Thread: North Shore

Thrrrp is offline Junior Member

Default North Shore

Within the next 6 weeks we'll be off to the North Shore, Beach Haven.
    We'll be looking to buy or more likely rent and want somewhere around the Beach Haven area as thats where I'll be working out of so within a half hourish drive. Got to be coastal. Any recomendations? How about some photos?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default North Shore

You might find some snippets of information on the North Shore in here and here , but nothing specific on Beach Haven. Gives you an idea of what the general region is like and what?s available there. There?s even a webcam view available from the top of a local hotel (takes ages to load up and I found I only had a few seconds to look at it before it shut down, plus it was dark at the time).

Let?s hope someone who?s living up that way can give more insight on life on the North Shore.

Good luck with your trip and the settling down in NZ.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default North Shore

Thanks MB every little helps, lets see what else turnes up.

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Default North Shore

Hi

I live in Browns Bay which is one of the East Coast Bays of the North Shore.

North Shore is nice and lots of English, South Africans and Koreans settle here. The East Coast Bays are beautiful places to live. My rental house is 10 min walk from the beach. It does feel a bit too English for me at times.

Devonport is very south of the North Shore but is VERY expensive to live as you can get the commuter ferry into the city to miss the traffic.

If you live on the Shore it's a good idea to work that side too as the only traffic jam is rush hour into and out of Auckland. They're proposing a toll on the harbour bridge during that time too.

Beach Haven wouldn't be my choice of where to live out of all the shore but that's just my opinion.

Th Hibiscus Coast which is even more northerly than me is a beautiful place too...............but it's too far from the city for my 17 year old :icon_frown:

Fisheress

Default North Shore

Thanks fisheress, whats wrong with Beach Haven???? not having been there its realy difficult to get an opinion of the place. I'm not looking for 'English' thats not why were moving to NZ. Sensible prices are important and as close to the sea as poss. I'm looking forward to working for someone instead of myself so that when I go home I can switch off from work. Having more leasure time, I aim to buy a boat and hopefully teach the wife to reverse the trailer.
    So where do you suggest, I will be driving to work and driving whilst at work around the area.

Default North Shore

Beach Haven isn't the open sea coast. it's on the edge of the Waitemata Harbour (Auckland Harbour). In fact, it lies more on what they call a creek than a beach.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like Blackpool , but there are other coastal beaches which are nicer and probably a lot less than a 1/2 hour commute. There's nothing like dipping your toes in the Pacific or the Tasman.

When you arrive, find out where you're working and then have a scoot round the area. See what you think!

Good Luck with your move!

Fisheress

Default North Shore

Thanks for the opinion. We have freinds in St Helliers that we will be staying with for as long as it takes to find accomodation. Think we will be looking around the areas trying to decide. Got to be by the sea dont like the idea of a harbour. So we'll wait till we get there, hopefuly I can get enough time off to have a good look around.

Default North Shore

Great!I'm sure you'll find the right place to live once you get to look for yourself.

We had a mooch on a 2 week visit then found a house 2 days after arriving permanently. There are loads of rentals to choose from.

Good luck with the move and happy house hunting!! :icon_lol:

Fisheress