Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't believe it!

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default I don't believe it!

Just reading my local paper to discover that according to Weedbusters whose job is to raise community awareness about pervasive weeds Montbretia, one of my favourite flowers, is a weed. They have produced a 2006 calendar of 'delightful but destructive invaders of New Zealands precious environment.' Other 'weeds' depicted are heather, cotoneaster, climbing spindleberry, plectanthus, mexican daisy,boneseed, taiwan cherry, yellow flag iris, pink ragwort and chilean flame creeper.
    Any of these would look great in your garden. Apparently it's a case of garden friend who jumped the fence - with the aid of vicious birds no doubt. www.weedbusters.org.nz

moggy is offline God like figure

Default Re: I don't believe it!

[quote:ebb9daa81b="Daisyspop"]cotoneaster,

Any of these would look great in your garden.[/quote:ebb9daa81b]

not in my garden it wouldn't, I'm allergic to the evil plant.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Congratulations on finding an even more seemingly useless, dullard information then the ones MB finds hehe. Quality :icon_lol: , who wakes up in the morning and thinks hmmm today I'm gonna research WEEDS.

Weed I understand weeds I just don't get. However I am intrigued and will refer to this post when I have a NZ garden hehe.

(confirming the fact that whilst I mock I am actually grateful for your input in case you were getting offended :icon_biggrin: )

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you were a keen gardener, Stevey, you?d appreciate information like that. All these ?useless? bits of information are still relative to life in NZ and are of some degree of interest to us. It?s not all visas, permits and residency on here and it?s nice to see an alternative subject discussed. Some people will be interested, some people won?t, but there?s no harm done. It keeps the forum alive and kicking while everyone is waiting for progress in their applications, so that can?t be bad.
    [img:35ca9620d3]http://home-3.worldonline.nl/~tl231984/img/bloem2.gif[/img:35ca9620d3]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

The point I'm making, albeit clumsily, is that even weeds are beautiful here. Think about it, the place is so covered in flora that they call some of them weeds. Too much of a good thing? Sometimes I think that they take environmental issues a bit too seriously here - a land where MAF is more feared than Inland Revenue.

[quote:b2c36c2686="Daisyspop"] I think that they take environmental issues a bit too seriously here - a land where MAF is more feared than Inland Revenue.[/quote:b2c36c2686]

I have to disagree with you. Look at the UK which had had little or no control for many years - rabbits were introduced and got out of control so we had to introduce mixamatosis to control it.
    Food and mouth cause havoc with our farming and tourism industries
    Many plants are now illegal to cultivate in the UK because of their invasive natures.
    How many red squirrels do we have left?

Lets face it the dreaded white tail spider in NZ is not native. The introduction of "harmless" deer almost completely ruined the ecology of the south island. The possum is still wrecking havoc with the vegetation and is classed as vermin. The introduced gorse has recked many acres of native bush - at least the native bush that wasn't removed by the early settlers.
    Much of the early cleared land was abandoned as being unfarmable - so the land was cleared for nothing

For the UK it is too late to protect our native species and ecology, NZ still has a chance and they are passionate about it. That is why the rivers still (mainly) run clear blue (on SI anyway) why the seas are crystal clear, why it is still safe to take seafood from the beaches.

Most importantly it is why they are never going to have a nuclear power station.

Coulliette is offline Member

[quote:c543359526] Most importantly it is why they are never going to have a nuclear power station.[/quote:c543359526]

I currently live about 10 or so km from one (and have for 6 years), and it still freaks me out to see the signs on the road which read "Power Plant Evacuation Route", and to hear them test the sirens. It definitely doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside....unless that's the radiation. :icon_eek: I also think NZ should be serious about perserving its "greenness" (word?) Sure, some things are going to be a pain in the, well, you know....but NZ is one of the last places on earth that still has a chance of being saved. The US and UK are way past the point of revival. It is sad, though that such beautiful flowers are considered weeds. :icon_sad:

nattydread is offline God like figure

a weed by any other name....

somebody once said (kind of)

[quote:a3e1077b80="nattydread"]a weed by any other name....

somebody once said (kind of)[/quote:a3e1077b80]

exactly

but there are also some rather beautiful plants in the UK which are also considered a threat to our wildlife. Plants that were originally brought in as garden plants and are now a nusance - such as the beautiful exotic Rhododendron bush.
    I can understand why Montbretia(crocosmia) has become a weed, the flowers are lovely, but if the bulbs are not lifted and split regularly to maintain smallish clumps , then they soon take over and digging a large clump out can be very difficult.
    Heather again, though beautiful in August has to be maintained by burning in order to maintain biodiversity on moor land. If not burnt in a regular cycle the heather soon replaces all plants and become woody and of no use to the farmer. In a country where fires are strictly regulated due to danger of massive fires breaking out during dry spells, it would obviously be hard to maintain a moor by fire in this way.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

[quote:23784bd6fa="Mother Bear"]If you were a keen gardener, Stevey, you?d appreciate information like that. All these ?useless? bits of information are still relative to life in NZ and are of some degree of interest to us. It?s not all visas, permits and residency on here and it?s nice to see an alternative subject discussed. Some people will be interested, some people won?t, but there?s no harm done. It keeps the forum alive and kicking while everyone is waiting for progress in their applications, so that can?t be bad.
    [img:23784bd6fa]http://home-3.worldonline.nl/~tl231984/img/bloem2.gif[/img:23784bd6fa][/quote:23784bd6fa]

Errrr isn't that what I said in between the brackets above almost exactly???

I'm only winding :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_razz: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast