Thread: Hazardous road

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default Hazardous road

I am particularly concerned with the high number of car accidents recently. Causes of these accidents are mainly speed related as reported. Another three people died just today in Temuka.

I remembered driving in NZ and being extra careful about speed and distance and I keep a safe distance from the next vehicle but sometimes the fault are not we.

What about the rest, what are your thoughts on this?

pulsarblu

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Hazardous road

I think the more stupid people of the road the better, even if it means they're dead!!! They'll always be speed until all cars are computer controlled by the government. All the Road Safety people can do is indicate potential hazards clearly, which I understand is not the case in NZ.

If there's anything that caused crashes it's adverse cambers of sharpening bends without chevrons or signs saying, education is everything and I don't mean 'driving fast is dangerous education'.

Having said all that, as I started, they'll always be muppets who drive too fast for the road conditions, thinking they're invincible, I'm probably one of them :icon_sad:

moggy is offline God like figure

Default Hazardous road

I honestly thought that the standard of driving was a lot better and a lot safer when we were in NZ. No road rage or anything.

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default Hazardous road

I fully agreed with Moggy, I feel safer than driving in Singapore and US. News like these are probably just isolated cases and it is good that they get the attention then others will take action to make the roads even safer.

pulsarblu

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default Hazardous road

My father never gave me much advice but I well remember him telling me "All the drivers out there are idiots, always remember that you are the biggest one." I can't say that it saved me from all situations but it's not a bad philosophyfor driving anywhere.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Hazardous road

I found that on the narrow & windy NZ roads, many folks drove far too fast. It seemed as though they were trying to drive 100 kph, even though conditions were better suited for 75. We nearly got smeared by a petrol tanker that was coming around a blind corner halfway in our lane. It didn't help that most of those roads had no shoulder, poor banking and posted limits of 100 kph.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Default Hazardous road

You are entirely right about drivers in NZ.

One problem has ben the increasing speed and ability of cars is not matched by the roads that they are on that were designed for cars of a much slower age.

However our small population makes it difficult to maintain and upgrade all the roads in NZ. Look at the brazillion KM's of roads in the South Island with only 800,000 people to pay taxes for.

The worst thing I saw recently was a car with a boat, overtaking another car on an incline to a corner. Crazy stuff by utter morons.

I just cycled from Christchurch to Nelson and down to kaikoura, (800km) over Christmas, and the best drivers on the roads were the tanker drivers followed by the huge trucks.

Those professionals know what they are doing. we had one truck that just followed us over a bridge as it didn't want to pass us on the bridge.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Hazardous road

Actually, I thought the road quality on the SI was great, unlike those in California. Even our major highways get nasty potholes because of the weather and poor road construction. Gotta get a lunar rover for some roads!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s