Thread: Growing up in NZ

interested is offline Junior Member

Default Growing up in NZ

I'm new to this :icon_eek: and wonder how it works if someone's been educated in NZ :icon_question: .
    My family moved to NZ from UK at my tender age of 3 as my father got work there. I was educated at the local primary, intermediate and high schools. I have since moved back to UK but would like to revisit or possibly move back to NZ one day. Does anyone know if growing up in NZ is considered when applying for documents for living there?

'interested'

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Growing up in NZ

Hi interested,

I was educated in intermediate and secondary schools in Auckland but, unless I could say I had a returning residents' visa, citizenship or a NZ passport, it had no bearing on being allowed to emigrate to New Zealand. :icon_sad:

I am pretty sure there is a 'box' on the application forms which asks whether one has lived in NZ in past, and when, but as far as I know there is no 'preference' to those who have lived here before. :icon_sad:

I do recall that if you arrived in NZ before 1974 you were given permanent residency with an indefinite returning residents visa, meaning you can return to live in NZ at any time. Not 100% on this point ... if you fall into this category, I'll see if I can find out more.

Perhaps if you let us know what line of employment you or your partner (if any) are in, someone here can let you know the best way of emigrating to NZ.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Default Growing up in NZ

Hi Glenda :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the info. I did think it may be a bit of a long shot, however I'm sure that we moved to NZ in 1973 so there's hope(??). I moved back to UK in 1985, so have been away for over 20 years.

The line of work I'm in is Supported Housing and I currently have about 3-4 years experience of managing a young families supported accommodation scheme and a large area of tenancy support for general needs tenants. Also have a background in working with young people leaving care and homelessness resettlement.

Having said all that I don't have a diploma or degree - I only have the qualifications that I left school with - it's all experience that I have without the academia :icon_sad: . I don't know if experience without qualifications is considered?

But if you could pass on anymore details about the pre '74 year I'd be very grateful.

Thanks Glenda,
    Interested

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Growing up in NZ

Don't think I have good news. :icon_sad:

I've found what I've read on www.immigration.govt.nz/nzis/operations_manual and it doesn't look as if it applies to you ... by two years. I don't have much info on work visas etc. (having come to NZ on a business one) so I hope someone else on this forum can help you. :icon_confused:

Here is the relevent NZIS passage which I have copied and pasted:-

RA10 Who is considered to hold a residence permit
    Immigration Act 1987 s 44
    Even though a person does not actually hold a permit, they are considered to hold a residence permit if they:
    a. arrived in New Zealand lawfully to take up permanent residence at any time before 2 April 1974 other than under a permit granted under the Immigration Act 1964 or any corresponding earlier Act; and
    b. have been in New Zealand continuously from 2 April 1974 and until at least 31 October 1987, apart from any period or periods spent in:
    i. Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau, or
    ii. Australia, if during any such period they were a Commonwealth citizen or citizen of the Republic of Ireland and were able to live in either New Zealand or Australia without restriction; and
    c. were in New Zealand immediately before the commencement of the Immigration Act 1987 (ie, were in New Zealand at midnight on 31 October 1987); and
    d. are not exempt under the Immigration Act 1987 from having to hold a residence permit.
    Note: If a person who meets these requirements requests confirmation of their residence status, an immigration officer must endorse their passport with a residence permit (see R7).
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Default Growing up in NZ

Hi Glenda :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for looking into this for me. It seems a bit of an obscure ruling so I really appreciate your delving. Shame about the timing - I'll have to put my philisophical head on to not get disappointed about the 2 years out... :icon_sad:

Much appreciated,
    'interested'

jadet is offline Junior Member

Default Growing up in NZ

Have you considered coming out on holiday and looking for work? It seems to me that you might have good luck as many others have. You even more, because you grew up there, I think people would find you a good candidate for a job.

Default Growing up in NZ

Hi Jadget :icon_biggrin:

Yer - I was thinking of testing the water first before going all out to emigrate. I've been especially pondering recently since I've regained contact with an old friend in NZ that I grew up with. A few loose ends in UK to tidy up first though. I'm exploring all options at the moment :icon_confused: ...