Thread: Good for the community?

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default Good for the community?

The local free newspaper The Franklin County News, two issues a week, is really a vehicle for realtors and local shopkeepers but: every Thursday a police report is issued which lists and plots on a streetmap, the burglaries during the past week. I don't know if this is the norm in NZ but I find it extremely useful. Firstly it helps to identify, for new house purchasers, the areas of consistent risk, but secondly it serves as a weekly reminder to keep security in mind in all aspects of life. The report also contains listings of offences and convictions (far more car thieves and drunken drivers than nabbed burglars), and a report from the local Senior Sergeant of Police. Interestingly and somewhat surprisingly he tends to identify stretches of road or intersections that will be receiving particular attention over the coming week. Doesn't seem to deter the people reported the following week as being caught at those locations though.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Good for the community?

[quote:b4140258a4="Daisyspop"]Interestingly and somewhat surprisingly he tends to identify stretches of road or intersections that will be receiving particular attention over the coming week. Doesn't seem to deter the people reported the following week as being caught at those locations though.[/quote:b4140258a4]

Well, they've only got themselves to blame then. You can but warn them.

I think I'd be spitting mad if some little jerks were stopping me selling my house, just because they'd had a 'shopping' spree in my street.

What do you think of the 'Name and shame' idea where shopkeepers identify those caught stealing on their premises? I don't believe they can publicly decry these people, but are allowed distribution of their details to other shopkeepers in the area. I'm sure it would cut down this type of crime if they were allowed to publicly display them.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default Good for the community?

They are not shy to publish offenders names here, most cases are in the public domain.

Reminds me of the sign I saw on the back of a car just before I left teh UK. "No hand signals, convicted arab shoplifter".