Thread: Newish People! Hello.......

graemeandtania is offline Junior Member

Default Newish People! Hello.......

Hello everybody.....

My fiance Tania and I have been members of the site for a while now - ever since we first started planning the big move, and along the way we have found it a great place to come to get the answers to our questions. Well now we are really on the way, our flights are booked, NZQA and Teacher Reg completed and EOI selected, we have just found out that we have interviews with a principal for papatoetoe who is visiting London at the end of the month so we are really excited!!!

What we are really hoping to do is start getting in touch with people in Auckland and Christchurch (thats where we want to end up) teachers and non teachers, old and young (we're 26 & 27) who we can exchange info with and hopefully develop a bit of a group of people that we can meet up with if you want to when we arrive in November.

Any advice on anything would be greatfully appreciated - we are both soo excited about our big adventure to the other side of the world - we have done so much research and aren't coming to get rich just want a better quality of life and somewhere better to bring up our family (when we have one!)

Look forward to hearing from someone (hopefully!)

Thanks
    Tania & Graeme :icon_biggrin:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Tania and Graeme,

I?m not going to be of much interest to you as I?m not in NZ yet and not likely to be for a few more years, but I just wanted to wish you all the best for your future down yonder. I hope everything goes well for you and you find what you?re looking for. [img:9c4b9f738b]http://www.invision.smileyville.net/smilies/thumbup.gif[/img:9c4b9f738b]

We have a few members around the Auckland area and Netchicken lives in Christchurch although he, sadly, hasn?t been around the forum since his cycling trip from Turkey to Germany. [img:9c4b9f738b]http://www.invision.smileyville.net/smilies/sad%20(8).gif[/img:9c4b9f738b]

Good luck with the interviews and make sure you let us know how you get on.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Tania and Graeme,

Good luck with your interviews, hope they go well. Bet you cant wait to get across and start your new life.

Hubby and I are similar ages to you guys and packing up and heading out to NZ with a 23 month WHV and taking it from there. We're looking to fly out at the start of August this year, I cant wait.

We're just waiting on the missives on our house being signed on Wed 14th then we can start booking flights.

I can imagine how excited you guys are, keep us posted with how the int's go and all your plans... :icon_biggrin:

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi too,
    We're also hoping to go to NZ around October. My husband, Eddie's job is in Auckland CBD on a 30 month contract.
    We're going for the same reasons as you both.... and for our two little ones, Isaac and Eva Agnes.
    Hope all goes well, exciting isn't it!
    We'd love to meet up with everyone once there... then we can all pinch ourselves \:D/ ha!

NickampJacky Guest

Hi Tania & Graeme

Glad things are moving along well for you, I am sure you will find it rewarding when you do make it out to NZ.

We are off on 17th Sept & cant wait. My advice would be...what ever task/job you realise that you need to do (ie form filling, booking stuff etc) DO IT AS SOON AS YOU CAN. The closer towards the leaving date you get, the faster the days whizz by on the calander. Do not put off until tommorrow what you can do today, there will be plenty to do tommorrow!

About your family when you want one.......my sister in law and hubby went for a year on a working visa & she ended up expecting after 3 months. They had all the pre-natal health care to pay for (scans etc) so could not afford to have the baby in NZ, so they came home to the UK and will now have a bit more of s struggle getting back to NZ.

Hope it all goes well for you

Cheers

Nick

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Hi Tania and Graeme,

We too are bout same age as you guys. We are going 20th July on 1yr WHV in the hope of staying. We gonna do the backpackers bit for the first few months and try and see as much of the country as possible before trying to settle. Not so keen on settlng in Aucks, tho we loved it when we were there last but maybe CHch.

I would echo Nick and Jacky's advice and do what you can as soon as you can. We only gave ourselves 8 wks from decision to departure, we now have 5 left and wonder how in hell its all gonna get done.

Good luck with the interviews and keep us all posted on your progress!

Bye for now, Helen and Mike.

graemeandtania is offline Junior Member

Hi everyone
    Thanks for all your replies - even better Tania has another interview with a really good school (Westlake Boys School) in the North Shore area 2 days before our other interviews so we are really excited.

We have a big To Do list that we are slowly moving through, we move out of our rented flat in 5 weeks and even though we have done countless boot fairs we still seem to have too much stuff - off to live with the parents for a few months which could be fun!!!

We ultimately want to settle in Christchurch but have to be realistic about the fact that the majority of teaching jobs are going to be Auckland

Does anyone know much about South/East Auckland (Bucklands Beach/Half moon Bay/botony downs)? We have ordered the "Where to live in Auckland" book today so can't wait to have it arrive - the cool thing is that it has to come from NZ even though it takes a bit longer to arrive.

We to are planning to do a bit of backpacking when we arrive - hoping to buy a campervan and do the south island in style!!

Has anyone got any experience of the shipping company Excess Baggage? They have given us a quote that is much cheaper than anyone else but just wondered if there is a reason for that!!

It's really nice to speak to like minded people as all our friends think we're crazy as they are all quite happy living in the uk. Can't wait to meet up with people when we get over there or before if anyone wants to!

Keep us informed about how your plans are going :006:

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi Graeme and Tania,
    We also ordered 'Move to NZ' book from NZ, it's very informative but [i:76644a5aee]eo[/i:76644a5aee] many places to confuse you even more! Everywhere sounds so good according to that book :icon_confused:
    All the best, Debra, Eddie, Isaac and Eva Agnes