Thread: BigMac Index

ExPat is offline Member

Default BigMac Index

This may sound like a dumb question but is there a McDonald's in NZ? If so how much does a BigMac (burger, fries [chips], & drink) cost?

I keep reading that the cost of living is high in NZ but compared to what? It would seem to me that people migrating from UK (taking their sterling/pounds) would be somewhat better off converting them to NZ$ at least initially.

Are salaries too low? Are products too expensive? Is there anywhere to get a list of a standard set of goods and how much they would cost such as:

1 lb of beef (or rather 0.5 kg of beef)
    10 gallons of gas (or rather 40 liters of gasoline)
    10 apples
    a box of cereal
    a DVD player
    a DVD movie
    a bag of potatoes
    0.5 kg of tomatoes

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default BigMac Index

Hi,

For regular foodstuffs, take a look at http://www.foodtown.co.nz

Foodtown prices are on the high side, but it gives you an idea of prices.

A Big Mac 'combo' here (burger, fries, drink) costs NZ$6.65 i think which is cheaper than UK but probably more than US.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

ExPat is offline Member

Default BigMac Index

Thanks Taffy!

That foodtown website is great. Stuff looks about what I pay in the US for bananas and apples and I find that remarkable since they are probably shipped there from South America just like they are for the US!

Although eggs and chicken are a bit pricey, don't you guys have chickens there?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default BigMac Index

Chicken is quite expensive here, don't really know why! I'm sure there's chook farms here somewhere!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default BigMac Index

We buy our chickens ready-cooked and hot - not much difference in price and saves on electricity. :icon_neutral:

There is such a wide range of prices here - cereals, for example, range from $2 to $8 per box.

As for dvd players and dvds, it really depends on what you are willing to pay and what you want. We paid $180 for our bog-standard dvd player and bought a new release dvd movie for $28 yesterday, which was about $10 cheaper than usual.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

ExPat is offline Member

Default BigMac Index

Are items generally cheaper in the larger cities (Auckland, Welly) or more expensive when you say that they vary greatly? or is it just different shop to shop?

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default BigMac Index

With cereals, the local NZ brands are cheapest. Then you have the more expensive NZ brands, then the ones imported (like Kelloggs from Australia).

There is more competition in cities between shops and smaller companies. However, the cheapest products can be found in large companies and the prices are generally set nationally.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb