Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newzealand investing in people

johnty is offline Senior Member

Default newzealand investing in people

hi we are very green at this forum stuff,and also in the very early stages of the application process.we are considering using an agent to help us(find work ect) has any body heard of investing in people nz . :icon_confused: would love to hear from anyone who has had any dealings with them[/b]

moose is offline Senior Member

Hi Johnty

We looked at going with an agent but when we weighed up how much money they wanted off of us to do the self same thing as we would do, yeah possible quicker, but certainly a alot more costlier in the long run.

My Brother and his wife are looking at emigrating to Australia and chose to persue an agent long the investors route, but with a quite a few months down the line all they seem to be wanting to know how much they had which in turn ended up with them being told that they would have to use most of that to invest. I'm sure if he'd had taken my advice and stayed clear of the agent, then perhaps, if this was true then he would have found this out alot quicker.

Sorry i haven't really answered your question re investing in people but I hope this has been of some help for you to consider before paying out any money to an agent.

I'm not saying that the agent route is wrong but I personally feel if you can gain the knowledge yourself by doing the legwork then you can understand the process better and in my book that brings you one step nearer all the time.

You'll find this site a good place to begin and a great read

Cheers
    Anna

p.s Brother is now opting to go down work experience route as his trade as a floor layer is not a recognised trade in uk.
    And Yes I Have Got A terrible habit to ramble on so

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Johnty, good to have you on the forum.

Yes, as Moose says, the general opinion is that, if you can, avoid using agents and save yourself some money. They are very expensive for what you get back and most people on here have made or are making the move without their assistance. It seems a complicated process but, if you take it step by step and use the forum, either by reading or to help answer your questions, you should get through it OK.

If your job is on the skills shortages list, you already have a head start. Finding a job should be reasonably easy, even if you have to wait until you get to NZ to apply (as has been said before, NZ employers often prefer to take on someone who they?ve seen face to face and who?ve made the commitment to fly down to NZ). Have you decided which route you're taking with your application yet?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

:icon_biggrin:thank you for your replys,yes it would seem an expensive route to take,but we do wonder if in knowing i have a job to go to will make the rest of it a wee bit easyer(setteling the kids ect)the agents we were thinking of claim to get you a job, and to get you a change of job if required there fee is ?2250 paid in two parts the first payment of ?1250 to get you through the process,and the rest when you have been in employment for three months.there is alot to take in ,but this site is a very big help .we have thought about the move for long enouth so we are taking our first steps i know sparkys are on the skill shortages list so i am hope full of getting a job ,sorry going on a bit know ,thanks :icon_redface:

NickampJacky Guest

johnty

Your money is better og in your pocket mate!

I would advocate the do-it-yourself route for two reasons; 1. Its alot cheaper, other than the NZIS fees, medicals & police checks (which ahve to be paid for regardless) - it has cost us the grand total of ?6.95 special delivery postage for our ITA return & 99p for a pack of photo paper for the passport photos. And 2. There is so much to be learned about the place you are moving to if you do all the applications & rooting out information yourself- such as in this forum, I would think that if you got an agent to do it for you, then you are less in control of what is probably going to be the biggest transition in your life.

In my experience with help from other forumites & common sense (which I guess you must have being a sparky!) its not a difficult process.

As far as getting a job sorted out - if your skills are in demand you'll find one. try www.netcheck.co.nz , www.jobstuff.co.nz and www.seek.co.nz. These will give you a feel for whats about, and a few emails to the recruitment agencies looking for electricians should test the water for you.

Best of luck mate, its a journey worth doing - believe me!

Cheers

Nick

nick & jacky

thanks for your reply,i will give those sites a look,my partner is more infavor of the diy method,and i must say that finding help like this forum i am coming round.
    i guess since we made the decision to jump we just want to get there and fast.but yes the money would be better spent on getting the four of us + dogs out there
    cheers for now

NickampJacky Guest

Johnty

Do you know that it will probably cost more to get your two dogs out there than it will for the whole 2-legged family? I suppose you could entirely justify taking the diy route if it meant using the savings to pay for your dogs!

o yes the dogs are gona cost a bundle,getting feed back from ?650 to ?2000 ,but my kids would rather leave me behind, its giong to help them alot to settle.afraid the cat is going to the sister in laws though.
    the more info we are getting about the costs(med,police,pets ect ect)the agent road is looking less appealing as there fees dont cover any of this.they just offer help with the forms and the biggy, a job.
    cheers for now must crack on searching for info

NickampJacky Guest

Your better of talking to employment agencies, who will thow in a little assistance with your NZIS paperwork. Best of all their services are free! My wifes a student nurse & she just about has the agencies fighting over her! So if you get a couple of agencies trying to sign up the "exclusive rights" to get you a job (Tonix the healthcare agency do!), then ask them whats in it for you?

Hope this all helps you mate!

cheers

Nick

it looks like we are going to do the application ourselves, thanks to the good advice we are getting from this forum and people giving helpfull links.

many thanks nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast