Thread: Doing this the crazy way

Cord72 is offline Junior Member

Default Doing this the crazy way

Hi everyone :006: - I am new and SOOO glad to have ventured back to this site. I am sure I was here browsing a few months back and just now spent a couple hours getting several questions answered and so I joined up.

My wife Crista :008: and I and our two sons Corbin (11) and Chandler (9) are already booked with paid airfare for the four of us to make the move 26 September from Colorado, by way of Minneapolis (visit the folks first) to Jamaica (sister-in-laws wedding) back to LAX and then on to Warkworth/Leigh/Whangarei area where we hope to stick. :icon_eek: We have return tix in December to make customs happy and hope to push the dates out on arrival.

We have been studying NZ for 2 years since meeting a Kiwi in Colorado and her Colorado husband. They moved back for good 2 months ago :icon_redface: and we have been fast tracking it since. I am pretty well informed on the EOI and VV and WV/WP issues. Having them there already and looking for job offers should make it work. But were going no matter what now!

Call me crazy, but he stars aligned and we pulled the trigger. All the same reasons as everyone else, plus some can't-live-without friends thrown in. I'll chat you up later, off to bed now! Thanks for the help already. Great site.

Cord

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

[img:21f2b752d2]http://bestsmileys.com/hello/4.gif[/img:21f2b752d2] Cord. Welcome to the forum. Glad you?ve found the information of some use.

Hope all goes well for you with the big move :023: . Any info from an American perspective will come in very useful for our other US friends on here waiting to make the move.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Welcome (back!) to the forum. You sound like you know what you want and we'll all be pleased to help in any way we can :icon_biggrin:

Sounds like you have just the right attitude to fit in nicely in NZ :icon_wink:

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Hi

The areas you've mentioned are beautiful! Have spent a few weekends in other people's baches up there...............and been to Goat Island ( the coral reef) snorkeling!

Hope all goes well

Fisheress

stndrd is offline Member

Welcome to the forum and good luck w/ the trip!

-Brian & April

Default Thanks

Thanks to you all for your replies. I was so near hyperventilation as I read some of the posts last night that I couldn't fall asleep for nearly 2 hours! With tickets purchased and a household of crap to sell off I have 4 months to get it done! We would go today if we didn't have the Jamaica leg on the itinerary. That will be fun though.

My biggest fear is of course the job. I am a licensed insurance producer/agent assistant with a national firm in the USA. I have seen AA and State operating in NZ. What other names are there? My wife is a licensed hair stylist, senior level with 9 years experience.

Anyone out there know of openings in Auckland or north of there for either of these trades? I don't want to crash land and try to secure work but I will if I have to. Having friends to stay with helps that process.

Thanks - Cord

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi Cord,

Our Yellow Pages cover the Whangarei area and north, but not Orewa/Warkworth, however most of the companies listed have branches in the Auckland area. There are a lot of them ...

AA Insurance
    AMI Insurance
    AMP Financial Services
    Asterton
    Atradius Credit Insurance
    Autosure New Zealand
    AXA New Zealand
    Crown Insurance
    EIG-Ansvar Limited
    Fintel
    FMG
    Lumley General Insurance (NZ) Ltd
    SIS Insurance
    Southsure Assurance Ltd
    Sovereign Ltd
    Star Insurance
    State
    Tower Insurance
    Vero

Our newspapers only cover Whangarei and north, there is only insurance vacany available at the moment which is for a claims officer - obviously a junior post as training provided.

There are a lot more jobs on the New Zealand Herald website's employment pages - http://jobs.nzherald.co.nz/js.php?pb...e;bs=1;bt=jcat - though most are probably in Auckland. If you can get a job on the north shore of Auckland, then commuting from Orewa would not be too bad.

Good luck.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Thanks for those names, I have looked up all of them and continue to be optimistic. I can't find any news on being licensed to sell insurance or wok in an insurance office. Surely there are some tests to take? Who can tell me about the requirements to work in the field?

Thanks - Cord

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Perhaps if you contacted one or more of the companies by email, they could enlighten you about conditions for applying for jobs and entry into the system.

I'd like to think you'd have some sort of response, but with kiwis and their laid-back manner, it could take a time coming.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.