Thread: What Items Do You Wished You'd Brought Over To NZ With You?

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Default What Items Do You Wished You'd Brought Over To NZ With You?

Hi all,
    Out of interest, are there any items that you wished you'd shipped over with you to NZ that you didn't?
    Anything at all? Or anything that you'd recommend to bring that you can't easily get there?
    Thanks

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Deb,

Make sure you bring a hairdryer with low voltage...

When we were there last year, my first night in NZ, I got a lovely hot shower, washed my hair, went to dry it before going for something to eat and it blew up!! You can imagine how gutting that is to someone with naturally curly hair who insists on it being straight.

Went out looking for a hairdryer and couldnt find one anywhere! All the shops shut at 5pm in the little town of Waihi and even the hairdressers didnt sell hairdryers :icon_cry: I was gutted, I wandered round on our first day with fuzzy hair...

Eventually found the only hairdryer for sale in a little supermarket, I was the happiest woman alive :icon_biggrin:

I'm sure in the bigger cities you'd get one no problem but just be warned...

Just thought I'd share that with you tee hee....

As for anything you'd need to get by day to day I'd imagine you'd be able to buy things quite easily, dont know prices wise tho?

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Can't think of anything.

Do take plenty of travel adaptor plugs - not only is it a pain changing plugs, but some items need that fused UK plug on them due to the slight difference in voltage here. I've changed the plugs on lamps, radio/cd players, etc. but still use UK plugs with adaptors for the UK fan heaters.

Also take over a couple of four or six-gang sockets. We have the UK tv, video, and playstation plugged into one of those.

Bought a new hairdryer here so did not have that problem ... have heard that some UK kettles can go pop.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Thanks for that Amy :icon_lol: and I bet your hair looks lovely curly too!!!
    Good point though, I'll remember that!
    Thankyou too Glenda, glad to hear you didn't really need anything extra. We'll be buying most electricals out there but did you take all of your white goods too? Still debating whether to bring them!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

[quote:a3915f3130="Debd"]We'll be buying most electricals out there but did you take all of your white goods too? Still debating whether to bring them![/quote:a3915f3130]

I've heard they can be pretty expensive, but that's not to say you couldn't get some more reasonable prices during one of the frequent sales or if you're prepared to hunt around first. All depends whether the time you'll need the appliances will coincide with a sale.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Our white goods were integral in our UK kitchen so we did not bring them (they were getting old, anyway).

We spent $4060 (just checked the invoice) for a new dishwasher, large fridge-freezer and washing machine. These were definitely not the cheapest - the dishwasher and fridge-freezer are stainless-steel finish, and the washing machine one of the larger ones.

HTH
    :icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Yes I'd heard that they were on the expensive side too and it does work out cheaper for us to take them in our container... as it's [i:7618701373]my[/i:7618701373] stuff that will take up the room!
    Thanks Glenda for giving me an idea of different prices, at least I can look at yours as being in the 'higher' end of the bracket.
    Just hope our things don't pack up once we're out there, as these things can do once you move them! :icon_confused:
    We'll probably have to buy a cooker too if they're not already in rental properties.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

[quote:eef9d586cd="Debd"]We'll probably have to buy a cooker too if they're not already in rental properties.[/quote:eef9d586cd]

I wouldn't be surprised if a cooker is one of the items that must be included when a house is put up for rent. I think this is the case even when you buy a house, as I read it somewhere and there was certainly one left in the house we bought. Anyway, a lot of the more modern NZ houses have built in cookers/ovens/hobs so you'd likely come by one by default.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

There's been some really grotty cookers in the rentals we've seen tho. Can't recall seeing any without a cooker so far, substantiating your point.