Thread: Nz Road Map

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default Nz Road Map

I remember reading a while ago a question about where to get NZ atlases without waiting weeks for delivery. Just spent ages looking for the thread but no joy so you got a new thread instead.

We wanted to order the AA Road Map of NZ off the net but told out of print. Then we happened to be in Ottakers in town (a small one at that) and they not only had the AA atlas we were looking for but a good selection of Fold out maps (as opposed to altas type book).

We bought the AA atlas ands the Rough Guide fold out map for about ?15. We looked at all the other fold out maps but the RG one seemed best, esp as on plastic paper therefore waterproof, tearproof and you can write and rub.

Hope this helps those who are planning trips at the mo.

Helen.

moggy is offline God like figure

Default Nz Road Map

I got the AA one from Amazon.

The Rough Guide is OK, but I would prefer a slightly larger scale - fine for touring the main roads, but no good for the smaller ones. It would have been a much better scale for it to have one island per side
    Athough it doesn't tear the RG one after a while (3 weeks) the print starts coming off due to the grease on your fingers

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Nz Road Map

Hi,

Another thing to remember is that Car Hire places give you all these for free, so if you're hiring a car when you go out you'll get a whole pack of Maps/B&B listing and other NZ books. Might save you some cash.

I'm not sure, I could be wrong when I say this but I think the stands in AKL airport had freebie maps as well? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Default Nz Road Map

You do get loads of freebie maps - pretty well every tourist place that you look, however the RG map is good to have in advance to plan your route (good to use with the rough guide).
    Also the AA atlas is way better than any of the freebies in the detail that you get on it.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Nz Road Map

'Twas me who made the original post.

I brought a Wises sporal bound map of NZ and it's really good in terms of detail and town plans etc. Not a decent route planner tho which was a bummer really. Used the Avis one we got free for that tho and it's been ok.

Realistically I think the AA ones may be better.

We also borrowed a really cool suburb map for Wellington of our friends down here, which was really cool for finding rentals etc. Meant you just needed an address and you could drive by and have a look. Also good for knowing where the smaller suburbs might be when looking for rentals on the net or in classifieds etc.

Hope this helps

Default Nz Road Map

Yes, I picked up a couple of street maps whilst in NZ, they have been great for trying to wokr out which areas are practicle for commuting, and finding this like where to pick up the keys for the PO box

NickampJacky Guest

Default Nz Road Map

Real Estate Agents tend to give away decent street maps. Summit in Nelson covers the whole Tasman area along with street plans of all the town and 'burbs and most places with more than a dozen streets.

Our copy that we had sent over is worn out though! It sits by the pc and is referred to every time we surf for house sales / rentals. Just saw a rental thats coming available the week we get there.....wow we thought, that brought it all home how soon we are going now

Cheers

Nick

Default Nz Road Map

Why don't you use multimap? It covers NZ and is quicker to pull up the location of places

NickampJacky Guest

Default Nz Road Map

'Cos being a bloke I can only concerntrate on one window being open on my computer at a time- and having a proper paper map we can draw circles on makes it easier.