Thread: Foods of new Zealand

jrbritt1 is offline Junior Member

Default Foods of new Zealand

I am trying to find some "traditional" New Zealand foods to introduce to some American Girl Scouts (ages 8 to 10). I haven't had much luck researching this -- so I am hoping you can help.

Are there some traditional foods? Or food that are often eaten by school children in new Zealand? Especially if they are different than those eatn by American children?

Thank you,
    Judy in South Carolina (USA)

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Hi Judy.

The problem with traditional food is that being such a young country we just take other cultures food and modify it.

Of course there are the Maori foods, (like KFC) but they are not in everyday use, except among some Maori of course.

Heres a link... http://www.maorifood.com/

Generally meat pies are traditionally popular, and from extensive personal experience very good, they make energy packed lunches and are popular.

Vegemite is also an awesomely nutritiious food, used in sandwiches and also on toast with grilled cheese on top. Vegemite and honey is also nice.

From 2nd hand comments it seems that kiwis eat more vegies and less meat than Americans as well, but the same multinationals have infected our society in terms of convenience food as in America.

Hot chips, potatoe slices cooked in oil are also "traditional" and still popular. Afterall they provide the most cheapest food source out there. "Fish and chips" are also a staple in some places.

Otherwise i can't think of anything unique. Maybe Roast lamb or mutton as a meal with roast vegetables?

jadet is offline Junior Member

I tried pavlova (a dessert) for the first time in NZ, and I was told it's a traditional dish.

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Good!
    I had forgotten about that it was created for the arrival of a Russian princess

Typically the australians claim it as they do for everything else successful...

http://www.nz.com/new-zealand/guide-...iginofpav.aspx

It would be good for students to try, but it certinaly is not a daily or even monthy food. You only see it eaten at celebrataions and parties like christmas and birthdays

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

[quote:ef0f890a77="netchicken"]Maybe Roast lamb or mutton as a meal with roast vegetables?[/quote:ef0f890a77]

MMMMmmmm....I missed those roasts which are so delicious and affordable although I don't know if they are NZ traditional food. But what the heck, they making me drool... :118: