Thread: Arts and youth work in NZ

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Arts and youth work in NZ

Hi y'all, you seem like a friendly bunch and maybe one of you can help me out. My family and I wanna come and join you out there from UK but am I having a :icon_confused: problem trying to sort out work or what!! I am a freelance artist (performing arts) but I work with the youth service in the community and also in education. Does NZ do anything similar to this as all the info I can find seems to tell me that Youth Workers are Social workers and to work in schools I must be qualified teacher and NZ registered (whatever that is). Here in UK I work alongside education system and also local government, I am police checked etc and work with kids from all walks of life, young offenders, probation, at risk, disabled, learning difficulties, rural, inner city, drug/alcohol abusers etc etc surely this kind of experience is invaluable anywhere, I just can't seem to find a network that would channel it in NZ. Please, please help me out here!!!! Getting desperate, Dawney

jadet is offline Junior Member

I found this job:
    http://www.jobs.govt.nz/jobs/viewjob...tunityID=26030
    that seemed like the sort of thing you might be talking about, in Christchurch

This one looks like it might pay better:
    http://www.jobs.govt.nz/jobs/viewjob...tunityID=26315

There are lots with the govt posted at http://www.jobs.govt.nz

:icon_wink: Thank you jadet, great site, will spend hours trawling through it later today!!! At last, a light at the end of the tunnel :icon_biggrin:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Dawn, I don't know if this is of any interest to you. I haven't read through it, but it just reminded me of you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks MB, yeah, have already emailed them but they've ignored me! Got the impression from some other UK artists that posted on there that the native arts fraternity are a bit territorial about funding and opportunities. It's tough to get funding and projects off the ground here so if its anywhere near as difficult there I kind of understand but y know if we all pooled experience and creativity I reckon we'd more often than not improve who we are, what we can do and what we have to offer. Artists can sometimes be a bit insular especially if they're used to working alone (which is the nature of the work), but allowing other creative people in just broadens horizons it doesn't limit opportunities.

I'm hoping to get amongst it once we're there as it's going to prove very difficult from here methinks!

Thanks again