Thread: sugar honey ice tea

wendie is offline Junior Member

Default sugar honey ice tea

have just been granted our LTBV. only to find the visa has started its count down. by the time we receive our passports back we will already be 2 weeks into our visa.
    we were given the impression that we would have a year to get out there and that our visa would be started then.
    as it takes 4 months to sell a post office we will be pushing it (sold once, fell through) and thats hoping we get another buyer PDQ.
    it has taken 2 years to get this far, i feel highly frustrated
    that a LTBV is treated so very differently from other visas
    i just want to scream.
    we cant buy the business out there in case things go wrong here. the business we want could be sold while we mess around this end. if this happens end of visa and we will need to start again.
    it has been a long haul, lots of money and emotionally
    draining. at this moment i just want to cry.
    anyone know of anyone who wants a post office, 5 beds by the sea, dolphins swimming in the estuary .
    :icon_cry:

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Hi Wendie,

Am so sorry to hear that. i can only sy that i hope you find a buyer soon. The place sounds lovely so I am sure that someone will want to snap it up.

Hang in there.

Helen. :icon_rolleyes:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Wendie, is it right that you only get 9 months to get there and get set up? I was just doing a bit of swatting up on LTBVs and, if that is the case, it really doesn?t give anyone a fair chance of being able to do it with any comfort. How do they expect people to sell up an existing business, which many people will have to do with this type of visa, and get themselves sorted in NZ in that amount of time?

I think I?d be questioning the matter with the folks at NZIS who deal with LTBVs and ask them how you?re supposed to do it all in the allotted time. Really you should have been granted the visa in principal and then be allowed, within a certain (reasonable) time limit, to choose when you want the clock to start ticking. It?s just not realistic IMO to expect you to do what you?ve got to do in a mere 9 months and succeed.

I?m very sad that it?s rained on your parade and hope you can talk some sense into NZIS, as they need to be informed of what?s involved in such a move. They?re supposed to be human, so they may be able to make some suggestions. Certainly hope so. Fingers crossed for you.[img:38cdd5e22b]http://bestsmileys.com/fingers/1.gif[/img:38cdd5e22b]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Hold on Wendie, not sure you should be so glum. As I understood it and after re-reading the LTBV section on the NZIS website. You've actually been granted a temporary work permit for 9 months, however on evidence that progress is being made with business plans this can be extended to up to 3 years. So....

Lets assume you don't sell business for 4 months, that leaves 5 months on existing visa in which to make progress. Surely this is enough to at least show progress in the right direction and get an extension.

Of course this assumes that it's not actually a work permit you've been granted in the true sense of the word. ie. You get it once yoyu arrive in NZ, on all other situation you get visa, then on arrival go to immigration control for stamp in passport or 'permit'. You really should contact NZIS and confirm this isn't the case before panicing.

Check with NZIS for sure gal, post back with what they say. Chin up it will come good. Bummer about possibly losing out on business you've obviously got your eye on in NZ but they'll be more for sure.

wendie is offline Junior Member

hi all,
    thanks for your kind words.
    steve our CO has informed us that are LTBV visa, permit is stamped 1st feb 07.
    he has told us that he can extend that an extra 3 months. then when we have transfered funds and brought the business in question we can then apply for our 27 /24 months visa. but if we want to apply for PR the business will have to have been trading succussfully by us for 2 years,
    we have got a big estate agent guy coming today, thought we will try national now,
    have done all those little job that veiwers cant see through.
    sold once fell thought a the last minute, if this happens again its another wasted 4 months, if we shut the post office, it would be a normal 6 weeks sell.and would turn it into a massive 8/10 bed house, which of course means it would sell for more. although we have discused this we feel it would be very cruel to the village. bless them they have told us to do want we need to do. to get gone. cant figure if thats cos they love us or hate us and want rid.(i think,hope it is the first)
    let you know what happens.
    keep everything crossed.

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Hi Wendie,

I just want to encourage you. We are bound to have challenges (not problems...note the difference) in our life and we have to stay positive, look at the challenge from all perspective instead of only from one angle (359 degrees to look from). Forge on and take concrete actions to overcome the challenge. Only with challenges, we can grow and we should rejoice when we encounter challenges, not avoiding them.

Only through overcoming the challenges, we can secure absolute happiness and victory.

driver is offline Member

Don't know what to say Wendie, but send lots of good luck your way.
    We are going on a LTBV too. Its a daunting task.
    Going national sounds like a good idea, but in the end like the locals say, think about yourself not anyone else. Do whats right for you.

Best wishes and hope someone comes round very soon.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Bugger, that's a pain. Don't know what to suggest now then. Guess you have just gotta keep believing. You'll be ok I'm sure. Hang in there and try not to panic and make rash decsions. At the same time, like the villagers say, you gotta do what's best for you and if that means converting back to sole dwelling then so be it. At the end of the day tho, is there that many people queueing up to buy mansions? It's hardly you're average 3 bed semi :icon_sad: Keep plugging the nationals it'll come.