Thread: In your opinion...

mikesalmon is offline Junior Member

Default In your opinion...

Do you think it is easier/less stressful to "start a new life" in New Zealand being young and just out of college or coming over when you are married and have children? I am asking this because I am planning on coming to New Zealand from the US next year after I graduate. I always read about people having a hard time because they make a lot less money in NZ and it's hard to keep up with their old living standards. A recent graduate, though, really wouldn't be ass affected by this I would think. Also, most of the families who immigrate already have a decent sized savings account and are able to sell their house, thus having a lot more money when they arrive. A recent grad wouldn't definitely not have this ammount of money. I was just wondering what you all think about these scenarios. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Mike

jadet is offline Junior Member

We are headed over as a family. Sometimes I wish we had gone right out of school. I think that if you are up for an adventure, don't mind being far from family and have some skills that can get you a job in NZ you'll be in good shape. You can always go home and get a job in the US again. For us it will be harder to come back, the kids will be settled there and probably won't see the US as home. That's why we are going now, before they are school age (and can't protest very much).

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Most people who decide to migrate to NZ are not for the $$. I totally agreed with you that moving to NZ required 'startup' savings.

When we decide to set roots in NZ, we are discarding the 'old lifestyle' and look forward to a different enriching lifestyle based on great outdoors (free mostly), great surroundings, friendly people and generally a greener and healthier life. Making enough to survive and save is actually sufficient for most people and me too.

You cannot measure the benefits of moving to NZ monetarily. It is actually closer to the heart... :049:

pulsarblu

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Re: In your opinion...

[quote:8581043a7f="mikesalmon"]Do you think it is easier/less stressful to "start a new life" in New Zealand being young and just out of college or coming over when you are married and have children? I am asking this because I am planning on coming to New Zealand from the US next year after I graduate. I always read about people having a hard time because they make a lot less money in NZ and it's hard to keep up with their old living standards. A recent graduate, though, really wouldn't be ass affected by this I would think. Also, most of the families who immigrate already have a decent sized savings account and are able to sell their house, thus having a lot more money when they arrive. A recent grad wouldn't definitely not have this ammount of money. I was just wondering what you all think about these scenarios. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Mike[/quote:8581043a7f]

I think it's easier young.

That's why I did it. Not tied down to a mortgage, "ball and chain" ;-), career, etc.

Most Kiwis go on what's called an "OE" or Overseas Experience after graduating from University.....and this is exactly what you will be doing. (assuming it's a temporary move....at least to start with, you could very well decide to stay). They go for 2-4 years to another country to "expand their horizons" or whatever you want to call it.

20% of NZ'ers live overseas. (1 million out of the country, 4 million in). Only 2% of Americans do, so you can see why we don't exactly have a term for it....and most people don't even consider it. Where as most Kiwis go well beyond "considering" it.

If I do go back to the US and start a family, I fully intend on moving back to NZ when my kids reach school age.

Being that I've already done it when younger, it shouldn't be too bad when I'm older.

Hope this helped you man.

Oh, most of the time I answer "NOW!!" is the best time. If somehow time were warped and "now" you had kids and family, and in the future you were young and single......it would be better to go young and single. I'm not completely slanted in saying "go now!" :icon_wink:

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

A lot of young Kiwis do their 'overseas experience' abroad, not just to see the world but also to earn as much money as they can before going back to NZ. Bearing this in mind, and presuming the wages are better in the US than NZ, I would do the same - get those $$$ before heading to NZ unless you can be sure of securing a good well paid job here.

I would say, presuming you have those important $$$ and a well-paid job, the best time to move to NZ is with small kids - it is a great country for kids, they will settle down within days and are a good reason to persevere with any difficulties with culture-shock or settling down yourself.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I was ready to say "go now", but realized that if you have student loans to pay off, you'll probably have more trouble doing that in NZ. Although in some ways I wish I had known I wanted to move to NZ much younger (e.g. fresh out of uni), I am currently in a good financial position to do so. Fortunately I haven't forgotten how to pinch a penny, so hopefully I'll do OK with lowered income expectations. So with all that in mind, my advice is to go when you can.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Surely it's best to start a family in NZ. It's great to have some money to arrive in NZ with but the Ball and Chain efffect of the House has be the SINGLE most stressful thing about our intention. Everything else is ready but if you own a house in a stagnant market we may never get there. :icon_sad:

Do it now it's easier to eat beans on toast as a young graduate than a family of 4.