Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Transport

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Public Transport

Hello,

Does anyone know what the public transport in NZ is like?

We never used it when we visited last year and I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on it?

We're only going to have one car between us when we get out there so if we do need to travel to work daily one of us may need to use Public Transport if its not within walking distance.

Any experiences??

NickampJacky Guest

Default Public Transport

We used public transport to get ourselves in and out of Auckland, clean and cheap would be our comments on it. The timetable was a bit all over the place though - but this probably had something to do with it being the New Year holidays etc.

Cheers

Nick

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default Public Transport

Hi Amy,

We only used it once in Auckland to get bus out to Kelly Tarltons and back and it was fine. Clean, cheap, and not crowded.

Can't offer much more than that tho I'm afraid.

Helen.

Default Public Transport

Hi Nick & Helen,

Thanks for that. Just not heard of many people taking the bus or train places, most people work and live in the same district by the sounds of things and can get to them easy on foot or by car.

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default Public Transport

Not sure there is much of a train network. I forget what i read, I am sure everyone will jump on me but I am sure there is no national network, maybe just a few local ones. As i say I can't really remember what i read. Will see if i can dig it out. Trams, yes in places I think.

Not really sure of much am i? Just disreg`ard everything I say and ask someone who knows! :icon_wink:

Default Public Transport

You and me both then, I'm getting all muddled with what I've read as well.

I honestly cant remember seeing much public transport when we were in NZ but we had a rental car and used that all the time so didnt really take notice of anything else.

Only time we used public transport was using the AKL airport bus and that was it!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Public Transport

I know that in Auckland there are buses from the suburbs going into the City. There is also a railway line going to the CBD from the west, east and south.

There is a rail service from Auckland to Wellington, and in Wellington itself there are more lines and probably more train use than Auckland.

In the South Island there is a passenger service from Picton to Christchurch, and Christchurch to Greymouth. In Christchurch itself trains are not extensively used.

Thats all the info I can offer.

:icon_neutral:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

pianist is offline Junior Member

Default Public Transport

My experiences with public transport was limited to Christchurch only, since this is where we would move to (at the time, we didn't know if we would or not). They have a good bus system and we used it quite a bit. I am planning on taking the bus to work (when I find a job!) and also to do errands. Gone will be the days when I would just fill the trunk (boot) of my car when I do all my grocery and household shopping on the weekend! It will be a minor adjustment...scheduling with my hubby when I can get to use the car we will share. I don't forsee problems.
    Good luck!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Public Transport

I don't know if it'll be any help to look on the Master Website List under Travel and Transport. There's different sections for rail, ferry and other forms of transport, but I don't know if it'll cover the area you're looking for.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Default Public Transport

I get the bus into Auckland fromthe North Shore as it's cheaper than parking!

Friendly drivers, clean, comfortable, no graffiti! It's great not to have to chuck the right change into a hole because the drivers behind a safety screen!

If not, I drive to devonport and get the ferry across...........not so cheap though but a more interesting route!

Apparently, an American company bought out the train servives then went bust so theres not such an extensive service.........my brother lives by a railway line and I've only ever seen (and heard!) freight trains

Fisheress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast