Thread: parcels to NZ

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Default parcels to NZ

We are heading to Auckland in June on the start of our job-hunting expedition and was wondering what's the best way of getting a carton load of essentials out to us (things like toys, extra clothes, CDs, kitchen equipment) that we will probably need in our first few months but which we won't have space for in our luggage? I had the bright idea of sending a carton out just as we left the UK, probably by the cheapest air mail we can get, but then suddenly realised we won't actually have an address other than our serviced apartment. ?Would it be OK to send it to 'poste restante' in Auckland, or is this just for letters? ?The only people we know are in Wellington and we are not planning to get down there until about 3 weeks after our arrival - I just wanted to get some additional familiar toys brought out for the kids that they could have just after we got to NZ, rather than them having to wait weeks for the container to arrive once we get our PR (fingers crossed!)

Any one got any suggestions? ?Please?? ?[smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default parcels to NZ

Which airline are you flying with, Maggie? If it's Air NZ, you get extra baggage allowance anyway, 64 kg per person, I believe.

Other than excess baggage, which is expensive but it could fly with you, there is the option of sending it by courier, but I wouldn't like to guess how much that would cost.

For post restante matters check out Glenda's link. I think you'll find you can have parcels sent there.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default parcels to NZ

Hi Mother Bear,

We are indeed flying out with Air New Zealand, and are lucky enough to have bought our ticket prior to them lowering the baggage allowance. (phew!!) We are already taking out a fair amount of luggage (3 large suitcases, 2 travel cots, one double buggy and 2 single buggies, laptop, children's paraphernalia etc! - here's hoping we get it all in the Ford Territory we've hired! - any one got any idea on luggage space in such a vehicle?)

I was hoping to get some important but not essential for journey stuff sent out ahead of us just to help the kids settle when we get there - I know its going to be expensive, but reckon it will be worth it just to kep the little ones happy [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]

Maggie et al

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default parcels to NZ

Eh? ANZ lowered baggage allowance? To what?

Default parcels to NZ

Hi Steve, for tickets bought after, I think, March 12 2006, the baggage allowance for economy class passengers is now 2 pieces, each weighing less than 23kg, so quite a decrease - we only found out about it because of a flyer that came with our tickets and I've just checked it on the Air New Zealand site and unfortunately it is indeed the case that economy passengers allowances have been reduced (business class passengers can still have 2 pieces at 32kg each!)

I am just so glad that we bought our tickets in advance of the change but guess that's no help to you - sorry [smiley=icon_sad.gif]

Maggie

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default parcels to NZ

s'alright, pretty sure they won't be cheapest when it comes down to it anyway, and quite fancy going via asia anyway cos of the jet lag, non US customs etc. Hope it's ok for you tho.

When they say 2 pieces does that include buggies and the like, you had way more than 2 pieces in your list earlier. Also does the same apply for the kids or do they have reduced baggage allowance?

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default parcels to NZ

Hi Steve, for tickets bought after, I think, March 12 2006, the baggage allowance for economy class passengers is now 2 pieces, each weighing less than 23kg, so quite a decrease - we only found out about it because of a flyer that came with our tickets and I've just checked it on the Air New Zealand site and unfortunately it is indeed the case that economy passengers allowances have been reduced (business class passengers can still have 2 pieces at 32kg each!)

I am just so glad that we bought our tickets in advance of the change but guess that's no help to you - sorry [smiley=icon_sad.gif]

Maggie
    [smiley=icon_eek.gif]

This is BIG news, very important news to those who are making plans to emigrate to NZ.

I checked on the AirNZ site myself and checked around various places but whilst I can find the allowances as mentioned by Maggie, I cannot find any mention of the change.

Maybe they really have changed it; or perhaps there is still an extra allowance for one-way ticket holders? I cannot find any info on that either ... Maggie, are you going on a one-way or return ticket?

[smiley=icon_confused.gif]
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Default parcels to NZ

Hi Steve - I know we are taking a lot of stuff but we should be OK as we have got luggage allowance for 4 people - we have bought seats for the kids even though they will be too small to sit in them!! - we just figured it was worth shelling out the extra cash so that we have some space to stretch out!

Hi Glenda - we have bought return tickets as we are going out on visitors visa unless hubby manages to secure a job offer in the next 6 weeks - here's hoping!! I found a couple of good adverts on the net last night so there's 2 more applications in.

Right, now its back to packing up stuff to take to the charity shop!! fun fun fun! - but its all worth it to get down to a 20ft container load!

Maggie x

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default parcels to NZ

Good luck with hubby's job search, Maggie. Hope he finds something very soon. [smiley=023.gif]

Seems like there's quite a few members hoping to set out on the Big Move around the middle of the year. I won't be one, for sure, as I've got a couple+ years to wait. This suits us, I guess, as hubster's still working here in the Middle East, so we couldn't settle in NZ yet anyway. Just hope they don't make things even more difficult for us when the time comes.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.