Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad weather in the making?

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default Bad weather in the making?

[color=green:4535e80c7a]I guess this type of weather is normal during this time of the year..[/color:4535e80c7a]

[b:4535e80c7a][color=red:4535e80c7a]Quake hits eastern Bay of Plenty
    02 January 2006 [/color:4535e80c7a][/b:4535e80c7a]

An earthquake measuring 5.4 on the Richter Scale hit the Bay of Plenty today.

The quake, centred about 100km out to sea from Te Kaha in the eastern Bay of Plenty and at a depth of 120km, hit at 10.56am, the website of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences said.

The quake may have been felt on the Raukumara Peninsula, the website said.

[b:4535e80c7a][color=red:4535e80c7a]Storms wreak havoc across country
    02 January 2006 [/color:4535e80c7a][/b:4535e80c7a]
    Severe gale-force winds lashed many parts of the country today - lifting roofs, cutting power, sparking fires and forcing flight cancellations.

The lower North Island bore the brunt of the northwest blast, while high winds in Canterbury felled power lines, sparking several grass and scrub fires.

Parts of Southland, Otago and Stewart Island were also battered by strong winds.

In Wellington the winds reached hurricane force, with the MetService's suburban Kelburn weather station recording gusts of 160kmh.

Fire Service spokesman Dave Meikle told NZPA that at its peak, around 11am, the winds stretched the Wellington region's firefighting resources.

Staff attended about 140 weather-related callouts in the lower North Island, mainly in Wellington and the Hutt Valley.

Most were for lifting roofs, trees fallen on houses or roads and felled power lines. Most of the calls were before midday, with the wind easing after that.

Firefighters were also called to similar incidents in Feilding and the Manawatu, he said.

The severe winds forced the cancellation of about a dozen flights into Wellington Airport. About a score more had to be either delayed or rescheduled.

Winds at the airport reached 113kmh at their peak.

A police spokesman said despite the high winds across the lower North Island there had been no serious accidents so far.

But power lines company United Networks reported fallen lines had knocked out power to some customers from Wellington, the Hutt Valley and in the Manawatu, Rangitikei, Tararua and South Taranaki districts.

The highest wind gust in the lower North Island - 165kmh - was recorded at Wellington's Mt Kau Kau.

Meanwhile the winds knocked out power to about 2000 Canterbury houses today - felling power lines and causing others to arc together, sparking grass and scrub fires.

Power company Orion's Christchurch control centre manager Colin Wright told NZPA the hot gusty winds caused power blackouts in the Canterbury towns of Brookside, Bankside and Motukarara and at Teddington and Diamond Harbour on Banks Peninsula.

Calls started coming in when the wind strength increased about 1pm, whipping tree branches into the power lines, Mr Wright said. "We're having a busy day."

Orion had called in about six repair crews, which were working their way through a list of faults. About 12 incidents had been reported since 1pm, Mr Wright said.

Some 2000 customers in Motukarara, Teddington and Bankside were still without power late this afternoon.

"We certainly hope to have it cleared up today," Mr Wright said.

Calls had tailed off since about 2.50pm, he added.

The high winds and temperatures also kept firefighters busy.

Firefighters were battling a major fire this afternoon at Adams Sawmilling in the Mid-Canterbury town of Fairton.

Ashburton fire crews were called out to two grass fires on the southeastern side of the town, while firefighters were called to a 1km by 300m scrub fire in Woodend, about 40km north of Christchurch, caused by two power lines brought down by the wind.

Firefighters were also battling a large scrub fire near the Bottle Lake Forestry Park at the northern end of Waimairi Beach on the outskirts of Christchurch.

The gales also caused trouble for campers in many parts of the country.

Popular Wairarapa camping spot Castlepoint was one of those buffeted, forcing some holiday makers to take down their tents.

Castlepoint Holiday Park manager Pauline Holland told NZPA a few people were packing up and going home but she hoped others might come in and take their spot.

The wind was also making the beach a no-go area with sand whipping up, she said.

"It's been really, really awful - really uncomfortable."

