Thread: Blood Test Problems

Julian is offline Member

Default Blood Test Problems

Has anyone's blood sample analysis been returned with out of range readings?
    My wife and two girls have, must have another test before Residency Application can continue.
    I'm going to try and have our GP take samples and submit to lab although she is not on the recognised list. Does this matter?
    anyone

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Nattydread mentioned some problem with his in here that he seems to have overcome.

Unfortunately he's currently off the air until he gets set up in NZ, so perhaps you can have a word with him when he's about again if it's a similar problem that your family has.

I'd have thought that NZIS would be looking to have all your results coming from the same doctor, which should be a panel doctor. Having the tests redone by your own doctor might be beneficial for your own peace of mind, but I would still think the panel doctor would have to do the retest for it to be officially accepted. If I'm wrong, someone will no doubt point it out.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

BruceampGill is offline Member

Hi Julian

I had high readings on 3 of my liver function tests but have stayed off the wine and beer for a couple of weeks and the levels are coming down! The only high one is for the GGT enzyme which apparently should be about 60 but mine was 164 and is now 105. I have sent in my work permit application with the 164 result and have not heard anything back yet!!

I am waiting for my ITA to arrive and hopefully my levels will be even lower by then.

Does it matter?

Cant say really but I hope not as this was something I never even considered to be an issue.

I will let you know what happens

Good luck

Bruce

I am so hacked off right now. >:(

This morning I got a letter from NZIS regarding my medical report and they want further information on my Liver function tests ::)

I have had a few tests and my GGT level has been 164 down to 105 and now back up to 125!!!

I have also been screened for every conceivable Hepatitis strain known to mankind , all with negative results..phew :-[

Anyway now I need to get an ultrasound done on my liver which apart from being a bit concerned about, will cost an extra $260 :-/

Not sure what they might find but suffice it to say I am a wee bit concerned (no logical reason to be though).

Well if this doesnt get me the work permit then I think I will have to pack up and return to Scotland >:( >:(

Time will tell and I will post my results next week

Bruce

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hell Bruce, what a pain.

I hope to goodness that your ultrasound fails to show anything untoward. Has the doc made any suggestions as to what you could do to lower your GGT level, other than reducing your alcohol intake or has he thrown any light on what could be causing the problem?

We?ll keep our fingers crossed that it goes well and look forward to hearing some good news from you soon. It's always a bit of a shock to find out from these medicals that something's not quite right with our health and it's something I'm not looking forward to myself at my age.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi MB

The doc says it is generally related to alcohol, drug abuse or possibly gaul bladder problems!!

I dont have issues with any of these so it is pretty much a mystery at the moment. I am of good health (obviously not now!!) and will be 40 next year.

As I said, hopefully the results will clear up any negative concerns.

Bruce

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

What a bummer Bruce me ode mate! Isn't there anything you can do to help bring it down a bit quicker? isn't there anything you can make sure you eat or drink to help your liver function. I know that nutritionists suggest that different foods have an effect on specific organs but I don't know if any of them can help to lower GGT.

I've heard so many people say that once they get to NZ they start to live healthier lifestyles, you know, eating healthier and exercising more, I guess it's the outdoor living philosophy that swings it, but like Bruce there have been peeps who don't live that unhealthily here and are still encountering probs.

I'll have a look through the books I have Bruce, you never know there may be something that can help. Have you asked the dr whether diet might help to influence the levels?

Thanks Dawn

The doc has said that generally, booze, drugs or maybe gall bladder probs but as I said, none of these are me!

I have looked extensively online at a few medical forums and a lot of people have readings of 300 plus upto over 400! These guys are all complaining of pain in the upper right quadrant of abdomen and are regular drinkers.

I dont really expect to find much in the scan but maybe I will have what is known as fatty infiltrates. Non specific but could be attributed to diet. Again I dont feel that i have a BAD diet but perhaps in consideration of this maybe it could be better. However, my wife who I would have to say has been eating a similar diet to me for the past 16 years has returned a GGT level of only 25!

I will post the results when I get them

Ta Bruce