Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're going too....EEK!

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default We're going too....EEK!

Well the good news is we've decided to get a WHV and go in about 2 months. The bad news is this has led to a million on 1 questions we need answering and loose ends needing tying up. :icon_confused:

This is the plan: 3-4 weeks 'hols' touring round and getting a feel for diff areas and selecting 3-4 places to spend 6-8 weeks each over the next few months. Then choose one of those to see if we can get 'real' jobs and settle enough to apply for PR.

So, is this realistic? What have others on WHV done? How easy is it to get short term work to fund trip (as on tight budget)? esp as now heading to Winter time over there. (bear in mind there are two of us)

These are just a few of the questions we have so ANY help would be fab.

Kinda excitied now but also nervous as hell.

Cheers, Helen and Mike :icon_biggrin:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You, too, Helen! Congrats on making the big decision. Another one joining our band of derring-do members. What an intrepid lot you all are. Just goes to show, the spirit of adventure is still alive and thriving on this forum.

I doubt I could add much in the way of advice, but would just suggest that maybe you explore the ?proper? job situation in each area as you pass through, as the place you might want to settle in the end may not necessarily be the place that can offer you a job. At least, if you know where the likeliest place for getting jobs is going to be, you?ll have somewhere to head for if all else fails.

Had it been summer/autumn time you would probably have been able to get plenty of temporary work fruit picking in the orchards or helping out in the tourist industry, but not sure what?s available during winter time.

The best of luck to you and don?t forget to keep us ?stay-at-homes? abreast of your progress. It'll be a great experience, I'm sure.

[img:2077510dec]http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/6.gif[/img:2077510dec][img:2077510dec]http://us4all.50webs.com/smilies/duimen/us4allduimop.gif[/img:2077510dec]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

CrystalLil is offline Junior Member

Hi Helen

Not sure what kind of work you'll be looking for - so I don't know how helpful this will be, but I joined a temping agency (Kinetic, I believe they were called) when I was in NZ on my WHV. I remember they were quite quick at finding me work - admin stuff, basic wage (15 dollars an hour), as long as you're willing to do whatever they give you to start with - show you're keen, they seem to be good at finding you regular work.

Also, when I was there, I spent 3 weeks travelling round the south island and there were loads of backpackers working their way round the ski/snowboard-fields by earning their keep working in hostels. Winter is big business, tourism wise, in the south island especially. There are loads of hostels near the main hot spots, all of which are totally lovely. Not sure I'd want to settle in the South Island myself - a bit TOO remote - but it could be a great way of travelling round and seeing the sights (and I can't stress enough how awesome those sights are).

Neither of these options might float your boats as far as permanent work is concerned, but they might be good to earn a bit of cash while you find something more suitable.

Good luck!

Lil.

Blog Entries

[quote:8835c729f6="Crystal Lil"] Winter is big business, tourism wise, in the south island especially. [/quote:8835c729f6]

Doh! Forgot about the SI and the winter season [img:8835c729f6]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_13_18.gif[/img:8835c729f6]. As Lil says, tourism is big business in Winter time. I'm just locked into warm weather mode and have blocked out thoughts of the cold.
    Mother Bear

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Good on you! :icon_biggrin:

I would repeat MB's advice about looking at job opportunities as you go along. I would also say that as you are on a budget, if a job is available which you think will be OK then go for it. You will probably find there are many places in NZ you would be happy living, some with outstanding scenery and atmosphere. However, being a new immigrant, getting that job is more important ... you can always holiday in the scenic towns, or move there (say) a couple of years later.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi there!

My hubby and I are also going to do the same and go across on a WHV (hopefully in the next few months).

We've already started contacting agencies in NZ who have been really helpful and have copies of our CV's etc and have told us to get in touch a week or so before we come out or before we want to start working and they'll help us out with temp/contract work. There seems to be a lot of Admin work out there at the moment, not sure if this is what you'd want to do or not?

A few sites that I've been on are:

http://www.seek.co.nz
    Adecco
    Manpower
    Protocol
    and I'm also sure Reed who we have in the UK do NZ jobs as well, always worth a try!

Hope this helps and good luck with your move!

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the helpful replies. Crystal Lil we will ultimately be looking for work in Tourism (me) and retail (hubby) as we have respective degrees and experience in such areas. While we are touring round don't really mind what we do as long as we don't have to eat into the saving too much as this will be the house fund when decisions are finally made. Links are fab tho so thanks for that Lil Amy.

Next question I guess is where have people stayed whilst doing this. Obviously we will have nothing so are thinking along the route of self catering hallets but don't know how affordable this will be? Hoping that might get cheap deal if long term stays (4-6 weeks) and in Winter. What do peeps think? i know hostels will be cheaper but would like own space where poss and i do like to cook for myself.

Ramble over for now.

Again any help appreciated and will return the favour when we can offer our own experiences.

Helen. :006:

Blog Entries

This is a self-catering site. On the left it shows all the different types of accommodation on offer, but you have to select which country you need. Have you thought about a caravan park or holiday home where there?s caravans for rent? I don?t know how much it would cost to hire a campervan for that length of time or even part of the time, as it could double as home and transport. This might be handy if you wanted to trundle around the country, but could get a bit claustrophobic after a while. There?s a selection of rental places shown on the Master Website List in the Making the Move category of the forum if you want prices.

Not all hostels are dormitory types. There are quite a few that have self-contained rooms with facilities that are more suitable for married couples, even if you still have to use a communal kitchen. More here and here and here . Have a read through and see if there?s anything that will suit you as most of them offer different things.

There?s also Wotif.com .
    Mother Bear

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hello,

Stu and I travelled around last year for a few weeks and we stayed in various types of accomodation, we found if you got in early to hostels you could get a self contained room, bathroom etc all included with a small kitchenette or a shared kitchen. Quite good for getting to know people when there is part of it shared.

We also stayed in a few beach chalets when we were on the coast line, these cost about ?12 per night for the two of us, they were quite small but had lots of character, you had your own loo, shower, kitchenette again, bed and dining table and lovely patio with a fab view.

If you try and make sure you arrive early in the day if you dont want to preplan your travels and head straight to the Tourist Board they have a whole listing of Chalets, B&B's etc and can help you out and give you good recommendations without sending you to the expensive places. Also means you can visit them before booking up.

Overall we found all the accommodation to be extrememly cheap last year, we toured with a tent for the 3 weeks and never used it once as for an extra ?2 you could get a room with your own shower etc in the caravan parks!!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Just remember at some of these cheap places linen, towels and other items usually found in motels are often not provided and you may have to bring your own.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast