Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Wine

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default New Zealand Wine

This article was in this week's SF Chronicle. It might be of use to any wine sippers out there who want to know more about what the Kiwis are doing. I can personally vouch for Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs. They made me a believer in this varietal. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...01&sc=1000
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Julian is offline Member

Default New Zealand Wine

Hi Selchie,

I can't say I've sampled the delights of MARLBOROUGH SAUVIGNON BLANCS. I'm sure its very palatable.

There's a very nice white called MATUA, goes with anything, if you're interested.
    The red's not bad either.

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default New Zealand Wine

Got a lovely Seifried Gewurztraeminer from Nelson. Not overawed by NZ wines to be honest and just can't stand chardonnays in general. Haven't missed much since coming to NZ but I revelled in the great variety of wines available in the Uk supermarkets, a prime advantage of being in the EU. Chenin Blanc mmm I can taste the apples as I write. Usually managed to get good stuff under a fiver.
    What else have I missed? Jersey Royals (NZ Bennes not as good), good cream crackers, sausages and danish back bacon.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default New Zealand Wine

All the wines taste good to me, espcially as I always drink them with lemonade.

What's wrong with Huntley Palmers crackers then, Daisyspop? Where you thinking of something more posh from the UK? ;)

Some sausages are awful but there are some nice ones ... our favourite are pork and pineapple sausages from New World. The London Pride ones are not bad either.

Bacon ... hmmm. We buy Beehive Rindless Eye bacon, from New World at $8-9 a pack of about 15 lean back slices. Expensive but nice. Must admit miss dearly Tescos Finest Maple-smoked bacon. *sigh*
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default New Zealand Wine

That is really something new... I personally love wine but just not too much and I like those that are very easy to drink, not too strong... I love the apple, kiwi ciders, those are really nice....  

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default New Zealand Wine

I like blue WKD cos I'm cultured

Real cultured 8-)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default New Zealand Wine

That is really something new...
    It's called a spritzer and I often take my wine like that if it's a bit acidy. Not that I've had any alcohol in yonks, of course, but I remember it well.

I like blue WKD cos I'm cultured
    Is that anything like WD40?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Default New Zealand Wine

There are some great wines here!

I love the Marlborough Sav as well. There's one called Shingle Peak too (can't remember which area). I've gone off Chardonnay, so am enjoying sampling other wines.

I used to have soda water in my wine on a week night but since I've been here on my todd, have ditched that idea....a glass of undiluted makes for a good nights sleep too in my very empty bed!!!

I don't drink red wine............it does strange things to me :)

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default New Zealand Wine

I used to have soda water in my wine on a week night but since I've been here on my todd, have ditched that idea....a glass of undiluted makes for a good nights sleep too in my very empty bed!!!
    I am soooo tempted to have two or three glasses of undiluted wine for a good night's sleep. However, I feel I should always be completely sober in case I have to drive the kids anywhere in an emergency, and be aware if they are coughing or being ill in the night. One of the disadvantages of not having an 'significant (or in my case, insignificant) other' around. Never mind, later in the year I will have my newly turned 15yo to chauffeur me.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default New Zealand Wine

Here we call wine with 7-Up (= UK lemonade?) a wine cooler, and it is indeed good for turning an otherwise acidic or blah wine into a refreshing beverage.

I wonder if some ambivalence to NZ wines is the difference in styles between Kiwi and European wines, to which many of you may be accustomed. I learned a lot about wine, and developed a taste for dry wines, when I moved to wine country. I visited a lot of tasting rooms in my college years. I highly recommend this for folks moving to NZ, though don't drink too much in a day if you're driving
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast