Thread: Oh no, changes to work permit!!!

Kara is offline Junior Member

Default Oh no, changes to work permit!!!

Now our fear has grown, just read that changes have been made to the work to residence permit period, from 2 years to 6 months, does anyone know anything about this?

Are we able to get PR whilst in NZ? Should we get on to this right away? We were thinking of travelling for a few weeks but now we think we should get on with the visas and get PR asap as we don't want to be booted out of NZ in 6 months, oh dear the fear is taking over now!

We thought we would have 2 years to sort everything, when we left the UK it was 2 years, now the goal posts have been moved and we are paniking.....

Any advice gratefully received, thanks

Kara and Sarah

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Hi Kara and Sarah,

Yes, the policy changed on 21 dec last year. The WTR permit was indeed reduced from 2 years to 6 months. initially you have 2 years to find a skilled job and remain in that job for at least 3 months to qualify for the PR status. Now as you mentioned, it has reduced to 6 months to find the skilled job which I understand in your case can be really difficult but according to NZIS you can still extend the WTR permit for another three months. Have you already submitted your EOI Kara and Sarah?

If you have submitted before Dec 05 and got selected before Dec 21 last year, you will have 2 years WTR if NZIS grant you one. If you are selected after Dec 21 (No selections this year yet..), you will get 6 months WTR if you cannot secure the PR.

My advise is to seek that skilled job as hard as you can, since you are already there, the chance to get a job interview is much higher than off shore applicants. Yes, I understand it can be tough. To make the savings last longer, maybe you can try part timing. Staying at a hotel can also drain savings fast so perhaps renting a simple apartment for 150-200 per week is another good option.

I wish you all the best in your search.

I have included detailed statements from NZIS regarding the WTR changes.

[b:fc73acae18]SM 20.15 Grant of residence following deferral[/b:fc73acae18]
    These provisions have been amended to reduce the work-to-residence deferral period for SMC applicants from two years to six months for applications lodged under SMC policy on or after 21 December 2005. Such applicants may be approved for residence under SMC policy at such time as they have become established in ongoing skilled employment for a period of at least three months during the six month deferral period.

Policy has also been amended to allow for the grant of a further work permit for a maximum additional period of three months, where the principal applicant has an offer of skilled employment but requires a further work permit to meet this three month requirement.

paulking is offline Junior Member

Default did you submit ITA before 21st December?

We too were a bit worried by this, but the new riles and time limites only apply to those whom submitted ITA after 21st Dec 2005. If you did, then you're grand, if not, I guess it's the new rules?

PK

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

That is correct PaulKing.