Thread: How Does One Qualify to Live/Settle in New Zealand

ccummins is offline Junior Member

Default How Does One Qualify to Live/Settle in New Zealand

I would like to know what one must do to move to New Zealand. I was speaking to a co-worker who has lived in New Zealand and imports/exports products from there to the USA. He told me that their is a 'point' system in getting into New Zealand. If this is correct, would you please explain it to me?

moose is offline Senior Member

Hi ccummins

welcome to the site, great place to retrieve all your information.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ ?should give you all the information you need and you can use the points calculator to see if you qualify for EOI.

We got in because Moose (Martin) has a trade and has serve apprenticeship here in the uk also attaining city and guilds 1 and 2 qualifications these are the equivalent to NVQ4 ?which is the accepted qualification against the NZQA.

it also comes down to your experience in your given trade, as I think I'm right in saying, it's better for your application if you have a relative amount of experience and not just qualifications.

So we got in on skilled immigrant catagory which i believe is still 100 points and over to be able to submit an EOI

Hope this info helps and I'm sure you'll get more answers soon from others and their experiences of the process

cheers

Anna [smiley=006.gif] ?[smilie=Welcome_2.gif]

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Very basically, you can get into NZ in a variety of ways:

1. Go on a tourist visa, look for work, get a job offer, apply for a Work Permit and go on from there to get Permanent Residency.
    2. Apply for a Working Holiday Visa (if you?re under 30 years old) and look for a more permanent job when you?re in NZ.
    3. Apply through the points system as Moose suggests, but this depends on what type of occupation you have. If you have a skill that NZ badly wants, you stand a good chance of getting in that way.
    4. You can also apply for a Long Term Business Visa if you want to start your own company or buy into an existing one, but this can be very long-winded and expensive.
    5. If you have a very deep pool of money lying around, you could apply under the Investor?s Category, but you?d need to tie up about $2 million for, I believe, a 2-year period.

In order to be able to stay permanently in NZ i.e. get PR, you still need to pass a stringent medical and also provide a police certificate verifying you're of good character i.e. don't have criminal tendencies.

Hope I've got this right now, as NZIS keep changing the rules. ::)
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Hello ccummins, a warm welcome to our forum!

I just want to add that if you are applying under the skilled migrant category, although you can submit your EOI (Expression of Interest) if you have 100 points, the chances of getting selected from the pool and invited to apply for permanent residency is slimer than having already a job offer (worth 50 points) that can bring up your points to 150.

NZIS changed this policy in November last year to attract even more qualified immigrants.

However that doesn't meant that you cannot submit your EOI when you have 100 points. For example, if you have a job offer and your points at 100, you will probably stand a very high chance of getting selected to apply for residency.

On the other hand, if you have no job offer but if your skill is of absolute shortage, you will also likely to get selected.

See below statements from the latest selection exercise.

'The most recent selection of Expressions of Interest (EOIs) under the Skilled Migrant Category took place on 12 April 2006.

370 EOIs were selected that had a points total of 140 or above;

82 EOIs were selected that had a points total of 100 or more but less than 140, and included points for offers of skilled employment or current skilled employment in New Zealand.

95 EOIs were selected that had a points total of 120 or more but less than 140, and included 15 points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage.

As a result, 547 EOIs representing 1232 people were selected and will now undergo preliminary verification to determine if an invitation to apply for residency will be issued.'

As mentioned, there are many many ways you can get into NZ but ultimately you must have the determination to stay on course once started no matter which immigration path you choose.

Good luck!
    Pulsarblu