Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids forum

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Kids forum

hey guys, my kids have been coming in and out whilst i've been comin on to this forum asking whether they can talk to people about NZ. My 15 year old especially would like to chat with kids her age who are about to go, want to go or are already there. My 10 year old also has questions he'd like to ask other kids his age. Any thoughts as to whether we could allow them a section of this forum or a limited forum of their own?

moose is offline Senior Member

Default Kids forum

WAT A BRILL IDEA :041: !!!

You're full of good ideas Dawn.

I think you're keeping them on their toes, first the chat room now this.

NickampJacky Guest

Default Kids forum

Good idea Dawn, no infact a fantastic idea

Lets face it for alot of us its these little people that are half the reason we are all looking to move to NZ.

I know for sure that everyone has fears, concerns and light hearted asides about moving to NZ....and I think its onlt fair for the "littlies" to have their own forum section.

Taffy its over to you mate! But I would suggest that it would need to be very well moderated & postings only made under their parents login and approval for posting given by Taffy. A sad state of affairs, but lets look after the kids eh?

I know our two would love to make friends with kids their own age through this forum. Infact I would bet that their postings would make more sense than some peoples.......

Cheers

Nick

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Kids forum

Another forum already has it and you're not allowed in as an adult, have to do a weird verification process if I recall correctly.

I've heard that some of the posts in that section of the website are really bad, with youths really running each other down.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Kids forum

I think a 'closed' forum is a good idea to protect kids from being accessed by undesirable elements, but if it can't be closely monitored by parents, gawd knows what could be happening in there.

Yes, I know I'm being paranoid again but, as Stevey says......... And, when the cat's away, the mice will play...well, some of them, anyway.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

NickampJacky Guest

Default Kids forum

Stevey & MB

Your setting the paranoia alarm off with me! I wouldnt want our 8&9 year olds swanning about in a forum with 13&14 year olds posting about all sorts of things that would make a loving parent's toes curl!

To complicate matters further - would age banding a couple of forums work, with say under 10s still monitored by parents, and teenagers let loose to scream and fight between themselves.

Taffy can be the bouncer on the door!

moose is offline Senior Member

Default Kids forum

why can't it be monitored on this site, cos i think most people are genuine.

also there are schools that have there own chat rooms ie papamoa primary school has one but you as parent have to give them written consent to use it.

i'll see if i can find the link again.

i talk to my kids about msn and the probs with making sure u know who you r talking to so hopefully it has made them sensibubble, and they don't know this but when they use it, it is automatically saved to another file so i can check on it from time to time. it would be nice if we could do something like that here.

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Kids forum

i thought about the security thing as soon as my kids mentioned it of course i did but there must be some way of their login being authenticated, maybe they have to log in with parents password or shared password as well as their own so that everyone knows they're who they say they are and not just some sicko in there when they shouldnt be.

The problem of older ones postin unsuitable stuff is a bit more tricky but down to parents don't you think? My 15 year old would not dream of posting something unsuitable for younger kids, she has a younger brother and knows what is acceptable and whats not. Anyway, there's no getting away from takin responsibility for whats said as it can be traced right back, I know mine certainly wouldnt risk that!! :021:

Of course, there will always be an element of risk but come on...where's our faith in their naivity? We do as much as we can to eliminate risk and then trust. So much of childrens childhoods are disappearing, they cant go out 'here', they shouldnt go 'there', they cant talk to 'them', they cant trust anyone they meet, they shouldnt talk to anyone they dont know. I know we mean to protect them but where does it all end? I'd like to believe that the people on this site are genuine folks otherwise it means i've been conversing with weirdos for weeks (well I kinda knew that anyway)...and hey we're all risk-takers coz otherwise we wouldnt br throwing everythin we know up in the air and flying 12000 miles on a wing and a prayer now would we? [-o<

Nick, jacky I've pm'd you about the books!!!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Kids forum

IMO I really don't think the forum has enough members to warrant a kids forum. I honestly think it would grind to a halt. :icon_sad:

It might just be best to put out a request and anyone who can help would PM with an email. I've got a 10yo son and will PM Dawn with his email addy.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

NickampJacky Guest

Default Kids forum

Dawn - didnt get the pm about the books (unless you mean the one last saurday?)

I think Glenda has a point - some days the forum nearly grinds to a halt with grown ups!

Ok then, I have two girls aged 8 & 9 - into the brownies, bratz, narnia, dolphins, fairies etc................so if anyone wants to pm me or sned a email from or on behalf of their kids please feel free to do so. I will print them out and pass them on.

Its a start anyway!

Cheers

Nick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast