Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retire to New Zealand

pippete is offline Junior Member

Default Retire to New Zealand

[color=darkred:90c44294a3][/color:90c44294a3] :icon_question:
    I am 56, born in New Zeland but have been living in Australia for 36 years. I wonder if anyone knows what the deal is with residency if I was to return to New Zealand to live and soon to retire. My retired sister and her family still live there, and I have many cousins and other relatives.

Thanks, Pippete

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Pippete,

Welcome to the forum.

There are a couple of matters to address in your situation. If you were born in NZ, would you not already have NZ citizenship?

I?m sure, if you have been living in Australia for a long time and have residency (maybe even citizenship) there, it should automatically grant you similar status in NZ. By the same virtue that it?s said some immigrants deliberately seek NZ residency/citizenship so that they can then hop across the pond to enjoy the same rights in Australia, it stands to reason that the reverse should also apply. I wouldn?t think you?d have any problems in being allowed to enter and remain in NZ with that sort of background.

Perhaps someone else could confirm what I say, but I believe this is the case.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Do you have a NZ passport? If you have then you just come over as MB says. You say you were born in NZ but do you have NZ nationality that is the question.

Hi to all,
    And thanks to Mother Bear and Daisyspop for their replies. I am not sure what being a New Zealand Citizen means. I had citizenship while I lived there until I was 18 years old, but came to Australia without a passport because in those days one didn't need one. I took out citizenship in Australia after my children were born, and have been back to NZ many times since then but travelled on my Oz passport.

Does being born in NZ, even though I have citizenship in Australia, mean that I retain citizenship in NZ? I guess that is what I don't know. I know it will be different for my husband because he was born in Australia, but will pursue that later after I work out myown status.

I appreciate any clarification I can get through this forum because I have found it difficult to get any official information about New Zealanders returning to New Zealand to live.

Thanks again for any help,
    Pippete

:icon_cool:

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

I have a gut feeling that with or without a NZ passport you are a citizen of NZ by birth. I assume that you must have a birth certificate that shows where and when you were born. My best advice would be to contact NZ immigration and put the question to them. It's bound to cost, it always does, but I can't see why they won't regognise your birthright.

Blog Entries

I would agree with Daisyspop here. It's a difficult one to track down written evidence on. Perhaps you could contact and confirm your status with NZIS in their only office in Australia (which implies that it could be only non-Australians that are using it or need to use it). Oddly, it says calls will be answered through the National Contact Centre in Auckland.

The office is in Sydney and you can find the phone number by clicking on 'Contact details' on here but, before doing that, just take a quick look at the second paragraph on the page.
    Mother Bear

Default Kiwi or not Kiwi...

Thanks once again to those who answered my queries. It certainly is hard to get this information, and I will use the phone number at the Auckland call Centre you gave me the link for.

I did actually ring the Immigration Department, and the person that I spoke to wanted to make an appointment for me!! I said that I couldn't make it, but could she answer a question herself. Her simple answer to me was 'once a Kiwi, always a Kiwi....". I am not sure how accurate this was, so have decided to leave all other phone calls until I visit there next year.

However, I will continue to be interested in any other information people reading this may have.
    Thanks to all,
    Pippete :icon_question:

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

I'm not sure they should let you in on principal for 'deserting' the wonderful country to start with :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Why would you do that NZIS might have a chip on there shoulder and not let you. :icon_razz: :icon_razz:

Blog Entries

[quote:dc3fc47da2="SteveyC"]Why would you do that NZIS might have a [b:dc3fc47da2]ship[/b:dc3fc47da2] on there shoulder and not let you. :icon_razz: :icon_razz:[/quote:dc3fc47da2]

:icon_mrgreen: Very naughtycal!
    Mother Bear

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

What are you whittering on about dearest? :icon_wink: :icon_razz: :icon_wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast