Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday stop over...

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Holiday stop over...

Hubby and I are thinking of stopping off in Kuala Lumper for a week before we decend on NZ for 2 yrs.

Has anyone taken a holiday before going across, would you recommend it?

I'm just a bit worried about saying our goodbyes to our friends and family, going off to KL for a week then getting back on the plane again and landing in NZ and having to start our new life, find jobs, place to stay, car etc.

I just dont know if it would be less stressful to go straght to NZ and holiday there for a week or so before settling down somewhere for a bit.

I dont know if I'm just stressing about nothing but it would be good to hear if anyone else has gone through this and if it made their move less stressful or just added to it?

Any advice would be great...

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Hi Amy,

Not quite in the same vein but when we honeymooned in Oz and NZ we stopped in Fiji for 3 days in tiny resort or 12 beach huts just to chill after the madness of doing the whole wedding thing and it was great to get us ready for the hectic 4 weekds tour of NZ and OZ.

As to holidaying in KL over NZ not sure but I would certainly recommned few days somewhere dead quiet to chill, take stock and prepare for your assault on NZ.

HTH.

HFW. [smiley=icon_mrgreen.gif]

I think I could handle Figji for sure, would be great.

KL just doesnt appeal to me as a nice relaxing place but I could be wrong. And am willing to be proved wrong if anyone has been out before?

We stopped off for an overnight stay there and it was so humid and hot, we got out of the airport and my hair stuck to my face and I couldnt breathe, didnt feel too relaxed at all but I suppose that could just be the location there may be more relaxing places to stay in KL.

One good thing about KL is that is it so cheap so we could really go to town and splash out on things for a week and live like kings

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

We stopped for a few days in Los Angeles. Not that we wanted to take stock of events, break the journey or cut back on jet lag, but because it was an opportunity that we could not miss. We were kept busy during our stay but were still impatient to get on with our new lives in New Zealand.

I don't know KL, but if I was in your position and moving out here again, I would only spend, say, three days there and the rest of the week chilling out in NZ. You, however, may be less impatient!

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

We stopped off for an overnight stay there and it was so humid and hot, we got out of the airport and my hair stuck to my face and I couldnt breathe,
    Oh, just like Oman in summer then! Suffering with it at the moment.

I think parts of Asia are renowned to be very humid. We had a brief stopover in Bangkok in Jan. when we went down to NZ and there was humidity in the air even in winter, but not half as bad as it would have been in the summertime. If you get a good breeze it's not so bad, but if there's no wind at all it is suffocating, as the air you're breathing is laden with moisture. If you are set on staying in Malaysia, perhaps one of the coastal resorts would be better, rather than a stifling city. The buildings store up heat during the day and let it out again at night, so cities and summer don't mix too well.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the pieces of advice, I think I am probably the most impatient person in the world and that's probably why I'm hesistant about stopping off anywhere. I just want to get out to NZ now, almost 7 months of talking about it and telling people and we're still not really any further forward on going until our house sells. [smiley=icon_cry.gif]

We were also kinda of thinking about trying to get a bit of a 'summer' as the UK's Summer seems to consist of rain, rain, wind and more rain at the moment.

fisheress is offline Senior Member

That is the hardest bit, people begin to think it's a bit of a joke. They soon stop asking and then when you have the good news at last, excitement ensues! Hang on in there!

Fisheress

Hello,

We'll we're now that bit further forward thankfully, just got confirmation that we sold the house on Friday kinda waiting till Mon/Tues to make it official as the papers still need to be signed but we're planning on applying for the Visa tomorrow night and looking into booking flights this week ahhhh it all feels like its happening now.

Looking back, now that things are moving again it doesnt seem that bad the wait etc but when your just waiting and cant move forward with your plans it feels like a lifetime.

I must admit that finding this forum has been a godsend as everyone's good news and chat has helped me loads!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Great news about the house, Amy. House selling seems to be a bit nerve-wracking these days until the deal is clinched once and for all. There's been so many last minute dramas that make me glad I'm not selling up in the UK.

Hope it continues to go well for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Amy, thats fantastic u feeling like this? [smiley=026.gif]
    you'll be arrinving not too long after us at this rate!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast