Thread: Job offer in the double glazing industry

kcamp is offline Junior Member

Default Job offer in the double glazing industry

Hi all,
    Fingers crossed I may have secured a job within the Double Glazing industry in the north island.
    What I want to know is whats the best way to enter NZ(permits/visas etc etc). We have submitted a EOI online and awaiting a reply.

Regards
    Kevin

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi,

Congratulations on (maybe) securing your job, you must be thrilled! Hopefully by now you know one way or another what is happening with it.

I think, from what I've read you can still enter NZ on a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) whilst your EOI is going through as I've heard this can take a few months, although it probably all depends on how long you want to wait before going across.

We were thinking about going through the EOI process last year but decided against it until we knew we wanted to stay out there for good so instead we're going to go for a WHV, only problem is that you can only work for 12 months out of your visa period and you cant take up permy employment but perhaps if you wanted to get out quicker you could go this route and get your employers to give you a temp contract for that time until your EOI/ITA etc came through?

Good luck with things!

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Double glazing? Is that a type of donut that Homer Simpson likes? ;)

And what's insulation, central heating, and air conditioning?

I'm just joking with ya. You may have to inform Kiwis though, as none of these are standard in the homes here (well, insulation is mandatory in homes built after the mid 90's.....which accounts for well under 10% of homes).

Congrats on getting the job! NZ is a great place. You should enjoy it.....and even more so once you get those double glazed donuts in your home!!!

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Oh, as far as employment.....

A Working Holiday Visa is good for a year, but you can only work for one employee for 3 months straight.

So effectively you have 3 months to get your residency approved. Each of the 2 major steps (EOI to application.....application to approval) took about 2 months for me. And I had 2 months in the middle of trying to get medical/police fingerprints, etc.

If you haven't sent for those yet, do it NOW!

And the police may take a while. If you offer them this, they may speed your processing up:

Double Glazed Donut