Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not Oz?

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Why not Oz?

Hello,

I dont want to offend anyone but I've never been to Oz and as much as I'm sure it's a wonderful place to visit/live in it's never taken my fancy.

Hubby would quite like to visit it when we come across to NZ on our WHV at some point but as I say I'm not fussed.

He's also dropped in on conversation that perhaps we could take 6 months or so out and see what Oz is like compared to NZ.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any views on Oz and any reasons why they choose NZ over OZ.

Any comments welcome...

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Why not Oz?

This is an old post from the forum, which gives an idea of how some people would answer the question.

I think wages can be higher in Oz, but no doubt the cost of living is higher as well. I know Oz is trying to attract people in by offering a reduction in taxes, thereby competing with NZ.

Personally I wouldn?t be too happy about the nasties that can do much more harm than anything in NZ. It?s said that there?s no snakes in NZ, so that?ll do me for a start.

The further north you go in Oz, the hotter and drier it gets. Sounds great for a holiday, but when you have to live in it year round, it?s really difficult. There?s been some very bad bush fires in the Sydney area over the years, something you don?t hear of in NZ (at least, I haven?t) as everything's so green.

These are just a few observations seeing as I?ve never been to Oz, so I?m sure others that have can fill in the gaps for you. I?d say, great for a holiday, but not so sure about living there full time. Other people think differently and would love to live in Oz. Some have left NZ to go to Oz, but then come back to NZ. So it?s horses for courses and all that.

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default Why not Oz?

Mike always wanted to go to Oz, I always wanted to go to NZ. On honeymoon we did both. We were told that we would prefer Oz as it would be friendlier and NZers can be unwelcoming.

Well, we fell in love with NZ, arrived Aucks in the tail end of a cyclone but was still friendly and welcoming. Everyone was helpful, we booked bus to Coramandel Penisular and acc and chap was great. Got there and again real; nice. Everyone we met stopped and talked and helped and noticed us.

In Oz we were one of the crowd and although people were friendly and helpful it was not to the same degree and in the same way. We felt like we do in the UK, kinda lemming like and not significant. Kinda like an ant in a anthill rather than sharing in life. This makes it sound like we think we think we are something special and be noticed and thats not what i mean. Just i guess that we found Oz more insular and NZ more open. I'm not sure how much sense i have made.

Also the climate ws better for us and we like the thought of going to a country where all is within reach like the UK whereas Oz is so big. Even the cities in NZ are small and compact and not scary like in the UK.

Well I could waffle on for ages but prob shouldn't. We have many many reasons but above all it just feels right!

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Why not Oz?

Hi Amy, I'm with you! But I'm often being asked why we chose NZ over Oz.
    Many people who have been to both say the places are pretty different from each other... seems to be more earning opportunity and a buzzier life in Oz but still 'behind' the UK, where as the the impression of NZ in comparison seems to be that it's even more friendlier, prettier but 'behind' Oz in modernity!
    Yet, Auckland especially, is supposed to be quite arty and not behind the times at all, more innovators! (Contradicting comments come from everywhere ;)
    !!!)
    Still, it might be nice to visit if you get the chance. I think I would want to more before I had children as it seems a good sociable 'nightlife' kinda place.
    like MB, the creepy crawlies DO put me off somewhat!!

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Why not Oz?

I've heard pretty similar things. Most people enjoyed Oz but prefered the way of life in NZ.

I'm sure Stu will drag me over at some point to see what its like. Might as well if we're at that side of the world I guess ??

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Why not Oz?

I read up and researched a lot on Australia when we decided to visit. OK, we only spent three weeks in Oz - around the Perth area, Adelaide area and south of Sydney - however, we did not expect to be as 'wowwed' by it as we were.

In our opinion, Perth must be one of the most beautiful cities on earth. We had a great time there looking around up and down the coast getting a feel for the place, visiting the zoo, a wildlife park, looking at the houses and shopping malls. Adelaide was a little 'downmarket' in comparison, but had its charm and outside of the city it was more like the Oz we see on tv - dry, dusty, roaming kangaroos. In comparison, the area south of Sydney was incredibly green - only possible with plenty of rain and humidity - and the towns were modern, friendly and seemed a great place to bring up a family. Sydney itself is massive - we spent two full days there sightseeing and it is (to pinch a Kiwi term) awesome.

There is a lot to see in Australia - it is hard to believe the continent is almost the size of Europe. The people seem very patriotic and there is a feeling of a nation 'going places'. I got the impression (rightly or wrongly) that immigrants were just tolerated in Oz whereas in New Zealand they were welcomed a little bit more. The pay is much better in Oz and the tax system is supposed to be getting better. There is a better standard of living there, that is one of the reasons it is so popular with immigrants. The heat/creepy crawlie issue is one that is overcome after a while - most people acclimatise to the weather and eventually accept and live with the wildlife.

New Zealand is, however, just as awesome, and a great place to live. If however I was an immigrant with bare minimum savings and a job which paid little (for example, nursing or teaching) I would go to Oz.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Why not Oz?

Whether it's NZ or Aus, I think the argument is basically the same: most Brits crave the vast, open spaces and laid-back lifestyle that both countries offer. My parents are no different, especially as they grew up in London.

As a naturist myself (not the nude kind :icon_eek: ), I love the thought of being able to discover vast landscapes that have bearly changed with time. I find the so-called excitement and 'vibrancy' of large cities to be grossly overrated. Give me open spaces and natural beauty anyday.

Thanks for the NZ V Aus comparison, Glenda.

Tottefan.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Default Why not Oz?

Oz or NZ? That's easy...

My friend in Queensland found this cheeky chap in his chicken shed last week.

http://uk.geocities.com/kokopeli@bti...om/ozornz.html

It explains why he has been losing a hen a month...

...and why I'm moving to NZ!!

johnty is offline Senior Member

Default Why not Oz?

yep,that right there kokopeli is the a big reason i choose NZ over OZ
    as i am a sparky and get into lofts and under houses i realy dont like things that maybe lurking there that well ,may kill me.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Default Why not Oz?

Hi Johnty,

Can you imagine meeting one of those behind a water tank? I think the dog was lucky not to have been eaten as well!

I'm glad you got to see the pics - I think I've been bombed out by Geocities for having a hyperlink from an 'outside' site. Can anyone suggest a photoboard I can use on this forum?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast