Thread: Medical Question

Babycatcher is offline Junior Member

Default Medical Question

Hi,
    My husband had his medical at the end of May as he was going out to Oz to work as a steepping stone to us going to NZ, whilst out there he had a heart attack and has since had a triple heart bypass, does anyone know if this will stop us being able to emigrate? we have been given out invitation to apply on my job, but I'm not sure if his ticker falling of it@s hook will change things!!!

Any help will be greatly recieved.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Medical Question

Hi Babycatcher,

What a worrying time you must have had while your hubby was undergoing treatment for his heart attack. I hope he?s making a good recovery now and you can relax a bit.

No doubt he had his medical before the heart attack happened and that he would need another one (medical, not heart attack [img:9851080c73]http://www.smilies.smileyville.net/smilies/923.gif[/img:9851080c73] ) for his application to immigrate to NZ? Pity you couldn?t have used the Oz medical for the NZ application as well, but they?re only valid for 3 months anyway.

What NZIS is looking for in the medicals is whether he would be a burden on their health system. If he recovered fully from his op one would hope that he wouldn?t need too much in the way of further treatment. However, if this has just happened recently, NZIS might be a bit sceptical when it comes to his application until he?s ?proved? his health has settled down again after the op. Having a heart attack is a pretty big issue and I wouldn?t like to hazard a guess whether or not they would accept his application at the moment.

To save yourselves the cost of medicals that may be of no use if the application is turned down, I think I?d be inclined to give NZIS a ring and get it from the horse?s mouth. I'm not much help I'm afraid but will wish you good luck.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Babycatcher is offline Junior Member

Default Medical Question

Hi,
    Thanks for that, luckily he is making a very good recovery and is going back to work next week (3 weeks post op)!

Thanks for the advice, I will give the NZIS a ring tomorrow. :039:

I ONLY ROCK WHEN THE VOICES STOP TALKING TO ME!!!

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Medical Question

Babycatcher, I'm hoping for the best in your husband's recovery, and for your ability to immigrate.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

moggy is offline God like figure

Default Medical Question

I would definitely get in touch with NZIS first.
    However don't assume that it means you can't go, as mother bear said they are only concerned that you won't cost them much in health care.
    The criteria is that you will not cost them more than $15K in the first four years. If he is now fit and healthy and not likely to need much in the way of treatment for a long time to come, you could be OK

If you apply you will most likely get an initial recommendation for rejection. Your application will then be referred over to the chief medical assessor in NZ, if he also recommends rejection you will then have the opportunity to give more information. If that fails, you can then appeal, if that fails you will then be entitle to apply for a medical waiver.

However, if when you submit your application form, you give all the information, including consultants reports, you may be able to be accepted without going through all that hassle. ie. Do not just submit the medical report on its own.