Thread: WHV to PR or family sponsorship

aoteabride is offline Junior Member

Default WHV to PR or family sponsorship

Hello everybody :006:

Hopefully someone can enlighten me with some of their wisdom;

We are a newly married couple of 27 and 29, wishing to move to NZ, to join his parents and young brothers in NZ.
    They got in almost 3 years ago on a business visa, and have just been granted PR. We are looking at going to NZ in Sept/ Oct on a WHV, and then start the whole immi proces with a job there.
    My hubbie is in the IT, which helps, and I am a windowdresser. We already have done an assesment with a company, and they told us to start with the family sponsorship application from the day we get into NZ on the WHV . however the NZIS state on their website one can only apply for the family category if not able in the skilled migrants application.
    The company said it would depend on if his degrees and such were rocognized by the NZQA.
    How do we know this beforehand? He went to school in Zimbabwe.... but that doesnt say it won't be recognized.. With points he might have 115 ex joboffer, but is it worth it going through the whole process without knowing what recognition??

Its all so confusing, but we need to choose which visa before we go, because the family category can take up to 1 year....?
    And since we want to save as much money as we can, we rather do the whole process without an immigration company..

thanks in advance
    :icon_rolleyes:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: WHV to PR or family sponsorship

[quote:d51f0015bf="aoteabride"]We are a newly married couple of 27 and 28, wishing to move to NZ, to join his parents and young brothers in NZ.
    They got in almost 3 years ago on a business visa, and have just been granted PR.[/quote:d51f0015bf]

Welcome to the forum, Aoteabride :041: ,

If I can just concentrate on this one point (Family Category), as this is the route we're hoping to take, I believe you have to hold PR for 3 years before you can sponsor a family member. This would mean quite a wait until your in-laws are in a position to bring you in if they've only recently got PR. It will certainly help you having family already in NZ but, another point to consider is that you are newly married. NZIS will require evidence of your living together for at least 12 months prior to your application. They don't look on a marriage certificate alone as proof of a stable, long term relationship. If you have been living together before you were married this shouldn't be a problem.

I'll leave your hubbie's Zimbabwe degrees to someone who knows more about the subject. :icon_biggrin:
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

aoteabride is offline Junior Member

Thanks mother bear, although it might just help that we have been living together for over 7,5 years already ;-)

Thats one of the things we are not sure about, they are in the country for 3 years now, but have their PR since sept. Aren't sure about the 3 years PR tho.
    thanks for replying

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

[quote:8e95f13622="aoteabride"] Aren't sure about the 3 years PR tho.[/quote:8e95f13622]

Click on the link 'meet the requirements' on here and see if that answers your question.

There was talk of them considering reducing the waiting time to 3 years from [b:8e95f13622]entry[/b:8e95f13622] into NZ, but it's all gone very quiet again now, unfortunately.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.