Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHV anyone?

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Default WHV anyone?

Hi there,

I have just been made redundant so this would be the ideal time to up sticks and fly off to a new life but we have some questions we need answered before we can decide.

If we go on a WHV or even on a visitors visa and then get a job and then apply for PR. What route would our application take? Would we still go via SMC and if that is the case do we have to ensure that the job we get matches our 'skills' or can we get any job and still apply for PR. :119:

We're very confused as we have not considered this option until now but as we don't have enough points without a job this may be the way forward. Therefore any help would be gratefully recieved.

Ta very much, Helen.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default WHV anyone?

Hi Helen,

I hope this is right (I seem to have been pumping out information to the extent where it all gets jumbled up inside my head)??

You can up and go to NZ on a visitor?s visa, get a job offer, apply for a Work Permit, when you start work you can then start the process of applying for PR on the strength of having that job.

You can apply for a WHV (up to the age of 30), then look for work when you get to NZ. I think, then, when you have a job offer you can follow the same route as above. Stevey will know as he?s going that route.

I don?t think the SMC needs to come into it. If you can find a job, any job that?s suitable, you can apply for a Work Permit and take it from there. These 2 routes are how those who can?t get into NZ any other way find their way in.

The members who are going either of these ways will no doubt refine my post or bin it altogther. :icon_mrgreen:
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default WHV anyone?

MB is right. However you would still be applying under the SMC. I have to have a job offer to score enough points to apply under the SMC. If I don't get selected straight away I'll have to apply for a work visa so I can stay beyond the 9 months Claire is entitled to stay in NZ for as she would be on a VV with the kids.

On a slightly seperate note. On the WHV scheme you can apply for a 12 month visa or 24 months, however you can only ever work for 12 months of those 24 months. Also on the 24 month visa you need to get x-rays. 12 month one you don't.

I applied online and it was sorted very quickly, I just have to print off the piece of paper when I go. Hope this helps

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default WHV anyone?

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, idealy your job does need to match your skills/experience in order to be acceptable for a PR application. I doubt you would be successful if decided to start a whole new career! The same would apply for a work permit, if you don't have any experience then your employer would not be able to take you on over a New Zealander.

So, in short, you really need to find something in your field, at least until you've held PR for 3 months. Then you can go sell icecreams in the park if thats what floats your boat!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Default WHV anyone?

Many thanks for all the info.

So as I understand it I would have to get a tourism job (coz got a degree in it) and/or Michael would have to get a retail job (same reason) we couldn't just go for any job we could do like general admin/managerial. But easier to get said relevant jobs when over there.

And we can apply via either SMC or Work visa, is this right.

Said I was confused.

Thanks again. :006:

Blog Entries

Default WHV anyone?

[quote:100f869b54="Taffy"]Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, idealy your job does need to match your skills/experience in order to be acceptable for a PR application. [/quote:100f869b54]

Can I just clarify a point as well, please? If someone wanted to immigrate to NZ and didn't have any qualifications or particular skills, are they excluded from also trying to get a job and progress on to PR? For example, someone who worked in a shop or an office who goes to NZ on a VV or WHV. I was thinking that, as long as you could get a job, whatever it was, you could apply for a WP and progress on from there, but seems like it's not that simple. I'm getting just as confused as everyone else.
    Mother Bear

Default WHV anyone?

I think this was the point i was trying to get to. Is this an alternative to SMC if your not skilled as it were? And how do you progress form a WP? Is the only option the Work to Residency category and doesn't this take longer?

Cheers. :icon_rolleyes:

Blog Entries

Default WHV anyone?

I'm still trying to piece this one together as no one else has chipped in yet. For you to get a work permit the company that employs you has to show that the position has been advertised and people have been interviewed and that you are the best candidate for the role. They also have to prove that no NZer could be found to fill the position. If they are an accredited employer with NZIS then they don't have to go through all of this. So it looks like you'd need to look for work with an accredited employer to begin with.

I was also reading this for Temporary Work Visas, but it doesn't mention about progressing on to PR.
    Mother Bear

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default WHV anyone?

Hmmm, think Taffy has just read between the lines (correctly) when talking about skills. If you apply for a manager position in say a newsagents, even tho you have no managerial qualifications. Short of no-one with a managers qualification applying for the job, how could the owner of the shop justify to NZIS that you were the best person for the job. Personalities won't come into at this stage unfortunately.

That's why the advice is, stick to your field. That being said I dare say if an employer wnats you badly enough he could invent something that makes you a unique applicant and the only one for the job. In a generic job like the aformentuioned tho, I can't see it happening.

On a slightly related point. I asked ages ago (over a year) about 'accredited employers' surely there's a list of such employers somewhere, I asked NZIS at the time and they didn't even address the question. Would be great if I could just pinpoint such employers in my job hunt.

stndrd is offline Member

Default WHV anyone?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...st.htm?level=1

I remember seeing a list before - luckily I saved it as a favorite!

-Brian & April

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast