Thread: Do you need a NZ bank Account?

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Do you need a NZ bank Account?

Hi Guys,

I have a few small questions all about NZ bank accounts and thought it would be easier just to have one post with all the questions.

Do you need to have a bank account set up in NZ before you get out there?

Is it easier to get one set up in the UK than here and if so how do you go about setting one up, how long does it take to get one set up in UK compared to when you're in NZ?

Just a couple of small questions you do understand [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Amy,

There?s some info on banks and banking from previous posts here and here and here .

Bascially, you don't need to set up a bank account before you get to NZ, but you can do if you want to. Setting up a bank account, either from the UK or when in NZ is a relatively simple procedure. Some people set up an account in their home country and activate it when they get to NZ.

There's a list of bank websites on the Making the Move category in the Master Website List.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks MB, thats great, will have a wee look at the other posts. Wasnt sure if we had to get one set up prior to moving out.

At least we have the choice, my 'to do' list before we do leave is massive so not having an extra thing to worry about at this time is good news.

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

i actually went to my bank today and asked- hsbc. they sid can keep mine but charge ?2 for each withdrawl. Alternativly they can set up account in NZ for me with no charges and i activate when i get there. OR i can upgrade to Plus account and get free overseas transactins for ?10 a month. if i keep mine it can remain active for upto 2 yrs with no activity.

We had thought tho about setting up account with Westpac or ASb or some such. Can't remember what they said about doing it but it is a relatively simple process and you make a small deposit and then activate when u get there. This is good as have any cards, cheque books waiting in branch for u when u arrive rather than having to waiit for a few days.

i am sure other members will have more specific info.

Yeah I wasnt really sure what to do, I know we want to try and keep as much cash in ?'s as we can rather than putting them into dollars cos the ? is so strong, one thing we had thought about was just keeping our accounts in the UK open and transferring funds into our Egg Credit Card and just open an account in NZ for job purposes?

Its one thing I didnt really think about too much until now...