Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tsunami to hit New Zealand?

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Tsunami to hit New Zealand?

According to the BBC, there is a possibility that a Tsunami might hit the New Zealand coastline. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4970308.stm

Tottefan.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Much as I would have liked to buy a property near the sea, it's at times like this I'm glad our place is well inland.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

I think the East coast is o.k, it's probably the West coast that is probably more prone (i.e. near Aus, Pacific islands)?

Tottefan.

Blog Entries

They talk about Gisborne in here . Like you, Tottefan, I'd have thought it would have come from the other direction.
    Mother Bear

ExPat is offline Member

Well that's a relief. Glad it happened now and not while we're visiting there! Only three more week before we head out for our first visit!

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

*yawn* jeez the first paragraph said fears have receded. What's the problem, you people panic too easily. Some people seem to almost wish bad things on themselves by fretting too much and always assuming the worst. I don't mean you guys particularly but the global warming thing in another thread summed it all up.

Similarly the hammer 'bashing' thing. No, NZ isn't a land full of crazed psychopaths bludgeoning people to death left right and centre. The two blokes survived without 'serious' injury. You just don't hear those stories in the UK, there's no way the two can be compared. Noones naive enough to assume that murder doesn't happen in NZ but it's not that severe an issue. Yes we should be worried when reading things like that but freaking out and assuming noones safe anywhere anymore, is a tad ott imho (in my 'humble' opinion).

Rant over, just trying to shed a more positive light on things. Sometimes I log on here and spend ages reading all the posts, most of which are just negative shit, and log off feeling downright depressed!!! If I want that, I'll log on to BBC news and read the hideous truth (most from the UK) causing misery throughout the world myself. Then congratulate myself on inducing complete and utter melancholy 'all by myself'. :icon_rolleyes:

OK Rant really over now, I love eveyone :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_cool: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Exactly. It's not as though murder is new - there were still loads of murders in the UK in the past. I should know cos I used to collect magazines of old serial killers and crimes. :icon_rolleyes:

I think nowadays we blow everything totally out of proportion and this includes other issues such as Global warming, natural diasters, terrorism etc. It's not as though any of these are exactly new!

Most of it is the media's fault.

Tottefan.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Although I agree with Stevey that there's a lot of alarmist reporting in the media, with some of it posted here, the potential for a major tsunami to hit the coast is something to be aware of, and to consider when looking for a place to live. It goes along with other fun dangers and annoyances like volcanoes, earthquakes, cyclones, speedways, lousy plumbing, etc. Cliffs erode, rivers flood, jet planes make noise. NZ is a rather exciting country when it comes to natural phenomena, especially compared to the UK (so far as i know). Just be smart and do your homework, so you'll be less likely to be one of those who say "but no one ever told me...".
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Blog Entries

Seeing as it?s me that?s responsible for a great deal of the news reports on here, I feel I ought to clarify that I post them mainly as ?fillers? in the hope that they draw comment and make us think and question. In this way I aim to bulk out the postings on the forum to give readers something to ?well?.read :icon_mrgreen: , especially on quiet days. As I?m not a NZ news reporter, I can?t tailor the items to read full of good cheer and fun ? I have to take what?s offered.

I don?t think anyone?s panicking about the various topics thrown up, that?s an overstatement (you?d make a good reporter, Stevey :icon_wink: ). We?re merely chewing them over. We?re all aware that the media has a tendency to hype things up, but still, there?s often no smoke without fire. It?s just interesting to see what the NZ press offers up as bait to lure its readers and, no doubt, the basic facts are true, so we shouldn?t totally ignore them.

We?ve banged on enough about not seeing NZ through rose-coloured specs, so bringing ourselves down to earth with cautionary tales from the press is one way of being made aware that all isn?t sweetness and light down there, like any other country. It?s better to have some insight into what?s going on, so we can avoid the syndrome of, as Selchie says, ?..but no one ever told me?. You?ll all be there at some point, hopefully, and you can see for yourselves how things are, but at least you shouldn?t have too many shocks.
    Mother Bear

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

[b:2978a4ffa1]Huge Pacific earthquake briefly sparks tsunami panic [/b:2978a4ffa1]

WELLINGTON : A massive earthquake with a magnitude of 7.8 has rocked the island nation of Tonga, triggering panic evacuations in New Zealand after tsunami warnings were briefly issued for the South Pacific.

Although the tsunami warnings were withdrawn within two hours, hundreds of people in the New Zealand coastal town of Gisborne, located more than 2,200 kilometres (1,375 miles) from the quake's epicentre, fled their homes.

"Most of the coastal communities in Gisborne evacuated," regional civil defence controller Richard Steele told national radio.

"Things got a bit out of control."

The US Geological Survey (USGS) said a "great" quake, initially measured at magnitude 8.0, struck at 4:26 am (1526 GMT) in the middle of the islands that make up Tonga.

The epicentre was recorded 160 kilometres (100 miles) northeast of Tonga's main island of Nuku'Alofa and 16 kilometres below the Earth's surface, a relatively shallow distance which increases the likelihood of a tsunami.

It was the largest earthquake recorded by the USGS since a 8.6 temblor off the Indonesian island of Sumatra in March 2005, and immediately sparked fears of a repeat of the Asian tsunami which killed 220,000 people in December 2004.

But despite the ferocity of the quake, and aftershocks of magnitude 5.4 and 5.1, there were few reports of injury or damage in Tonga.

One hotel guest, identified as South Korean national Song Sang Hoon, hurt his leg when he jumped from a third-floor window.

"He was the only tourist injured. He jumped from his room, maybe he was afraid," said William Vea, the night receptionist at the Pacific Royale Hotel.

Radio Australia journalist Bruce Hill said from Nuku'Alofa that locals told him they had never experienced an earthquake of such intensity.

"Honestly, it was like being on a ship at sea in a heavy storm. The whole building was rocking back and forth and I was really quite scared and a lot of people don't mind admitting they're really quite afraid," he said.

Once they assessed the damage was minimal, primarily broken glass and stock tipped from shop shelves, Tongans went back to bed while in Gisborne, on New Zealand's east coast, residents packed what they could in the middle of the night and headed for higher ground.

Russell Beazley, a worker at a 24-hour petrol station, said it was inundated with people loading up before heading out of town.

"It was pretty scary stuff looking at all the locals come in, and they were all frightened and grabbing all the supplies they could get," he said.

One woman, Kelly Cullen, said she and her husband drove their children towards the nearest hill but, hearing it was too crowded, they kept driving.

"I'm actually due to have a baby, so we thought we better be organised," she said.

New Zealand's Geological and Nuclear Sciences department said the earthquake was felt in much of the North Island of New Zealand.

The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre initially called on New Zealand and Fiji to take immediate action against a possible giant wave, but New Zealand civil defence officials said it was evident within 30 minutes there would be no significant tsunami.

In Fiji, police advised residents of villages in low-lying areas to move to higher ground, while tourists in resorts were told to stay on higher floors where possible.

Fiji police spokeswoman Sylvia Low said a police alert had been relaxed but still advised caution in coastal areas.

Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre oceanographer Nathan Becker said swells of only half-a-metre (two feet) were to be expected.

On December 26, 2004, an earthquake measuring 9.0 on the Richter scale struck off the Indonesian province of Aceh, unleashing a tsunami that killed 220,000 people around the Indian Ocean, most of them in Aceh.

- AFP /ct

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast