Thread: The Interview

neild is offline Junior Member

Default The Interview

Hi everyone, we recieved out Invitation to apply for residence on 8th Dec, we have most of our documents together now but does anyone know how they determine whether you will need a phone or face to face interview and what kind of questions do they ask you? What kind of research would you advise beforehand?

Another question, we do not have a job offer in NZ, we have 110 points, is it likely we will still be granted permanent residence? What else could they offer you? and finally if you are granted PR how long does it last for? Do you have to go to NZ within a certain timeframe once you have been granted PR?

Can anyone shed any light? Has anyone been through a similar situation?

jemma :icon_wink:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default The Interview

Hi Neild (or Jemma :icon_biggrin: ), welcome to the forum.

Congrats for getting as far as the ITA. From what I?ve heard, the interviews are very laid back and mainly geared to assessing whether you are fully prepared for life in NZ. The questions would be more related to what research you?ve done about everyday things cost of housing, cost of living etc.)and what plans you?ve got for finding work and how you will support yourselves if you can?t find a job quickly. They need to make sure you know what you?re letting yourself in for. A lot of people seem to have phone interviews and some that have made the effort to take their paperwork into NZIS personally, have sometimes been granted a face to face interview, but I suspect this is more likely to happen if you?ve got a job offer on the go and they are anxious to speed things up to get you down there. I?ve also heard that, if you have a job offer, you don?t need an interview, but I?m not sure how true this is.

You can still get PR without a job offer although it can take quite a bit longer. Permanent Residency, I assume, is just that. After 5 years you can apply for NZ citizenship, but it?s not obligatory and some people never go down that route. Once you have PR you have 12 months to get there to activate it.

Hope all goes smoothly for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

neild is offline Junior Member

Default the interview

thanks for your advice, ill let you know on any progress we make, what stage are you at?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: the interview

.....what stage are you at?
    Ah? well?.. let?s just say I?m still waiting in the wings. ?Taffy, our beloved leader (and my son), has to wait 3 years from getting PR before he can sponsor us to live in NZ. ?To date, we have 2? years left. ?Unfortunately, it?s the only way we can get in now at our age i.e. under the Family Quota. ?Feel a bit like Cinderella with everyone else going to the ball this year and I can't go with them. ?Still, I've just had a holiday there, so mustn't complain ? :D .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.