Thread: Family sponsorship or LTBV for my folks?

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Default Family sponsorship or LTBV for my folks?

Hi guys,

Just got off the phone to my parents and they are starting to look into coming out to NZ to join us soon cos they're fed up with everything in the uk, but the main problem is residency. So - I thoughtI'd jump in here and see what you guys thought!

Daz and I have only been residents for 1 year (been in NZ on work permits for nearly 2 now) so as far as I understand it from the immigration site, I can't sponsor them until I've been a resident for 3 years. (Bloody NZIS taking 9 months to process our app! Could have been 9 months closer to that by now!! ARRRGGGG! )

Another option they're thinking about is coming over and starting a business - my Dad has run a drainage and maintenance business with my Uncle for about 10 years now and he could start something similar over here (drainage layers are on the shortage list so it would be seen as helping bring skills into NZ I'd have thought...).

Otherwise its a case of getting a job as a project manager in the drainage/maintenance field and going through the skilled migrants category maybe (if this was accepted as a skilled job), but they'd only get about 110 points (cos neither have degrees - do city and guilds count towards the qually section does anyone know? Dad's done a city and guilds course in a drain laying/construction supervisory course since he's had the drainage business, but just wondered if anyone knew offhand without having to get it assessed...) - I see that the points are at 140 at the mo so this route wouldn't really be an option right now...

Any ideas or advice out there? Taffy - have you gone down the family sponsorship route with your folks or have I got that wrong? (Sorry - haven't been around here much lately )

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Hope all your residency plans are going well.

Jod

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Jodie,

I think I read somewhere that you could sponser family members if the 'centre of balance' was in NZ. Eg 3 Kids all living in NZ but both parents were in UK then it would be possible.

However if it was just you in NZ and parents and siblings in uk then the balance would be in the UK.

I would guess SMC is an easier option but only if NZAQ would be able to asses the C&G qualification (I got 65 points for a BTEC)

I have a few questions of my own :icon_wink:

Do you still live in the J'ville area? As we are looking to book a Motel (Glen Alton) when we arrive on 17/6/6 and would like to view as many rentals prior to our container arriving on 26/6/6.

We have got a school place for my son in Khandallah but I don't want to strech my budget by living there.

Any info will be very helpful and I have seen some nice places on trademe but I'm not sure what the deal is?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Jodie,

If I remember rightly Taffy got his PR last August-ish, so can?t sponsor us for another 2+ years :icon_frown: . Hubster is 56 now (55 is cut-off point) so not eligible to get in any other way, as we don?t have $2 mn. to spare under the Investor's Category (huh! I wish). He didn?t really want to take work in NZ anyway, as the salary would probably be a lot less than he?s getting here in the Middle East (no taxation for a start).

Hatter is right in what he says about the centre of gravity. I have one son in NZ and one in the UK, so that's OK. Depends whether you have more than one sibling in the UK as to whether you can sponsor your parents.

I'll now continue as if there isn't a problem with the centre of balance. I would assume that your dad wants to continue to work in NZ rather than retire there like us? If so, and he hasn?t got any posh degrees or a job offer to allow him to be rushed through on the PR bandwagon, has he thought of doing what so many others are doing on here i.e. just coming down on a visitor?s visa and looking for work down there. It?s the quickest way and he may well be lucky enough to pick up a job offer in a short time.

Once he has a job offer under his belt, he can apply for a Work Permit which allows him to stay legally in NZ whilst he progresses his PR application. WPs can often come through very quickly. We have a whole heap of members about to head down under these similar conditions within the next few months. Some are going on visitor?s visas and some with WHVs, but to the same end i.e. they?ll be looking for work when they arrive. Your mum would also enter NZ on a visitor?s visa and tag along on his shirt tails under the Partnership category once he gets a WP.

I don?t think your dad could start his own business until he has PR. With the points system, he could still submit and EOI with 100 or over, it?s just that priority is given to those with 140 or over.

If your parents had been coming down to retire, the best they could do for the time being would be to spend 6 months in NZ on visitors visas ( ?NZ summer time :icon_biggrin: ) and return to the UK for 6 months (in time for the UK summer time ? yippee another summer! :023: ) until you have PR and can sponsor them. If you have problems with the centre of gravity thing, this would also be the only alternative, but would be a long term solution if they can't claim PR.

