Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a bargain...

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Shopping for a bargain...

I dont know if anyone else is the same but I love a good bargain....I know when we get out to NZ we wont be able to afford to shop as much as we do here,

so I thought I'd share some shops that we went too that were OK quality and very, very cheap....

Most of these sell clothes, shoes, general household goodies as well as music etc..

K-Mart, Spotlight, Glassons and Shanton, JayJays, No1 Shoe Warehouse (buy one pair get a second half price) and of course the very well known Warehouse itself...where everyone gets a bargain :icon_lol:

There's also loads of markets on most weekends which are great, lots of hand crafts, home baking and a great atmosphere.

If you're looking for any larger items or even cheap acomodation you can always try www.trademe.co.nz. This is our equivilant to eBay and you get EVERYTHING on here.

Anyone else knows any good stores please let me know, I know we dont have any firm dates when we're coming out but at least I can work my shopping trips out from the UK all ready for when I get out there LOL

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Thanks Lil Amy, it's good to know these things. I will miss the boot sales here but I'm sure they'll have the equivalent there..... The internet will be a great source too hopefully!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

[quote:85af9ab4d6="Debd"] I will miss the boot sales here but I'm sure they'll have the equivalent there[/quote:85af9ab4d6]

Garage sales seem to be the thing here. You have to advertise in the local paper, set out your stuff and wait for people to turn up. I have heard of some places (usually churches) having a 'flea market' but have not been to one.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

I been to one at christchurh and the atmosphere is GREAT!!

Pulsarblu

Ooh sounds good. Mind you, I probably won't have any 'disposable' income to keep this occasional hobby up anyway! :icon_cry:

Ady
    Ady is offline Member

Mmmm. The Warehouse! Yeah, very cheap but the nickname I've hear is about the 5 by 5 quality. 5 minutes or 5 yards. Being the time the stuff lasts for...

Appliance Shed in Aukland is pretty good for the electricals. Picked up a Phillips 32 inch LCD TV for $1700 the other week!

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Ady,

I couldn't for the life of me remener the electrical shops, there was the Appliance Shed and another one that was really cheap. I'm sure it was a guys name, you saw his shop everywhere?

They were quite reasonable and really helpful as our iPod broke when we were across there last year and they spent hours helping us out.

Going to do a bit marketing now, for all you shop-a-holics out there my friend in Opotiki makes her own jewellery and can custom make it to any design for you, here is her website, all my friend in Edinburgh buy heaps from her as its so reasonable and unique, have a squizz....

http://pallinadesigns.vstore.ca//

Can you tell I'm missing shopping, hopefully only have a few more months of non shopping then I can hit the stores in NZ!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Take a look at the Master Website List on Making the move. Scroll down to Shopping and there's a few websites on there which may be useful.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks Mother Bear

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

[color=green:8495b3bcd5]Not quite the same type of shopping, but certainly not going to be any bargains here.[/color:8495b3bcd5]

[color=green:8495b3bcd5][b:8495b3bcd5]Grocery hard line threatens food bills [/b:8495b3bcd5][/color:8495b3bcd5]
    Saturday June 3, 2006
    By Andrea Fox

The price of a weekly food shop will go up and jobs will be threatened because of hardball tactics by the new Australian owners of Woolworths and Foodtown supermarkets, say food and beverage companies. Suppliers say Woolworths Australia has threatened to ban their products or downgrade their position on shelves unless it gets discounts of 10 to 15 per cent. Suppliers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, say the usual terms are around 5 per cent.

Rather than risk losing 43 per cent of the grocery market, suppliers say they accepted the demand. But many warned their margins were so tight they would have to put up prices to cover Woolworths' demands. "They're treating New Zealand like a state of Australia," said one small food company.

Woolworths was demanding standard product prices from both New Zealand and Australian suppliers, whatever the brand. The company said it would have to put its prices up in response, and might have to shed jobs. But several big suppliers told the Weekend Herald that Woolworths' pressure tactics included not accepting price increases from suppliers.

The Food and Grocery Council said Woolworths was treating New Zealand and Australia as one market, wanting one net price and one set of trading terms common to each grocery category. Commercial director Lindsay Davidson confirmed supplier claims that while Foodstuffs and Progressive in the past had used rebates and discounts to lower consumer prices, Woolworths' practice was to put some into its pockets.

"There's nothing illegal in what they are doing, they are playing very hard ball," Mr Davidson said. "I've had a lot of phone calls with smaller companies under real grief. They just don't have the ability to find 10 margin points."

Woolworths came into New Zealand late last year with a $2.6 billion takeover of Progressive Enterprises, owner of Foodtown, Woolworths and Countdown supermarkets. It is still trading under the Progressive name. The takeover caused public concern because Woolworths, with annual revenues of about $32 billion, would dwarf its only rival in New Zealand, Foodstuffs, which has turnover of about $6 billion.

The Consumers' Institute welcomed Woolworths' aggressive pricing, but was concerned that brand choice could be reduced because of the company's hard line on suppliers. The takeover was approved by the Commerce Commission, creating Australasia's biggest food operator, with revenues of around $37 billion a year.

Foodstuffs Wellington managing director Tony McNeill said he would complain about Woolworths' tactics to the Commerce Commission, and to politicians. Progressive managing director Marty Hamnett would not discuss trading terms with suppliers. He said the claim that New Zealand was being treated like a state of Australia was "mischievous and absolute nonsense". The company recognised that New Zealand and Australia were different markets, which was why it had a Kiwi buying team.

Mr Hamnett said the great majority of suppliers had signed new trade agreements with Progressive. Some transtasman suppliers claimed Woolworths had threatened to make their Australian business more difficult if they did not accept the new trading terms. Mr Hamnett dismissed the claims as misinformed and inaccurate. "Negotiations are negotiations. As far as Woolworths is concerned we have been very fair and very scrupulous," he said.

On the claim that Woolworths' practice was to pocket some of the rebates and discounts, Mr Hamnett said the benefits of the scale of the new business would lead to "passing benefits of lower prices to our customers". Two big suppliers said Woolworths and Foodstuffs were almost equally tough on suppliers, but as a local co-operative Foodstuffs was more committed to New Zealand businesses.

But Mr Davidson said: "I can't see how consumers will win. If the smaller companies can't survive, that's an issue. It depends on how much stamina suppliers have."
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast