Thread: Transporting a pet (It's not too bad)

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Transporting a pet (It's not too bad)

For those of you that have decided to bring your cat or dog to NZ, just thought i would let you know our lovely Lizzie arrived safe and sound on Saturday morning.Hope this encourages anyone about to do the same thing.

Although i'm sure the journey is not pleasant for them, and we couldn't get her out of the crate fast enough, she seems to have come through it really well. After just a couple of days she is back to her old self, playing with the kids etc. We have been seperated for 4 months so I was worried she would forget us. But as soon as they brought her through the doors, she went crazy and fussed the children and then us. It was lovey and very emotional.

She spent the first few hours looking at us all,as if to say "Where the bloody hell have you been". She ate like a horse and slept for a couple of hours. Then she was off, running around the garden playing with her new toys. It is lovely to have her back.

My mum is just a drained now as she organised it all for us and she sorted it out with my hubby., thanks mum and dad. They knew I would be a nervous wreck, so I actually didn't know she was coming until the day of her arrival. I'm a chicken, they told me sometime in Feb, liars. :icon_wink:
    We used Petair and I have to say, although not cheap, mum says they have been fantastic.
    I think my mum and dad are missing her now. You just can't win!

moggy is offline God like figure

gosh is it really 4 months that you have been there now?? How time flies. It hardly seems like yesterday that you were having kittens thinking that you had just told Ians boss all your plans :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

We were going to be taking our two cats, I had originally said we wouldn't, then I relented, now we have finally decided for various reasons that we can't take them, so the two fur babies are being rehomed - funnily enough to someone else you know, so at least we know they will have a good home.

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

Hi Saraian,

This is great news. Please if you don't mind me asking do yo know roughly how much it cot. We are thinking about bringing our two hairy hounds too. Also, you may not know as you only brought one over, do you pay a flat rate each or would two give you some sort of saving?

many thanks and glad to hear Lizzy is happy to be with you again.

Helen.

moggy is offline God like figure

with cats you get a cheaper rate per cat if you are shipping two, I guess probably it would be the same for dogs.

Moggy,

thats great thanks. I will have to investigate further. Did look a bit this time last year but then we put plans on hold. Time to start again me thinks.

Cheers, Helen.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the reassurance about pet shipping, Saraian. I suspect our cats' rabies vaccinations and serum tests will be all out of date by the time we're ready to go. What a pain when shipping from the mainland US.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

It cost, all told about ?1,500 with vets bills etc. So it is not a cheap but i'm sure if you are taking two dogs they won't double the amount.

I think you can shop around and get maybe 1 or 2 hundred pounds difference, but I would recommend Petair they have been great from start to finish.The team are all vets too so they know what they are on with when it comes to the tests. They also try to get them on the most direct route possible. I was so frightened about it all and th effects of the flight, but she is such a happy little thing and doesn't seem fazed at all so it's been worth it.

I will say though it is a personal choice, we never considered leaving her, but i wouldn't say other people should do it. Each pet and situation is different.

Hi Moggy who is it that we know that's having your cats? give us a pm.

Hi Sarain,

Thanks for the info.

I have heard that there can be limited places that you can take your dog is this the case? Is it just the big trails? Can you take the dog to the beach for example?

CCheers.

Hi
    When it comes to the day to day routine of walking your dog, there are lots of places. Many, many people have dogs around where we live. And Chch park is full of folks walking their dogs.

As for the beach between certain times in the day or seasons they are not permitted. But that's just the same as at home.

We haven't, as yet, felt restricted at all.