Thread: Moving to NZ via business buying?

katiej35 is offline Member

Default Moving to NZ via business buying?

Hi, I am thinking of purchasing a hostel business, a bit unsure of doing this from this part of the world but was wondering if this is a viable option, e.g. would a nz bank look at me financially to run a business as an emigrant, what other areas do I need to research/be aware of etc.

thanks

Katie

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you?ve got PR behind you when you go to NZ, you should be able to do more or less what you like. However, I don?t think it would be a good idea, when you have your interview for PR, to mention that you?re thinking of setting up a business if you are applying via the skilled migrant route. The interview will be based on what you are doing to find work in your particular field, as that forms the basis of your application. Also, if you get a job offer and claim extra points for your application, you?d have to stick to something related to your skills and work for 3 months in that position.

If you didn?t go the PR route, you would need to get a LTBV (Long Term Business Visa) to start or run a business. You will need to have owned and run a business in the same line previously. Basically, you have to prove to NZIS that you can make the business succeed and they will only give you a certain time to make it work before they consider chucking you out again.

If you intend to apply for a LTBV you will need to produce a business plan setting out all the ins and outs of how you?re going to go about it. The process is quite complicated and stringent. I?m sure the PR route would be much easier and LTBV is usually an emergency route when you can?t get into NZ any other way.

Sorry, can?t give any help with regard to banks and financing your project. I know they happily lend out to immigrant house purchasers, but I guess they have the property as security against the loan.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thanks Mother Bear. I will stick to the skilled migrant route I think and look into this when I get there

easiest route possible is the best for now

Katie

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Katie.

I dont know much about this route at all but I do agree with MB.

When you're across, or even before hand you may want to email a few hostels and ask some questions about how they set up and if they can give you any advice etc? May be worthwhile..??

Just a thought, as I say I dont know much about this field

Good luck with your Visa's and move [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]

thanks [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]