Ms Holland hoped the wind was an aberration as there had been many lovely days recently.

But MetService forecaster Jasmine Kennedy said that was unlikely.

Although the high winds would drop throughout the day, they would pick up again to gale level across much of the country tomorrow afternoon and the weather could remain windy for several days.

Ms Kennedy said Southland and Central Otago also received a battering today, with wind gusts of 159kmh recorded at Southwest Cape on Stewart Island and 179kmh at Central Otago's Mid Dome.

South Island police and firefighters said they had also handled a handful of callouts, mostly to lifting roofs and fallen power lines in Invercargill and Dunedin.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It'd better clear away before we get there. Got us a BBQ to go to on Saturday. At least you can't say the weather in NZ is boring.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Not a problem if Insurance companies pay out to the damaged home's owners.

That's the worse thing about the weather here, it's dull, lots of drizzle no drama. I can cope with Rain if it's full on monsoon and I LOVE a good thunderstorm as long as I'm inside or in the car. When I live in Cornwall I would often spend the night on the pier if thunderstorms were forecasts, it's easily the most magical experience I've ever had. Complete invasion of the senses keeewl.

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

[quote:1cac3e6388] I LOVE a good thunderstorm [/quote:1cac3e6388]

Funny you should say that - the rain seems somehow different here - less miserable. I know it sounds silly but I find that I am not bothered by it here. It tends to bucket down, often during the night, but always dries up rapidly in the inevitable sunshine that follows.

stevejan is offline Member

I have become a bit nervous after reading the posting about the earthquake in Bay of Plenty as we are due to arrive there at the beginning of February :icon_frown: How bad is a 5.4 earthquake and do they occur regularly in that area? I was really looking forward to being in this area as it sounds so beautiful and we have heard good reports up to now.
    Some reassurance would be great anyone.

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Hi Stevejan,

Although I am not in NZ yet but I have read some postings on this forum, normally the shakes are usually mild and tremors are usually felt and nothing major. Anyone, re-assurance please. Also through news reports, the shakes are usually minor with no damage except falling stuffs from the shelves sometimes so do not worry too much.

However, it is good to prepare for the worst and preparation is the key.

Pulsarblu..

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

SteveJan

They had 2 of that scale closer to the surface in wellington the other day. No damage was caused, just a few things like pulsarblu says falling of shelves. I also was shocked when I saw 5.4 richter scale measurement but when you read how deep under the dround it is you start to breathe easy a bit (me anyway).

It's really different to good old safe UK of course and my Wife has similar concerns but I would say the threat of criminal damage/attack or even a road accident would be greater than the threat posed by earthquake damage.

Just make sure when you settle all the T's and I's are crossed and dotted regarding natural damage and building insurance.

stevejan is offline Member

Thanks guys.
    Having not experienced earthquakes here, just the word EARTHQUAKE does make one nervous. But like you say you have to put things in perspective. I think I worry more because we will have our two boys aged 8 and 10 yrs with us and we don't want to expose them to danger (that's why we are leaving the uk by the way!). We are hoping nz is generally a safer, cleaner and brighter place for them to grow up.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Think of all the bad earthquakes you've seen on TV and read about in the papers. How many of them have been in NZ? That's something to take into account. :icon_biggrin:
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I have lived in California all my life, and it is about as seismically active as NZ. Generally a 5.4 quake isn't nasty. That said, the only quake that has ever scared me was about that magnitude. The epicenter was only about 15 miles away, the jolt was very sudden, and it woke me up out of a dead sleep. Even so, we only lost one wine glass that fell out of the cabinet, and local damage was minimal.

I have felt stronger and more damaging quakes, but was too far away to experience the bad stuff. Generally I enjoy earthquakes, though after the scary one I mentioned, I am a bit more cautious when I feel one roll in. Most are over before I realize what they are. My washing machine can shake the house more.

Just learn what to do in the event of a quake, perhaps get an emergency kit set up in case of a big one that knocks out services, and try not to worry. (The kit can be useful for other emergencies, like storms). There are worse things to worry about, like distracted drivers.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast