Thread: Newspapers

Julian is offline Member

Default Newspapers

I would like to know what is the best balanced daily newspaper in NZ and its comparison with UK papers?

Thank you.

Julian

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default Newspapers

First one that comes to my mind should be New Zealand Herald although I am not sure if it is available country wide. I read most New Zealand news on the NZ Herald online though since I am still in Singapore and getting the physical copy is not likely.

Most of my news postings are from NZ Herald and I think they provided unbiased news for NZ and world wide.

I know there are also other area specific papers with area specifc news. Someone on this forum will comment.

Pulsarvlu

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Newspapers

If you want to have a look at what the NZ Herald has to offer you can check it out here. If you just want to read the national news you can select it in the left hand column.

Apart from this, I don't know what, if any, other 'big' newspapers there are in NZ. I haven't come across them. No doubt there are lots of local papers though for individual areas.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Julian is offline Member

Default Newspapers

Thanks PULSARBLU and MB for quick response. I have briefly looked at the said paper and have added it to my favourites
    Cheers.

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Newspapers

Not sure if I agree that it's unbiased. Whenever I've read the New Zealand Herald it has always come across as quite right wing. This would make it equivalent to, say, the Daily Mail in the UK.

Tottefan.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Newspapers

I wouldn't know whether it's right or left wing, as I'm not well up on such matters. My point is that I don't know if there actually is another national newspaper in NZ other than the NZ Herald. I have a site on my favourites that gives links to newspapers around the world and if you scroll down to Australia and NZ that only shows the Herald, Otago Times and Wellington Dominion. Perhaps there are others not shown on there, but I haven't heard of them. You may not have the luxury of choice, Julian. It could be 'take it or leave it'. :-/
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default Newspapers

Sometimes I wonder if there are any other countries in the world beside NZ and perhaps Australia when I scan the news via the media here. I guess it follows that an island will be insular but big news here (headlines) is hardly news at all.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Newspapers

There really isn't the population here to have a choice of national newspaper. In fact, we only bother with a paper on Sunday and that is because we need the tv programme supplement, and it has become a new family tradition to do the big crossword.

I don't see the NZ Herald as anything like the Daily Mail ... I really think anyone would fall asleep reading the former, but want to emigrate after reading the latter.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Newspapers

I wouldn't know whether it's right or left wing, as I'm not well up on such matters
    Well, I guess there's only one Daily Mail - or Daily Bigot as I call it.

My point was that it definitely seems to be a bit biased. But then I guess there is no such thing as a newspaper that doesn't support a particular political party/favour left or right wing views.

Tottefan.