Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any help and advice to take the fear away?

Kara is offline Junior Member

Default Any help and advice to take the fear away?

Hello and Happy New Year to you all x

Well we are here in Auckland, arrived yesterday and to be honest we woke up this morning feeling the fear! What are we doing????

We know it will all be ok it's just we have no idea on where to start! We have come over on visitors visas from UK, sold everything we own and want to start a new life here in NZ.

If anyone would like to point us in the right direction we would be grateful. We are staying at a hotel for now, whilst we try and work out what we are doing. Do we get a house first or a job? Do we travel or settle? How long will it take us to get visas sorted to stay? Oh lordy we are in a muddle! Happy to be here though just a bit dazed and confused and in need of a friendly face and some info........

We are going to get mobiles in a mo so will be able to post that on here, and of course will get to an internet cafe to check for any messages...

Thanking you fort any help you can give

Kara and Sarah

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

I forgot to wish you Happy New Year in my previous post to you both. So Happy New Year to you!!

I would say do many things in parallel, getting the job and at the same time looking for the lodging.

I would suggest that you go to the nearest NZIS branch at the same and speak to the staff there on getting the visas.

Time is not a luxury for you so doing multiple things at the same time will be beneficial but that's my view only.

You would also want to look at getting a reliable cheap used car to get around with so many things to settle. The car will also come useful for communting to work and ferrying stuff and kids (sorry, not sure if you have any..but thought having a car will be useful in this aspect). With that car, you can do some bit of travel in this beautiful country which is probably one of the main reasons for coming anyway.

You would also need to open a bank account since you do not want to carry thick wands of cash in your pockets right?

Pulsarblu

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Kara and Sarah,

I would like to add that if you have not decide which city to settle in do not rent that house or apartment just yet. My point is, get a taste of what each different city can offer and choose from there. That's when the car comes in useful.

pulsarblu

NickampJacky Guest

Many Congrats for starting the new year in NZ, your timing is perfect!

My advice would be travel around, see loads of places, meet loads of people, make loads of new friends....find your feet (even if they are paddling shoe-less in the warm sea on a deserted beach).

I would also agree with Pulsar that many tasks, by denifition, can or even have to be done simultaneously...like finding a place to live when you have a sniff of a job etc. But like here in the UK its location, location, location that will probably be your prime mover.

My sister in law made the mistake of travelling as far as Tokoroa (south of Hamilton) from Auckland & buying a house within 2 weeks. It was great until the novelty wore off & they realised that the peace and tranquility soon translated into boredom & monotony because there wasnt a great deal to do locally without a 1 hr journey (explains why the got a 4 bed house for $65k).

Buy a car.....throw in the suitcases.....and see whats on the otherside of the hill.......you will probably be surprised

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default at least your there!

Hi Sarah and Kara

Congrats on making the brave move- we are both jealous and cant wait until we do the same as you in september!
    Just got to sell our house and then we'l land looking for jobs or set up our own business in the South Island.

Enjoy

Mark AND Chris :icon_biggrin:

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi Guys Happy New Year and well done!

Myself my hubby and our three children came to NZ, on a vistors, on the 1st September last year, it has been a rollercoster of emotions since. I wouldn't change a thing, what an experience.

We landed in Auckland and toured the North and South Islands, it really depends where you want to live. We fell in love with the South and decided to settle in a suberb near CHCH. We found a rental first all the while keeping an eye out for any jobs advertised.

I have to say there have been times when we panicked, on a visitors you are on a time limit. But Ian now has a job and a work permit and we are in process of the medicals ready to send off our PR application. It all has gone so fast that it is hard to take in. At the time though you think everything is so slow. Just try to remain positive, (easier said than done, i'm rubbish at it). I'm sure it will all work out. Enjoy and welcome to New Zealand :icon_cool:

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default cant wait

we are just coming out on spec when we arrive in September and are looking to settle and get jobs in the south island once we arrive in Christchurch.
    At the moment though it seems so difficult as to get jobs whilst not there unless in the skilled list looks tough.
    So, did you just arrive on a visitors visa on the basis of getting work>
    mark :icon_confused:

justNoZi is offline Member

i'm feeling the fear just now - just getting my ITA documents together but plan to move out some time soon if i get the green light. fingers crossed,

i am aprehensive tho' - not about NZ but because i'm going to be going on my own. no job, no home, no friends it does seem daunting but it is a dream of mine and i'm excited too. makes sense eh :icon_biggrin:

anyways, this site is great for help and support and motivation. i'll be reading lots over next few weeks and looking for inspiration.

good luck to you 2 in the house, job, travel, locations, settling.....questions. hope it all works out as great as you expect.

and thanks everyone for the inspiration and advice ive read on these forums for past couple of months.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

sorry if you've posted the answer to this somewhere else justNoZi, but just wondered where in NZ you're heading......

justNoZi is offline Member

hi Welshgirl,

ive just registered in last couple of days so havent posted many times. mainly been reading and enjoying the good chat between you all over last few months.

and finally to answer your question :icon_biggrin: i hope to locate in Wellington, heard it is good for IT related jobs so looking there in first instance but iafter reading some advice in other posts i think i'll holiday/travel for a few weeks ( money permitting ) and then finally decide.

Soo would you recommend Wellington? dont put me off please, think i'm set on that :icon_wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast