Thread: Corruption Perceptions Index

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Corruption Perceptions Index

The 2005 Corruption Perceptions Index:
    http://ww1.transparency.org/cpi/2005...ources.en.html

I ran across this in 2003 in my international business class. Just found it a few days ago again.....

#1 is the least corrupt per various indexes, and #158 is the most corrupt.

Top 25
    1 Iceland
    2 New Zealand (is this a surprise?)
    2 Finland
    4 Denmark
    5 Singapore (now, that is a surprise. Maybe I was biased, I am definitely curious about their government now)
    6 Sweden
    7 Switzerland
    8 Norway
    9 Australia
    10 Austria
    11 Netherlands
    11 UK
    13 Luxembourg
    14 Canada
    15 Hong Kong
    16 Germany
    17 USA
    18 France
    19 Belgium
    19 Ireland
    21 Chile
    21 Japan
    23 Spain
    24 Barbados
    25 Malta

Notables:
    130 PNG
    137 Iraq
    137 Ethiopia
    144 Somalia
    152 Nigeria
    155 Haiti (no surprise)
    158 Bangladesh
    158 Chad

For the rest, you'll have to click the link. Here they are by year:
    2005 - http://ww1.transparency.org/cpi/2005...ources.en.html
    2004 - http://ww1.transparency.org/pressrel...20.cpi.en.html
    2003 - http://ww1.transparency.org/pressrel...07.cpi.en.html
    2002 - http://ww1.transparency.org/pressrel...28.cpi.en.html
    2001 - http://ww1.transparency.org/cpi/2001/cpi2001.html

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

So that's just the perception of corruption, not actual incidences, correct? I'm glad NZ's reputation matches my own perception. Hopefully reality does, too.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I'm sure corruption accounts for a lot more than half of the woes of the world today. Funny how so many corrupt people attain power but, I suppose, that's the name of the game.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Yep, not very many Mr. Smiths are in Washington or any other capital for that matter. Call me a dreamer, but I still have faith that there are more than the average in NZ.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Updated with a map of the CPI.

Taken from Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_o..._of_corruption

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Not a surprise for many countries. How much transparency (release of country data) and communication, good communication not propoganda is important.

netchicken is offline Senior Member

yeah, yeah, what people don't know is how much the researchers were paid to produce those results by NZ :)

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Netchicken, I'll give you $500 to change your opinion of NZ!

Oops, did I say that in public?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

yeah, yeah, what people don't know is how much the researchers were paid to produce those results by NZ
    Free tickets to a sheep shearing competition? ;)

A honeymoon at the "honeycomb"? :o

Well, this is a pretty accepted study. I doubt (if they are against corruption) they'd be wanting kick backs from various governments.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Corruption Perceptions Index

NZ scores top mark in corruption survey
    08 November 2006
    By PETER LUKE

New Zealand is perceived to have one of the three least-corrupt public sectors in the world, according to a new study. The German-based Transparency International has released its annual "corruption perceptions index" based on expert opinion surveys in the 163 nations covered.

Transparency International describes itself as the global coalition against corruption and has 100 chapters around the world.

New Zealand, Finland and Iceland all recorded the highest score of 9.6 out of 10 in the latest index. This was the same score for New Zealand as last year, although on that occasion it was ranked second, marginally behind Iceland.

The high position on the index is despite the range of controversies, including most recently over election spending, which might have been expected to dent public confidence in politicians.

But the executive officer of the New Zealand chapter of Transparency International, Shane Cave, said that a single recent event, such as the Auditor-General's campaign-spending report, would have little impact.

This was due to the methodology of the index which is based on a number of surveys going back several years. But Transparency International has warned that the recent election-spending row could affect New Zealand's reputation for a clean public sector in the longer term.

This was because politicians who made the law, broke it, then exonerated themselves through retrospective validation legislation. As a result "you are liable to have people holding the law in less respect", said Cave. For this reason his group has called for an independent body to review electoral-spending laws.

The index also found that the nation perceived to have the most corrupt public sector was Haiti, with a paltry score of 1.8. Barely above this were Myanmar and Guinea on 1.9.

Also on this score was Iraq, where corruption could be another problem as this nation struggles to establish a stable government. And the nation most involved in Iraq, the United States, would have found the corruption index un-comfortable reading.

Although the United States was in 20th place, its score had slipped significantly in the past year, according to Transparency Inter-national.

Of New Zealand's neighbours, Australia was ranked ninth with 8.7, but Papua New Guinea was near the bottom at 130th with a score of 2.4. Other South Pacific nations were not included because of a lack of sufficient survey information. But the presence of Transparency International chapters in Solomon Islands, Vanuatu and Fiji showed there were concerns about corruption in those nations, said Cave.

Overall, the corruption perceptions index found a strong correlation between corruption and poverty, with impoverished and failing states dominating the bottom of the list.

"Corruption traps millions in poverty," said Transparency Inter-national chairwoman Huguette Labelle. "Despite a decade of progress in establishing anti-corruption laws and regulations, today's results indicate that much remains to be done before we see meaningful improvements in the lives of the world's poorest citizens."

This link was reinforced by the identity of the other nations languishing at the bottom of the corruption index. With a score of 2 were the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Chad, Sudan and Bangladesh. Just above them were Uzbekistan, Equatorial Guinea, the Ivory Coast, Cambodia and Belarus.

Conversely seven of the top 10 nations were European, the exceptions being New Zealand, Singapore and Australia.

- The Press
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.