Thread: Will there be even more leaving for Oz?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Will there be even more leaving for Oz?

Australian tax cuts spell trouble for NZ, say Nats
    1.00pm Wednesday May 10, 2006

The Australian Government's tax-cutting budget means more bad news for New Zealand, National Party leader Don Brash said today. Across-the-board tax cuts are the centrepiece of last night's Australian budget and Dr Brash described the tax cuts as 'the latest twist' in Australia's raid on New Zealand's best and brightest.

'The significance should not be overlooked...for New Zealand this means more competition for the skills that we need to keep our economy growing,' he said. 'The Labour Government doesn't have the first clue about putting the right incentives into the economy to allow people to get ahead under their own steam.'

Dr Brash said if National had won last September's election, April 1 this year would have marked the first tranche of the extensive tax cuts package it was offering. 'It was an opportunity missed...and instead we have seen the Australian Government yet again cut taxes,' he said. 'Substantial tax cuts are most definitely on the agenda for the next National government.' Dr Brash said that by then New Zealand would have lost 'thousands more of our best and brightest people across the Tasman'.

ACT leader Rodney Hide said the tax gap between the two countries was widening. 'For every dollar Australians earn, politicians take 31 cents. The cost of central and local government to Kiwis is more than 38 cents in the dollar,' he said. 'Kiwi workers are now further behind their Kangaroo cousins.' Mr Hide said the Australian Government recognised it was simple and fair to let workers keep more of their earnings.

'(Prime Minister) Helen Clark taxes hard, washes it through government departments and then makes people apply to get some back,' he said. 'If ACT was writing this year's budget, it would include moves towards a flat tax and a Taxpayer Bill of Rights.'

- NZPA
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Aussies launch jobs raid on NZ
    27 May 2006
    By KERI WELHAM

Australia's raid on New Zealand talent is set to continue as a massive public service expansion has created 7000 highly paid new jobs. Of those new positions, about 3000 will be in the Australian capital Canberra where statistics reveal average pay rates are more than 50 per cent higher than in Wellington.

Canberra-based Recruitment Management Company said Wellington was a 'fairly obvious' market when hunting staff with the appropriate skills to work in the Australian public sector. Acting managing director Catherine Andrews said the company was banking on the recent Australian tax cuts creating a 'possibly attractive income differential' for New Zealand public servants.

Canberra-based Australasian IT recruitment company Icon Recruitment said it would look to Wellington to fill public sector positions in Canberra, after exhausting the Australian market. 'One hundred per cent we would,' regional director Balder Bedi said. 'Most definitely. New Zealand is always high on the list.' A recruitment source in Wellington said people working in policy in this city were constantly being headhunted for much higher paying jobs in Canberra. 'Everyone has their price. We just can't compete.'

Of the 450,000 New Zealanders living in Australia, 4000 are in Canberra. The average annual income in Canberra is $A62,088, while in Wellington it is $NZ40,400. Canberra's job market is suffering a long-term shortage and is desperate for staff. Public sector agencies have begun trawling Canberra universities to try and recruit under-graduates for part-time work.The city already has the lowest unemployment rate in Australia, at 3.4 per cent, and observers say the 3000 jobs being created in the 2006-07 financial year will further stretch the labour market.

New Zealand's National Party warned of a raid on this country's 'best and brightest' when Australian treasurer Peter Costello revealed tax cuts of $A37 billion ($NZ45 billion) in his May 9 Budget. New Zealand's 2006-07 Budget, delivered by Treasurer Michael Cullen on May 18, showed a record operating surplus but no tax cuts.

Cabinet minister Steve Maharey encouraged Kiwis to explore the opportunities offered overseas but said, in the end, many people brought their new-found skills home. 'For the usual, natural reasons, people want to explore. New Zealanders and Australians do go back and forth (between the countries). It's a good way to build your career. There is no evidence of an exodus other than what you'd expect.' However, Statistics New Zealand figures show Kiwis continue to surge across the Tasman in greater numbers than they come home. In the year to April 2006, the net permanent outflow to Australia was 20,040, up from 18,200 the previous year. This was, however, down on the net figure to January 2006, which was 21,400.

Mr Maharey accepted Australian wages were higher but said other expenses, such as childcare costs, were sometimes up to three times the rate of New Zealand. And the Wellington environment, with a small government sector able to move at a faster pace than larger bureaucracies, offered a stimulating work environment for public servants. 'I think Wellington is one of the greatest cities in the world. It's staggeringly beautiful and interesting,' Mr Maharey said. 'If you live in Wellington, how could you not feel good about yourself?'

Canberra has more household waste, half as many organ donors, and a higher level of terrorism threat. However, it is renowned for quality education in the public schooling system, with Canberra secondary schools having a ratio of just 12 students to every teacher. In Wellington, the average teacher has 25 students.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

NZ population now 4.1 million
    1.00pm Monday May 29, 2006

Despite the lure of lower taxes across the Tasman, and falling birth rates, New Zealand's population growth rate has more than doubled since the last census.

The number of people counted in New Zealand on census night, March 7, was 4,116,900, Statistics New Zealand said today.

Government statistician Brian Pink said the Census 2006 provisional count indicated an increase of 296,150 (7.8 per cent) since the 2001 Census, and compared with an increase of 139,203 (3.8 per cent) between the 1996 and 2001 censuses.

While all regions showed increases, the Auckland region recorded the highest growth: an increase of 145,060 (12.4 per cent) to 1,318,700.

Queenstown-Lakes District recorded the most massive growth for a territorial authority, with a 29.2 per cent increase since the 2001 Census.