Just a couple of ideas.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. There's only me and my brother so the centre of gravity isn't a problem, so one tick there. Good idea about coming over on a visitors visa and looking for work. I broached this idea with them a few days ago and they're keen but I don't think they quite understood that if they didn't find work and then go on to get work permit (which I could certainly help them with as I had to get 2 work permits for 2 different jobs before our residency finally got sorted!!), they would have to go back to the UK after 6 months and spread their time like you mentioned MB. Ideally they'd like to come over and run a b&b in Nelson, but I need to bring them round to the idea of getting out here however they can (like we did with our WHV's) so that would be Dad getting a job and then going through the SMC when the points are at the right level, or waiting for another 2 years until I can sponsor them It's all such a huge process eh!

So thanks for the ideas and reminders about how the processes work. (Don't know how much it's changed in the last 18 months since we were going through it all so it's like starting all over again!!) Fingers crossed Dad can come over and get a job and they can start the process of becoming NZ residents like all of the rest of us here :)

Hatter - I can give you a bit of advice about J'Ville no problem :)

We've bought a house here now in Paparangi which is a tiny suburb sandwiched between Johnsonville and Newlands. (Even a lot of the locals I work with don't know where it is!!) Sounds like you've got the right idea - khandallah is a really nice area but quite pricey because of that. We've always been happy here in Johnsonville - everything you need at your fingertips. I don't know how old your son is, but catching the train to school in Khandallah could be an option if you weren't keen on driving him every day. (You'll prob come back and say he's only 4 or 5 now - yep - off you go son - find you way to Khandallah on the train to school why don't you... :) hehehe). Anyway, it's only about a 5 minute drive to Khandallah so certainly no trouble.

As for rentals here in J'Ville, you can get a decent 2 or 3 bed house here for between $270 - $330 per week, depending on the size, section and location. The drive to the city from here is only 10 mins outside rush hour. Unfortunately it can take up to 45 mins between 7:15am - 8:45am, but the train runs pretty regularly and only takes 20 mins. But we drive in cos I work across the other side of town from the station so I'd have to then catch a bus across town and to be honest, I'm a grump in the morning anyway so I'll do anything for an easy life! :)

There are a couple of real estate agents in J'Ville - Harcourts, Professionals, Guardian First National, Leaders and LJ Hooker. I'm not sure if they all deal with rentals, but you might as well look into them and see. Although my advice by far would be to pick up the Dominion Post first thing on a Saturday morning (and I mean first thing because anything decent goes by about 11am!!) and set up some apponitments for rentals advertised. (Then you won't pay one week's rent in fees to the agent). You need to be prepared to say that you want one straight away if you find something nice, because like I said, anything decent goes straight away. Make sure you get somewhere up on the hill rather than down in the valley around Middleton Road. We used to rent a place just off Middleton Road and it was ok (only $230 per week for a 2 bed house so can't really complain!) but because we were down in the valley slightly, we only got sun from around 11am - 4pm or 5pm in the summer, and it was quite damp. OK you might be a bit exposed to the wind up in the main Johnsonville town or up on the hill (like we are), but at least you get the sun too. Also - make sure it's north facing cos you really don't want to be buffeted by the cold Southerly's that lash Welly in the winter.

Anyway, I've probably waffled on for long enough for now. :) If you need any more info just shout. When are you miving over? I don't know what the Glen Alton is like (we look at a rental in the same road actually when we first got here!), but it's only about a 10 minute walk from the centre where all the buses/train/shops/supermarket etc are so pretty handy. If you're going to be without wheels for a while, you might want to consider the Johnsonville Motor Lodge - again I've never been inside but it's right in the centre of J'Ville so dead handy for public transport.

Anyway, like I said, give me shout if you need any more info. I'll check back again here in a few days so you know I'm not gonna miss it! (I saw your email today - sorry I didn' reply! Must have turned off my notification thing!)

Speak to you all later (and sorry for the HUMONGOUS post!)

Cheers,
    Jod

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jodie,

It seems much like rying to get a job you need to be on shore before getting a rental. I've got a couple of agents who have mailed saying 'give us a call when you arrive'.

I'll remember the tip about renting in the shade!

3 days of work left.