Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Miss Anything from the UK?

bikershaz is offline Member

Default Do You Miss Anything from the UK?

Hi all,

Starting to get excited about moving now, although it won't be until September.

We live in Spain at the moment and to be honest don't miss an awful lot from UK. No friends so don't miss that, don't have any family except parents, although they will visit, so not a problem. Miss having chats with people at work, not a problem in NZ as we speak the same language :icon_biggrin: We don't even miss fish and chips which they have in NZ anyway. For us I think Spain is quite a hard country to live in and we managed so I'm thinking that NZ will be a little easier.

So back to my question: is there anything you miss from the UK?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

We?re in the same boat as you, Bikershaz. We?ve been away from the UK for quite a while and don?t miss much at all, just the odd items that they don?t have here and we stock up on those when we return to the UK for a visit.

Had I still been in the UK and was moving to NZ, the one thing I would and will miss is central heating. I?m really not sure how I?m going to cope with just a woodburner at one end of the house and only an oil-filled radiator at the other end. I know that central heating isn?t that good for us, but I?m a miserable s*d when I?m really cold and my bones are aching. Just as well I?ve hung onto my thermal undies.

[img:09db9d4174]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_26.gif[/img:09db9d4174]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

johnty is offline Senior Member

this is a question i was thinking of , we are a long way from going at the mo
    and was pondering the," wonder what we will miss".and dont think it vwill be much ,but guess you dont know till you have been there a while.
    MB they are starting to install english style heating systems in some parts.
    (tried to get a guys email adress(in vain)who was looking to employ people who had experience in these systems in the christchurch area

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I have thought carefully ... but can honestly say there is very little I miss!

When it gets colder, I will (like Mother Bear) miss the central heating. Luckily, we are in the "winterless north" so it just means putting the thermal underwear and fleeces on.

Any desire for UK foods is catered for here through the odd local shop, or bought online.

Only one very silly little thing that comes to mind ... those little washing-up sponges with a harder scrubbing side that were bought in packs of three for 30-odd pence. It costs over $2 to buy just one sponge here. :icon_lol:

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

There are things we miss about the UK and we're still here, lots of things. I mean, we miss the way the UK used to be :icon_frown:

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

I too have been thinking about this deeply, so it looks like a timely post Shaz.

Being the kind of loon I am it's not uncommon for me to try and get to 'that cheap petrol station' 20 miles away even tho tyhe fuel light is on. I will miss ringing up the nearest family member or friend and getting them to bring over a can of fuel for me hehe. I don't mean that's the main thing I miss, breaking down, but it illustrates what friends and family can do for you that you won't have as back-up for a few years in NZ until you network again.

I think the biggest thing I'll miss materialistically is BARGAINS!!! I don't get the sense that I'll be able to scour around a host of shops with reduced rails and get really quality stuff still. You know kind of TK Maxx places or those mad Jeans shops where you've got every item for a ?5er. I like shopping but won't be able to do it half as much if everything costs loads more. Also Ebay, I know they hav Trademe but they don't seem to have those online outlets selling new stuff for used prices.

Finally, I'll miss British architecture, the history that we're steeped in here is constantly echoed by the Tudor houses next door to to a georgian mansion with a Victorian terrace at the end of a road. Out of town you've got Manor Houses and Thatched cottages. Colonialist architecture, whilst being quaint at times depresses me when I think about the history of it all. And as for those hideous town with single story white building on the high street of the town you're driving though yuk!!! Like that depressing film based in Americas deep south where the grotty town is the place of a massacre or sordid relationship scene, just doesn't float my boat at all.

hehe could be that Christchurch will be perfect for me and may well swing me from Welly once we see them all.

How bout that Dawn, now there's a freakin essay :icon_mrgreen: Sorry peeps. I could go on.

nattydread is offline God like figure

[quote:2b7e5f2f6d]So back to my question: is there anything you miss from the UK?[/quote:2b7e5f2f6d]

No

Ady
    Ady is offline Member

Got to say - absolutely nothing missed about the UK.
    Football - now replaced by the NRL & Super 14.
    Fish & Chips - Better over here - and I was from Grimsby too!
    Bargains? Nope. 90% of everything I've bought over her from clothes to electrical to furniture was actually cheaper here.
    Paying nearly a quid for a litre of fuel - Duhh...
    Weather - no brainer!

Although I will say one thing. I was working down in ChCh last week. Lovely place in the day. At night though, it turned into almost a provincial British town with fighting in the streets and kids disrupting every hotel room in the city centre. I may have been unlucky, but thats how I found it. I'm sure it goes on everywhere, but I've not seen anything that brought it home to me like that.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

[quote:cc52829b9a="nattydread"][quote:cc52829b9a]So back to my question: is there anything you miss from the UK?[/quote:cc52829b9a]

No[/quote:cc52829b9a]

Don't be so indecisive, Natty! :icon_mrgreen:
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

[quote:caca54ff96="Mother Bear"][quote:caca54ff96="nattydread"][quote:caca54ff96]So back to my question: is there anything you miss from the UK?[/quote:caca54ff96]

No[/quote:caca54ff96]

Don't be so indecisive, Natty! :icon_mrgreen:[/quote:caca54ff96]

Yeah Natty, stop beating around the bush!

Stevey, cool post man, getting the hang of the long ones now and 'could go on'....go on mate....go on.... I want to hear :038:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast