Thread: Buying Cars

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default Buying Cars

Well I have read the other threads on car buying and got lots of good links but my question is:

If we are going on a WHV do we need an address to buy a car and do we need to change our details every time we move on?

Cheers muchly.

:icon_lol:

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Buying Cars

Hi,

I never even thought about that one, we're wanting to buy a car as well and move around.

I would imagine you'd be OK as loads of people go travelling and dont have a permy address.

Perhaps there's an online system? Have you been onto the NZ DVLA site?
    http://www.nzembassy.com/info.cfm?c=...go&p=61604

I had a quick squizz but couldn't see anything about it, you might have more time at the mo to look through it all.

I do know that you can only drive in NZ for one year then you have to sit a theory test otherwise your licence becomes invalid. Apparantly it's pretty easy as my friend did it when he moved out with his Kiwi missus.

Let me know if you find anything out, when I get a bit more time I'll look through as well.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Buying Cars

You don't need a permanent address to buy a car, unless you are buying on a credit scheme of course. An address is needed though. We gave our address as 'care of' our motel.

I would think you should tell the garage of any new address if you have taken out some sort of warranty or service plan with the car.

You should be sent a Certificate of Registration from the Transport Registry Centre within a few days. If you are moving about frequently, it may be you can arrange with the motel to hold or send it on to you, or have a PO Box. You are supposed to tell them when you move, but I have just found out after 11 months that I have not done that yet :icon_redface: so I imagine you will be able to get away with it until such time you find a more permanent address.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Default Buying Cars

Many thanks! I will investigate further amid the squillions of other stuff I have now to do. :icon_mrgreen:

Default Buying Cars

This follows on from needing an address to buy a car...What about getting insurance? Do we need an address? Can we use the correspondence address we using back home, but then how'd we get certificate?

Just soo many questions.:icon_confused:

Cheers again folks...

johnty is offline Senior Member

Default Buying Cars

i have been told that its not a requirement to have insurance,although it is advised coss there are alot of young petrol heads flying around

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Buying Cars

As Johnty says, it's not obligatory to have insurance, but it might be appropriate to have it as one might well find out, after an incident, that the other person doesn't have insurance to cover any damage to your vehicle.

It's doubtful that a lot of young people would be covered. Insurance in NZ isn't that expensive, more so if you get your NZ driving licence, so could be a good investment. Take proof of no claims bonuses to get a discount.

[quote:4cfcb957ac="Welshgirl"]
    If you have an accident and you have no insurance:

a) If the other person involved is insured and it was their fault, you can claim off their insurance, regardless of whether or not you are insured.
    b) If the other person is not insured and it was their fault, you can only claim injury compensation from ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation) but any damage to your vehicle could only be recovered through court proceedings against the other party. *
    c) If the accident was your fault and you have no insurance, you are personally liable for any damage incurred. The other party would be able to take you to court to sue you. If you are not able to pay, then they could enforce an attachment of earnings, etc.

* N.B. If you do have insurance, and you have an accident in which the other party is at fault and is uninsured, you can claim off your insurance (if you have fully comprehensive insurance). Your insurance company may then sue the other party to recover their costs but at least you won't be out of pocket, although you may or may not lose your no-claims bonus, depending on the insurance company you are with!

And the moral of the story is - buy insurance! It's not worth the risk without it, and of course, you are covered in the unfortunate event your car gets stolen - flippin heck, I sound like an insurance broker now [/quote:4cfcb957ac]

Sorry, can't help re address. Perhaps one of our NZ driving members can answer that.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Buying Cars

[quote:e5112d98a9="Mother Bear"]
    Sorry, can't help re address. Perhaps one of our NZ driving members can answer that.[/quote:e5112d98a9]

We just gave our motel address, and informed them when we moved into our rental.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Buying Cars

[color=darkred:1ae4855bd0][b:1ae4855bd0]Larger cars come off better in safety survey [/b:1ae4855bd0][/color:1ae4855bd0]
    1.00pm Tuesday June 27, 2006

The 2006 used car safety ratings released today show larger cars are safer than smaller ones. Of the 22 large cars rated, 14 scored above average and only two below average. Luxury cars also displayed a similar standard of safety. In contrast, light cars were found to have a poor standard of protecting drivers and passengers in a crash.

Over 300 common makes and models of cars, dating from 1982 to 2004, have been rated by the AA and Land Transport New Zealand, based on the latest safety data. The ratings have been based on driver protection and harm to other road users, and show the differences in crash performance between vehicles of a similar size and value.

Newer models provided better driver protection, due to technology advances like airbags and crumple zones.

All but one of the large 4WDs were found to put other road users at a higher risk.

Vehicles that scored better than average in both driver protection, and harm to other road users include:
    1998-2001 Toyota Corolla
    1998-2004 Holden Astra TS
    1997-2001 Honda CR-V
    1991-1993 Honda Accord
    1993-1997 Nissan Bluebird
    1995-2000 Mercedes C Class
    1992-1997 Ford Telstar/Mazda 626

Vehicles that scored worse than average on both counts included:
    1985-1998 Daihatsu Rocky/Rugger
    1982-1985 Holden WB Series ute
    1982-1989 Toyota Hiace/Liteace
    1983-1987 Mitsubishi Cordia
    1983-1986 Mitsubishi Starwagon
    1982-1990 Toyota Supra

Copies of the 2006 Used Car Safety Ratings booklet are available free at AA Centres nationwide and full results are available from the AA or LTNZ.

- NZPA
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.