Thread: Cheap Landrover Discovery?

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Default Cheap Landrover Discovery?

I was perusing the paper this morning and found this Landrover discovery at what I consider a rediculously cheap price considering its coming from a dealer and their markup...

http://www.donnithornesimms.co.nz/po...12&q=14674

Although on the site it says $12,990, the same car in the Christchurch Press is advertised at $9,990 (you can tell its the smae car as the ID is the same - 14674

Someone once asked about disco prices in NZ. and this to me is a sign of the bottom falling out of the SUV market.

[img:66ad2c1d0c]http://www.autobuy.co.nz/dealers/732/car/273270_medium_top.jpg[/img:66ad2c1d0c]

[/img]

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Hmmmm not too convinced myself. At 9k I'd be impressed but 13k for an 11 year old disco, I'm not too convinced. Looks minted tho and mileage is attractive. Don't forget Diesel tax tho (unless I missed the bit about fuel type on the ad) The Dealer will just be getting shot of a Part Ex on that I would reckon so bargains are to be expected with this type and age of car.

Just my opinion from the UK markets perspective. I'm quite confised about the NZ market.

NickampJacky Guest

Although its a main dealer, its a mitsubishi dealer, so for me that wouldnt cut much mustard - price wise it seems middle of the road. My boss here in the uk has had disco's since they were brought out here & never had any bother with them mind you hes had diesels & not petrols. I would think they will be very thirsty ( +/- 15mpg perhaps)

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Actually I am also thinking what type of vehicle to get when I am in NZ. I know I will be getting a sedan, but unsure what make to settle for. I guess from previous experience and talking to subject experts, toyota or subaru come out tops.

Both makes are also abundant in NZ (Used)... :icon_biggrin:

Pulsarblu

NickampJacky Guest

Have a look at www.autobase.co.nz and www.autotrader.co.nz for some leads. Toyotas are ten-a-penny, along with all the jap manufacturers.

I would think that seeing whats available when you get there will perhaps be best.

Nick

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Considering that the average 1994/5 car appears to cost around $5000 it seems a reasonable deal to me. To those of you considering Subarus you should take into consideration that they are a quantum leap ahead of other vehicles on the stolen list according to recent crime figures.

netchicken is offline Senior Member

I have a subaru legacy.

They are so common in Christchurch that I often see cars of exactly the color and model as mine.

We bought it as we wanted a 4 wheel drive wagon for tramping and carrying bikes. It was a toss up between that and a Toyota carib.

The legacy is a great car if a little thirsty, but it runs like a fine watch, everything is totally electronic and when it breaks is expensive to repair, unlike the bullet proof but basic toyotas.

Our one had height adjustment, press a button and a donut shaped ruber ring in the suspension strut inflated lifting the car an extra 4 inches above the ground. Avoid them like the plague. The rubber donuts break - they get unrepairable holes. - and it cost us $1000 to replace them with ordinary shocks.

[b:84de04b74a]Migrants used to other motorist's insults
    [/b:84de04b74a]
    By Jarrod Booker

Jessie Lin has been in New Zealand for only five months, but is already well-acquainted with Kiwi attitudes to Asian drivers.

She finds it easier driving in the lower volumes of traffic here than at home in Taiwan, but admits she struggles with driving on a different side of the road and is confused by roundabouts and some road signs.

"At roundabouts I wait longer, because I'm not sure which way. I think maybe two or three seconds. The car behind [toots] its horn," she says.

She has also become used to abuse. In one case rubbish was hurled at a car she was a passenger in. "I don't understand why. I think maybe because I drive too slow. I am driving carefully," she says.

Korean student Wooha Baek owns a Nissan Bluebird and learned to drive in New Zealand.

He finds it "pretty easy" compared with the fast-paced, inner-city streets of Seoul.

"New Zealand people are very slow."

Candy Park, who arrived from Korea 18 months ago, says she has had several arguments with motorists who tell her to go back to her own country.

She says that even though she has done nothing wrong, they threaten to call police.

"I say, 'You call police'. I never make mistakes. Why do they always complain?"

Bo Kim, who arrived from Japan five years ago, also finds driving in New Zealand a breeze compared with the busy streets in his home country.

But he does admit to having driven the wrong way up a one-way Christchurch street.

"I didn't know about Christchurch at night-time.

"In Japan the signs light up at night-time. In New Zealand they don't light up."

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

hehe will this be you Pulsar?

Unless you drive Pulsar GTR in which case you'll fit in juust fine I should imagine :icon_lol:

Nobody gets close enough to me to insult me. Unless it's a breakdown truck or someone to tow me out of the hedge I just replanted.

haha! actually nissan cars are not for me, too under powered, well only skyline is a bull on steriods.

pulsarblu