Thread: Why NZ for us?

flyboy is offline Junior Member

Default Why NZ for us?

Hi. My first post and one that will surely P*** people off, sorry. Without really giving it a huge amount of thought I have been going through selection for the RNZAF (NZ airforce). All has gone well and now's the time to ask the really quite important question, do we want to move to NZ?

Always fancied the idea, just need that reason to go. Problem is we currently live by the beach in a safe village, kids in excellent schools, OK jobs, all the things most people seem to go to find.

Please can someone tell me the magic ingredient to convert me from maybe to definatly.
    HELP

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Why NZ for us?

Well that's a bit of a question!

Mostly people want to move away as they are fed up with life where they are. You sound like you've got a pretty good life where you are at the moment, so I guess you need to know what's motivating you to want to move? Have you ever visited NZ? Is there something in particular that you really don't want to live with in the UK anymore?

New Zealand is a great place to live and bring up children, but from past experience of others who have made the move, even though they were perfectly happy at home, they tend not to last the course through homesickness and the like.

The bottom line is.. If you're going to do it, you've got to really want it.

Have a read around other posts about members who have made it. 99.9% of them love life here, so thats a pretty good argument for NZ :icon_biggrin:
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

jadet is offline Junior Member

Default Why NZ for us?

I agree with Taffy. You need to have something inside (other than just an interest) pushing you to go to a new place. There will be some tough times and that internal drive is what will keep you going. I've seen several people on another board return to the UK because they went on a surprise job offer, thought it sounded interesting, and found life was not as good as it was back home for them.

Remember you will be far from family, in a new place with no friends to start. There is a lot of downside to moving across the world. But there are rewards too.

Will you always say, I wish we'd gone to NZ? If not then I wouldn't bother.

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default Why NZ for us?

Many years ago I was a member of the british armed forces (army) and severely tempted by an offer of transfer to the RNZAF. I recall that my wife at the time was not keen. For my part I wasn't sufficiently fired up to take an attractive plunge into the unknown. 14 months ago I came to NZ and I absolutely love it.
    Would I have been happy moving back then? Who knows, but I have not lost anything by waiting until I had positive and compelling reasons to jump.
    I at least was already a serving soldier and the transfer would have been fairly straightforward - are you?[quote:6b514ef2dc]Hi. My first post and one that will surely P*** people off, sorry.[/quote:6b514ef2dc]
    On this forum no - on others perhaps

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Why NZ for us?

It?s no good immigrating to NZ ?just because it?s there? unless you deliberately plan to go with the intention of staying for only a limited time and then returning if you don?t like it. You would have a safety net to fall back on and wouldn?t feel so bad about giving up if it?s not for you. If you could be sure of a job to come back to and make provision for the eventuality that you may return, it would be like many other expats who go to work abroad and sample the life, but who then return to their base country when they?ve had enough. Unfortunately that kind of life could be disruptive to the children?s education, but other expat children seem to cope with it and often benefit from having experienced life in another country.

Your decision about whether to go could depend on several factors, like the ages of your children, whether you are able to afford to set up another home in NZ whilst still retaining a home in the UK (if you?ve bought, perhaps renting it out while you?re away), would you be able to resume your old job or one similar if you were to return etc. etc. In that way you would know that you could return if you wanted to and would have the best of both worlds, the chance to taste a new life in NZ and the opportunity to return home if you found it wasn?t for you. It would take the pressure off you so that you could go to NZ without feeling it has to be forever. If you found that you liked NZ enough to want to stay there, you could then sell up in the UK and tie up any loose ends.

If you?re curious enough to want to sample the delights of NZ, go, but make sure you have left enough behind you in case you need to return. At least you will have given it a go rather than saying later on ?I wonder what it would have been like?..?

I wish you luck with your decision. Not an easy one, I know.

[quote:464cc59e5f]On this forum no - on others perhaps[/quote:464cc59e5f]
    Daisyspop, nice sentiment. Glad that you feel that way. :icon_biggrin:
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

flyboy is offline Junior Member

Default Why NZ for us?

Wow, thanks very much. Exactly the type of answers/questions that I was hoping for. Jadet, thanks for what to me is the most important question, 'would I regret not trying?' Yes. I think the underlying reason for applying in the first place was to avoid me sitting here in 10 years saying "what if?"
    Daisyspop, not currently serving but recently left after 10 years RAF. RNZAF are headhunting fully qualified Ex or soon to be Ex RAF for specific posts so the move would be pretty straight forward.
    Mother Bear, Kids very used to change from growing up all over Europe and at about the best age to move one last time. We would not consider the move as a temporary trial one, all or nothing.
    Thanks once again and if someone can tell me how to attach a bit of your writing into my reply that would be a lot easier.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Why NZ for us?

[quote:62f6e6a502="flyboy"]......and if someone can tell me how to attach a bit of your writing into my reply that would be a lot easier.[/quote:62f6e6a502]

Just click on the 'quote' button at top right of the person's post that you want to quote. It'll take you into the message screen with that person's message already in there. Delete any bits you don't want to quote and then add your own comments, making sure they come outside the [/quote] brackets.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.