Thread: Supermarket

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default Supermarket

Hi,

Can someone provide some review of the following supermarkets in terms of pricing of goods, quality of goods and overall appearance?

Park N Save
    Woolworths
    Foodtown
    New World

Or maybe has some other names to recommend in certain city/area that you visit and really like the store...?

Thanks
    Pulsarblu

monkeyboy is offline Junior Member

Default Supermarket

hi mate
    dont know if you have done it yet but you can do a virtual shop at www.foodtown.co.nz it helps give a idea of prices
    but cant vouch for quality ect but good for working out a shopping budget
    hope this helps??

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Supermarket

[b:16808f0f48]Pak N Save[/b:16808f0f48] - CHEAPEST in NZ. Doesn't look all that great, but the food is cheaper.
    [b:16808f0f48]New World[/b:16808f0f48] - Same company as Pak N Save......and the most EXPENSIVE in NZ. Most upscale presentation, and usually in the upscale areas.

You won't find a Pak N Save in Remuera, but you will find a New World.
    You won't find a New World in Glen Innes, but you will find a Pak N Save.

[b:16808f0f48]Woolworths/Foodtown/Countdown[/b:16808f0f48] - They are the same company. Woolworths is a little nicer, and a little more expensive.
    [b:16808f0f48]
    Four Square[/b:16808f0f48] is a smaller one, usually more expensive. Generally in small towns or areas that don't have a larger supermarket.....I'm sure they are owned by one of the above ;-)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Oh, I was at the mall in Pakuranga and saw one of the UK shops. I was surprised to see a lot of American stuff there (but marketed for UK). "Nestle" Cocoa Pops are "General Mills" Cocoa Pops in the US. "Walkers" Potato Chips are "Lays" Potato Chips......of the Frito-Lay company.... which is owned by PepsiCo (who used to own Pizza Hut and KFC, but spun them off a few years ago. They are still "loyal" to Pepsi, look at their fountain drinks).

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Default Supermarket

James got it :)

The fact that they are all owned by each other and some are just expensive versions, means you really use the one that best suits your shopping needs. For example we use New World, as they have the coffee etc we like, but if we were into saving money we would get the bulk items from Pak N Save.

For people in christchurch, in the Tower Junction shops a new Rawards vegie shop has appeared. Its fantastic, and cheap, it also has cheap fresh fish. Got Cod caught from Akaroa that day, enough for 2 for $3.50. Live Crayfish as well.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Supermarket

Should perhaps mention that in Pak N Save you have to pay for your own carrier bags (or get an empty box), and pack them yourselves whereas in other supermarkets bags will be supplied and packed for you.

Also, it is very common here to make a particular point of buying the items on offer. There seems to be a rota system wherein, say, one brand of biscuits is on offer for a couple of weeks, then another and so forth. My fave brand of coffee was on offer yesterday - approx. $1.50 off the normal price. So I stocked up to the allowed limit.

In New World, they take 'Flybuys' a card system used in many different stores which tots up points and can be used for purchases, when you have enough of those points. Woolworths have their own card and a lot of their special offers are only for those who have the Woolworths card.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default Supermarket

wow! thanks a lot for the detailed information. My only experience was with Park N Save so thanks to all for sharing.

Stock up those stuff on offer!!
    [smilie=clapping.gif] SALE!! SALE!!

Default Supermarket

[quote:7697406104="Pulsarblu"]wow! thanks a lot for the detailed information. My only experience was with Park N Save so thanks to all for sharing.

Stock up those stuff on offer!!
    [smilie=clapping.gif] SALE!! SALE!![/quote:7697406104]

It's [b:7697406104]Pak[/b:7697406104] not Pa[b:7697406104]r[/b:7697406104]k ;-)

I've only been to Pak N Save in 2 areas, Chch and AKL. In Chch you don't pay for your bags. In AKL you do. ($.05 a bag I believe...you can also bring your own or put em in boxes that are sometimes available)

I don't know if it's a N. Island vs S. Island or AKL vs the rest of the country.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Supermarket

We also encountered Countdown - South Island only? The one we went into (Invercargill) had nicer produce than the several New Worlds (including Welly) we shopped at, and overall seemed a bit nicer. Not sure about price comparisons. Nothing stood out as vastly different.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Supermarket

We've been into New World (Hamilton) a few times, as it was local to Taffy's old house. It's the largest in New Zealand and shopping there is a very pleasant experience. We also went to Foodtown once, in a shopping mall and that wasn't quite as nice, but still OK. Undoubtedly the state of the supermarkets varies from town to town, some newer/bigger/glossier than others. There was always a sharp intake of breath as the checkout girl announced the damage as, even allowing for getting used to $s, prices weren't that cheap. It's a case of shopping around and comparing prices, which we didn't have time to do.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Supermarket

[quote:3f17eb34b5="selchie"]We also encountered Countdown - South Island only? The one we went into (Invercargill) had nicer produce than the several New Worlds (including Welly) we shopped at, and overall seemed a bit nicer. Not sure about price comparisons. Nothing stood out as vastly different.[/quote:3f17eb34b5]

Oops, I forgot about Countdown (went back and edited). Same company as Foodtown (and sound so familiar they mess me up). Countdown is in the North Island as well.