For the first time, the number of people in the South Island on census night exceeded one million, with a provisional count of 1,013,800 - an increase of 64,530 (6.8 per cent).

However, once visitors were excluded from the count, the usual resident population was likely to be less than one million.

In late November, Statistics New Zealand will release the full range of data from the 2006 Census, which will include the usually resident population counts, in which the people who were in New Zealand but away from home on census night are allocated back to the area they usually live.

- NZPA
    Mother Bear

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Must admit that on our NZ/Australia reccy, we found Australia a lot nicer than we expected. The streets, shopping areas, houses seemed so much better. The atmosphere was of a country going places.

We seriously looked into immigrating there but found it would take up to a year to get a decision and the agents we spoke were not too sure we would get in as husband wanted to live in NSW - an area which did not give extra points to our application.

In comparision, NZ seemed shabbier. However, it does not have the snakes and insects Australia has, nor the strong summer heat. We were also told that the tax situation in Australia is complicated, and our tax situation is complicated enough.

I'm off to Brisbane for a week at the end of June, so I'll have another chance to compare the two countries. ::)

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Interesting comparison, Glenda. We've never been to Oz, so we haven't seriously considered it. But an online friend of my OH's drops big hints that geologists are in demand there. So if NZIS says 'no' to us, perhaps we'll take a holiday to Oz.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

tottefan is offline Senior Member

I found it interesting to read your views Glenda. I'm still not sure whether NZ or Auz would be better as a place to live. If you were young without any responsibilities which country would you go for out of the two?

Tottefan.

Blog Entries

Not just Oz that's claiming the kiwis' attention.

Kiwi expats make most of high life in booming, tax-free Dubai
    Wednesday May 31, 2006

You could say Aucklander Greg Sang is at the top of his profession, literally. The Dubai-based engineer is overseeing the building of the world's tallest tower - the Burj Dubai. The final height of the US$900 million ($1.4 billion) building is top secret until completion by 2008, but it's expected to soar beyond 100 storeys and may top 800m. The surrounding 202ha community will include the world's biggest shopping mall, with 16,000 carparks.

Mr Sang's rise to the top began back home in Auckland, where he was schooled and earned an Auckland University engineering degree. He left for Hong Kong in 1990, then later made the move to Dubai for the Burj Dubai project. Like many New Zealand expats in Dubai, the 40-year-old has no immediate plans to return home.

With so much growth in the city and the lure of working in a tax-free environment, it's easy to see why. While construction is booming in Dubai - rumour has it up to one third of the world's cranes are in the region - it's just one of a number of industries attracting New Zealand businesses and workers.

New Zealand Trade Commissioner Sam Lewis says New Zealanders are found in a variety of sectors in Dubai. 'What is important to get across is the diversity of the engagement of New Zealanders here' he says. 'And not necessarily working for New Zealand companies, but the fact that they are embedded into the local business infrastructure is a real boon for New Zealand insofar as we can tap into these people.'

Expats say they enjoy not paying tax and the city's proximity to Europe, but they miss the New Zealand lifestyle. Auckland sisters Corinne and Jacqueline Bowker never intended to stay as long as they have - 10 and 15 years. They are managing partners of the Lime Tree Cafe, a genuine New Zealand-style cafe - a rare find in the Middle East. The cafe has a strong expat following, with Westerners making up 90 per cent of their customers, but is also making inroads with local people.

Jacqueline gets much of her inspiration for the menu from return trips to New Zealand, which has 'astounding creativity' in food. She also works full-time as an interior designer and Corinne recently finished work in the tourism industry to focus solely on the cafe. When Jacqueline arrived 15 years ago for a graduate interior design job she had no idea what to expect.

'I thought it was awful and I thought I'm going to make myself stay for two years and that's it,' she says. 'Every month I ticked it off on the calendar as another month, and then after about six months I forgot about it. If you're lucky enough to do a job that you absolutely love, which is the case with me, I don't really notice so much the things about the society that I might not identify with. '

Corinne says they work so hard the time flies by. 'There is a lot of opportunity and when your business is growing you don't really think about packing up and going home.' Despite this, both women miss New Zealand. Corinne misses sport, the bush and weekends in the Coromandel.

The intense summer heat - with temperatures soaring up towards 50C - changes the way you live. 'Towards the end of May that's the end really, we don't go outside now until September because it's too hot. So you're pretty much indoors in air conditioning all the time,' she says.

The market is quite nationality driven, so they feel a responsibility to maintain New Zealand's good reputation. But hard work is essential and it's a myth that Dubai can be used as a get-rich-quick scheme. 'If you come in and think 'I'm going to make a fast buck and go home' it won't work,' Jacqueline says.

- NZPA
    Mother Bear

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I found it interesting to read your views Glenda. I'm still not sure whether NZ or Auz would be better as a place to live. If you were young without any responsibilities which country would you go for out of the two? Tottefan.
    Difficult question to answer. I love NZ. Because of the years I spent here growing up, it is as much home as the UK.

However, I did not imagine Australia to be as stunning as we found it a couple of years ago, nor somewhere we knew we could comfortably settle. Before our visit, I had the somewhat prejudiced idea that Australia was just a place of dusty roads, surfers, kangaroos and dangerous wildlife. The country is enormous - nearly as big as Europe and there is a lot to see and do.

They say Australia is a premier destination for immigrants. New Zealand is beautiful and a great place to live, but I'll understand if one or two of my kids move across 'the ditch' in their early twenties for a more exciting life. (Better that than back to the UK ... or even Dubai!)

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb