flat out, we're hoping it won't be that large (the mortgage I mean), so yeah it includes everything Stevey.

Just trying to steady Garys nerves from jingle jangling Stevey that's all. It matters so much more to him than it does to me. Don't want to get there and find all money gone in 6 months and nothing left to either stay with or come home with now do we?

Once we're there and we have a better idea of day to day living then maybe our original anxieties will make us laugh too ;D

Hope so! 8-)