Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey Days

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Grey Days

Do they have these non-descript, dull, lifeless, soul-destroying grey days in NZ? You know the kind, where there's very little light and everything feels like it's dragging its heels through thick smog. These kind of days really throw my psyche against the rocks, I truly find it hard to muster the positivity to do much more than get out of bed. I've read that because of its geographical positioning the Land of the Long White Cloud gets stronger sunlight? I'm really hoping this means that I can say goodbye to the days I struggle with so much.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Grey Days

Hi Dawn,

Guess you are having a depressing grey day! :icon_wink:

It depends where you move to in New Zealand, but I would say generally you will probably get just a handful of completely grey and dull days here. Most days will have some sunshine, even if it doesn't last. Statistically, New Zealand has many more hours of sunshine than the UK, even in the wettest parts of the country. We are talking about an extra 1000 hours sunshine per year for some parts of the country.

Yes, the sunshine is brighter here - don't know if it is geography or lack of pollution. If NZ was placed on the same latitude in the northern hemisphere it would be over France/Spain with the tip of the North Island touching Africa. Of course it doesn't get as hot as these countries due to the cooler weather patterns but the sun is certainly much brighter, and hotter.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Grey Days

You do get the occasional grey day here Dawn, but in general, a typical rainy day in New Zealand goes like this: hammers it down with rain, sun comes out, hammers it down with rain some more, sun comes out, hammers it down with rain..... and so on, you get the idea - just as it's doing today actually! Oh how we miss the grey, miserable drizzle that was the UK sometimes (NOT!). The weather here never ceases to amaze us with its changeability (is that an actual word, changeability?? - doesn't look right :017: ). Anyway, as I was saying, grey days are few and far between which is fortunate as I, like you, suffer from grey-day-syndrome, when I find it difficult to get motivated (especially if it's a Sunday :icon_rolleyes: ). NZ is always a beautiful country but it just comes to life in the sun.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Grey Days

Yeah I'm with you Dawn!!! I don't hate rain at all, sometimes it can be mesmerising when it's bucketing down, but when it's just grey, overcast and drizzly it really gets me down!!! If on a weekend I actually shut the curtains just to shut it out.

If it's gonna rain, do in blimming properly that's what I say, and NZ seems to do just that. Cool!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Grey Days

Well, it could be worse. A breezy day on the Kapiti Coast. .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Grey Days

I've heard a lot of people say that the climate is fairly disappointing in most parts of NZ and there's actually more rain than the UK. I suppose it's warmer in the winter if you're on the NI but if you want good climate that's a lot better than the UK Australia's probably better.

Personally, I'm not too bothered by climate. Uk weather's fine by me but I suppose if you're older it's probably more important in which case I'd think Australia would be a better place to live.

Tottefan.

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Grey Days

[quote:4b490f1c7c="tottefan"]I've heard a lot of people say that the climate is fairly disappointing in most parts of NZ and there's actually more rain than the UK. I suppose it's warmer in the winter if you're on the NI but if you want good climate that's a lot better than the UK Australia's probably better.

Personally, I'm not too bothered by climate. Uk weather's fine by me but I suppose if you're older it's probably more important in which case I'd think Australia would be a better place to live.

Tottefan.[/quote:4b490f1c7c]

Tottefan you should go read my post in what are you expecting? I'm not moaning about the climate, it doesn't bother me, I love cold, frosty days it's just that I prefer them bright. I don't mind rain either, walking in the rain with the fresh air blowing in my hair makes me feel beautifully alive! Even more so, my daily run, whatever the weather, through the forest that is on my doorstep makes me praise nature as I notice the landscape change daily with the weather and the seasons. I know that you are still at university and so probably considerably younger than myself, although my partner and I both went back to university in our late twenties, but although I have three children I am still only 36, run 25 miles a week, teach ballet and several other styles of dance everyday, have more staying power and stamina than the 16 year olds in my classes who can't match my energy levels and have been known to win many an arm wrestling bout with macho men too tied up in their masoginism to notice my biceps. I could be wrong but I don't think I'm aching for the warmer climes or a gentler lifestyle, nor do I think I'm ready to join the SAGA club yet. I want to grab life by the balls and squeeze as much out of it as I can and then some more.....and then some more.

Despite all this, I do have the personal understanding to realise that I have a sensitive psyche. I have to take care of myself psychologically as colourless days (not rain or cold) take their toll on my self-belief. So bring on the sunshine.....whatever else it's doing. :icon_biggrin:

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Grey Days

:icon_lol:

I don't think Totte was referring specifically to you when he mentioned that (good) weather was more important to the older person, he was just speaking out generally to all who happens to read his post. [smilie=yes.gif]

Australia [i:6c56367970]is[/i:6c56367970] nice but, in Melbourne for example, there is a similar winter temperature to NZ, but it can get to 42degrees in summer! Now, I think that would be too hot for my ageing bones. :icon_wink:

New Zealand temperatures would be just right if it weren't for one little hiccup ... it gets bloody chilly in houses with no insulation or central heating - and that seems to be the majority of houses. :icon_neutral:

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Grey Days

Yeah, just to clarify, my post wasn't aimed at anyone.

Tottefan.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Grey Days

hehe, another emphatic post from the Dawnmeister. You should write books when you've finished putting life through agony with your squeezing. Children in future English Lit classes could marvel at your metaphors and struggle with your similes (different to smilies MB).

Yeah Man :smiley11: Peace out!!! :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast